The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New York office/studio rental prices Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th August 2007
no ssl yet 
New York office/studio rental prices

Guys I know someone here knows. I was doing some work in NY at a spot near W 51st and Broadway. I forgot to ask what the rent was there. Does anyone here have an idea? (I know of an engineer that has a spot in the building, but I don't know his GS name, otherwise I would have PM'd him).
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Guys I know someone here knows. I was doing some work in NY at a spot near W 51st and Broadway. I forgot to ask what the rent was there. Does anyone here have an idea? (I know of an engineer that has a spot in the building, but I don't know his GS name, otherwise I would have PM'd him).
I looked for about 1/2 a second before deciding it was waaaaaaaay too expensive.
$2500+ a month for a small room (15 x 20).
$5000+ for a two room studio.
It is insane.

New Jersey is much better you can get something quite decent for $2000 a month in Jersey City/Newark.

Where I am in the country you can get a large house on a decent piece of land (we have 1/2 an acre) for around $2200-$2500.
Old 20th August 2007
One with big hooves

51st & Broadway is PRIME real estate in NYC...

Last year I was looking at a tape machine that came out of a studio around there, maybe it was 63rd or so... close enough. The guy said he closed that spot after many decades, big tracking room... 2-3 room complex when the rent went over something astromical... I think $15k per month + utilities or something like that & they wanted to raise it again...

For comparison, I think he said they were paying around $4000 a month in the early 90s...

Could be off on those figures, but it's EXPENSIVE!
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
New Jersey is much better you can get something quite decent for $2000 a month in Jersey City/Newark.

lock it in with a long lease, because jersey city is going the way of williamsburg. so is hoboken, for that matter.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 20th August 2007
no ssl yet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
51st & Broadway is PRIME real estate in NYC...

Last year I was looking at a tape machine that came out of a studio around there, maybe it was 63rd or so... close enough. The guy said he closed that spot after many decades, big tracking room... 2-3 room complex when the rent went over something astromical... I think $15k per month + utilities or something like that & they wanted to raise it again...

For comparison, I think he said they were paying around $4000 a month in the early 90s...

Could be off on those figures, but it's EXPENSIVE!
Yeah I figured the spot I was at was between $7500 and $10k a month.

(Too rich for my blood. I'll fold).
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I heard Sony over on 54th is closing or already has.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Hehe . . . Manhattan? If you have to ask, you can't afford it. ;-)

Even Williamsburg, here in Brooklyn, is getting crazy. I'm all the way out to the border of Williamsburg and Bushwick, and stuff is even getting insane out here! Even though it's right smack (or should I say "crack") in 'da hood'. There's a whole cabal of Hasidic landlords (no slam on the Hasidim in general, but these landlords are outright criminal) who are buying up ALL of the property out here, "renovating" it (with very poor quality work and materials, i.e., illegal labour, not up to code, etc.), renting the places out for inflated "market" rates. Some of these areas aren't even worthy of being called "transitional neighbourhoods" yet, and they are charging an arm and all three legs. And then they don't fix things, leave the buildings with hundreds of open violations. It's appalling, really.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

it really is.
yeah. if you have to ask... hahaha.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

North Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . . North

Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . .North Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . .

North Dallas. . . .North Dallas. . . .heh

Dallas Jobs - Free Job Posting. 95 Dallas Jobs Categories. Dallas Computer Jobs: HealthCare Jobs: Sales: IT: Administrative: Hourly Jobs in DALLAS and Resume Search.

Dallas Jobs on CareerBuilder.com

dallas.employmentguide.com/

Dallas Jobs, Dallas job search, Dallas Texas jobs
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

on 2nd thought.....I dont know if I can take another "RONEAGLE" band member....heh
Old 21st August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
lock it in with a long lease, because jersey city is going the way of williamsburg. so is hoboken, for that matter.
Last I checked Hoboken/Weehawken was already "insane" for apartment/condo rentals... lots of yuppie middle-managment 30 somethings paying buttloads for what I'd call "small" apartments... One of my friends quit his corprate IT gig and moved to Boulder CO, he & his wife bought a house and their mortage is less then what they were paying to rent a place in Hoboken. The spaces in old factory buildings are pretty well gone too. Becoming condo's & Starbucks...

A few years back my shop was in a space off rt 120 in East Rutherford, just a couple minutes from Giants Stadium & the Lincoln Tunnel... Big, BIG old brick industrial building the size of a city block, built around the turn of the 19th/20th century...

2500' sq feet on the second floor was like $1500 a month + utilites & other overhead. Had a nice long lease too... things were good, was booked for the next three months solid when I came back after a long weekend to find giant multi-colored notices all over the building...

The powers that be (town, EPA, developers etc.) had pushed through the tape & gave EVERYONE 30 day notice that we had to vacate the premesis...

The FBI played a small role in that too... quite the interesting story for some other time!

Anyway, the building had been for sale for a long time but wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, then one day... poof.

Partys over.

I'm pretty sure it's a mini-mall now. Match the one they had put up across the street.

Or its condos...
Old 21st August 2007
no ssl yet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
North Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . . North

Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . .North Dallas. . . . North Dallas. . . .

North Dallas. . . .North Dallas. . . .heh

Dallas Jobs - Free Job Posting. 95 Dallas Jobs Categories. Dallas Computer Jobs: HealthCare Jobs: Sales: IT: Administrative: Hourly Jobs in DALLAS and Resume Search.

Dallas Jobs on CareerBuilder.com

dallas.employmentguide.com/

Dallas Jobs, Dallas job search, Dallas Texas jobs

Don't know man I just love being in NY. But not enough to pay 10 stacks a month.

I'll end up moving here, but I I won't be running a studio in Manhattan.

OK so Fellas if I'm working in NY, what part of Jersey should I live in? Or would I be better somewhere like CO op city in the Bronx?

What will I pay for a 1 or 2 bedroom apt?
Old 21st August 2007

Check out spots in Brooklyn and Harlem before looking at the Bronx.

A lot of guys are putting studios in those two areas.... makes sense because it's right there and a lot cheaper.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search