The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where/Who to fix broken keyboard key?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Where/Who to fix broken keyboard key?

So the hammer action on one key of my M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 has farted out. It still triggers fine but is now kind of just an unweighted synthesizer key.

I bought the keyboard off a fellow Gearslut so no warranty for me. Is it possible that this might be an easy fix to perform myself if I just open it up and see if something has shifted out of place? If not, I would assume that most electronics/instrument repair places fix keys. How much is too much to pay? Obviously this isn't an expensive keyboard so if it's anything but extremely cheap I think I'll opt out. Thanks...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know about that particular one, but usually on M-Audio keyboards, the sensors are all on a big board so you'd have to replace the whole board, which may or may not be available, or cost-effective.

I believe there are two sensors per key; the key contacts one first and the other second and computes velocity based on the difference.

But the ones I've taken apart aren't modular; it would be interesting to crack the lid open and check the Pro 88, though.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

it's a serious pain in the ass but doable... most repair shops dont want to sell parts so ya may have a hard time sourcing the damn thing... as an alternative take one from the extreme ends tha ya dont use much and move it to the bad position.... or if your real lucky it's just a glued weight and alittle elmers should do the trick...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search