The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a rather cheap tube preamp which is still great... Single-Channel Preamps
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter H. Boer View Post
The 5001 can be modified. Mine was upgraded with better tubes, better caps and and with an upgraded tranny so that the plates get fed a higher voltage. Different class of pre-amp after thatheh

The power supply is crucial in tube circuits; the tube plate doesn't need much current but it needs a ****load of voltage to get the kind of headroom and clarity only tubes can deliver.

Power supply design is where most circuits out there, tube or otherwise, come up short, because it's one of the easiest places to skimp and make something that's merely passable but that shaves a decent chunk off the cost-to-build.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 14th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter H. Boer View Post
The 5001 can be modified. Mine was upgraded with better tubes, better caps and and with an upgraded tranny so that the plates get fed a higher voltage.
Different class of pre-amp after thatheh

Check with machinator who did the mods to mine
You rule Peter. Gregory, thank you also for the extremely enlightening info. Your UBK Fatso looks like a beast!

I'm very aware of the "crappy power supply" phenomena with a lot of today's low budget gear. I definitely have some thinking to do. Possibly testing if, I can get my hands on some of the options before buying.

Hey Peter, It sounds like you're pretty fond of the TLA after the upgrades. I've tested a Dual Valve once and wasn't really impressed. However, I really like the VTC at Millbrook. Possibly worlds apart from the 5001 but, have you ever tried it against other decent tube pre's since the upgrade?

Last edited by El Nino; 14th March 2010 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 14th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove View Post
Just when you thought you failed, you have actually sailed. Sail on while the wind blows.
LMFAO! Right on!
Old 14th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
However, I really like the VTC at Millbrook.

Might your experience also have something to do with the mics, the room, and the engineer at Millbrook?

Gregory Scott - ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search