The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yo another "help me choose" thread Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th August 2007
Yo another "help me choose" thread

Yo whats good everybody? I know this is my first post but....I'm not really a noob, cause i'd like to have consider myself a "silent non registered member" for sometime now, but I need help choosing a somewhat inexpensive compressor for tracking....mostly Vocals (R&B and some rap). after listening to some "neve 1073 sound a likes" shootout sound samples I've decided I'm getting a Pacifica next week and I need a compressor to keep things in control while recording, I'll be mostly tracking R&B artist including myself, (and some keyboards/drum samples) I myself have a very dynamic voice, so while tracking clipping can quickly become a problem.....I have a avalon 737sp...It's ok for some stuff (acoustic guitar), but it dosent really do it for me...(hype!) the character is too warm and rounded (tubey), I perfer my sound more crisp and clear...edgy (vocals sat better in mixes when I was using $50 berigher preamp) and the comp is good for some stuff...but its not fast or agressive enough to deal with trasients (hip hop drums), and or singers who can get loud. I eventually will get a distressor or a 1176, but for now I have to make a cost effective buy (just for a few months). I've been reading about the dbx 160x being a good comp for hip hop and R&B but I dont think people understand that THEY ARE NOT THE SAME GENRE!! (Real) R&B takes much more detail/precision and is far more complex than most Hiphop, and is arguably the hardest to mix as well as the most track consuming/stacking genre of music. I also have been reading about the Art pro vla and hear good things about them.....bottom line I need a bang 4 my buck compressor that is transparent, yet more agressive than the 737's...stereo input would be nice (for synths) but not nessecary. I just need to keep peaks under control

I forgot to note I also have a focusrite trackmaster pro, I like the agression of the comp but I dont like the color of the pre.....and It's not that I wouldn't consider a colored comp, its just I dont want to be cautious of degrading or unfavorably coloring the signal coming from the pacifica. If you need to understand the type of music I'll be doing...think of vocalist like Sisqo/dru hill, Jodeci/K-ci & jojo, Beyonce/destinys child, Ginuwine even Usher...you know heavy hitters in the booth (good ol 90's R&B)....also if you want an example of some of my older work you can check out my pages..... MySpace.com - IMMACI (em-ah-see) - Seattle. Atlanta, Georgia - R&B / Hip Hop / Soul - www.myspace.com/immaci <=Im the lead singer and MySpace.com - Child of vision aka R'shonn - SEATTLE, Washington - R&B / Hip Hop / Soul - www.myspace.com/childofvision1 <= still under construction

sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance!!

Holla!!!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search