The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the deal with Oram?! Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 20th August 2007
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
prismtheory's Avatar
 

What is the deal with Oram?!

I have used his octosonic pres...and I honestly liked them very much....but man his stuff is almost impossible to find. I'm interested in a Dream Series or maybe even a cheaper 8t for my studio POSSIBLY...my question is....are there ANY dealers in the US that have them? Noone seems to have heard them, seen them, or carry them.
I mean the UK is an option but who is going to pay that shipping cost?

I'm interested in an affordable console that is going to "enhance the sound in a good way...not some mackie soundcraft board"...I'm quite satisfied mixing in the box on my HD rig.
Old 20th August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
ricfoxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by prismtheory View Post
I have used his octosonic pres...and I honestly liked them very much....but man his stuff is almost impossible to find. I'm interested in a Dream Series or maybe even a cheaper 8t for my studio POSSIBLY...my question is....are there ANY dealers in the US that have them? Noone seems to have heard them, seen them, or carry them.
I mean the UK is an option but who is going to pay that shipping cost?

I'm interested in an affordable console that is going to "enhance the sound in a good way...not some mackie soundcraft board"...I'm quite satisfied mixing in the box on my HD rig.
I have the 8T. It takes 4 to 6 months to get one. The board sounds good. I bought my board from the US dealer...Double Take Studio Services in NY.

Ric
Old 22nd August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Interesting thread.

Knowing absolutely nothing about Oram (just a home studio guy here) I picked up a 4T strip when it was offered to me at a good price (used). It stepped me up some from my Presonus stuff as front end to my MBox.

And.....I like it. It has character.

Anybody have an extra beverage?
Old 22nd August 2007
  #4
Gear Addict
 
hawaii82's Avatar
 

Damn;
what the F...!!!!
I have an 8t and I love the sound...I'm so tired to read the "no sense" battle between toft & Oram,
I've met John Oram and we had a really nice and interesting chat together...
people are talking maybe too much without knowing a clue of the problem..
Anyway I can't understand all this critics from people don't even try Oram stuff...

Please stop this ****ing war...we're talking about sound here or not ?
Old 22nd August 2007
  #5
Gear Addict
 
The Reel Thing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Interesting thread.

Knowing absolutely nothing about Oram (just a home studio guy here) I picked up a 4T strip when it was offered to me at a good price (used). It stepped me up some from my Presonus stuff as front end to my MBox.

And.....I like it. It has character.

Anybody have an extra beverage?
see that is an interesting aspect that i've come across pretty often: people who haven't read all the threads and haven't heard the bad hype, but happen to work on a piece of John Oram's equipment, do like it.

cause apart from all that he might be or might not be or might have said or not said - the man makes fabulous gear. i've had an Oram BEQ 24 here for 7 years now without a single flaw, working day in day out. the Trident S20 to me is by far the best and most versatile mic pre in this price range that's available on the market, and it also works day in day out without any problems.

these are the facts, everything else i couldn't care less about.

tom
Old 22nd August 2007
  #6
CKK
Lives for gear
 
CKK's Avatar
 

+1 more happy owner of Oram gear here.

And yes, Im also tired of people bashing gear they most likely havnt had their hands on.

fuuck of
Old 22nd August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
CKK, apparently Ricfoxx (at the top of this thread) Had to wait 4 - 6 months to get one..

There is another thread on this board where he is looking for someone to buy it off him.. ??

Ric, can you shed some light as to why you are selling yours?
Old 22nd August 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
ricfoxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
CKK, apparently Ricfoxx (at the top of this thread) Had to wait 4 - 6 months to get one..

There is another thread on this board where he is looking for someone to buy it off him.. ??

Ric, can you shed some light as to why you are selling yours?
Bought it for my personal studio and now have been spending all the time at a commercial studio that I have full access to. It has literally been used about 5 or 6 times. It does sound good real good. I have put up sound samples of the pre's against seventh circle J99 and Digi 002 I did at the house in spare time. The pres are very useable but not my first choice but head and shoulders above prosumer crap. EQ is good. The board is warm and clean and not noisy at all and running mixes thru it definitely adds mojo.

I do not know Oram, I have talked to him a couple of times and he seemed like an interesting individual and talked to me not only about audio but other things. I have heard that he can be hard to deal with sometimes and yes it took me a long time to get my board (4 months) 3 months longer than they promised . But I think the reason he gets a hard time is because of his qwirky personality not the way that his stuff sounds!

You really have to be carefull of what you believe in these forums because not everybody is on the up and up! Lots of crap from people who do not know their ass from their head and I hate when people attack people and make it personal.

Maybe he deserves it, MAYBE HE DOESNT??????

Last edited by ricfoxx; 23rd August 2007 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Old 23rd August 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

I have an S20. It's a pretty good preamp. The knobs feel kind of cheap and the "light show" given by the preamp always makes me scratch my head. It glows brighter the harder you push it. It's not a tube preamp. But overall, I think it sounds great on my acoustic and I would recommend this. I have no clue how well their consoles work.


As far as the Oram/Trident site goes, it's very cheesy. If you can afford to build consoles, you can afford to pay someone $1000 to make a professional looking website. It's screaming "homemade 1993 website". I do get the impression (from their own site) that they are not humble. I have heard many people talk smack about their gear. I just wanted to say that I am happy with my S20 and have also used the 4T preamp. The 4T channel strip, I wasn't a fan of. I did not like the compression or EQ on it.

As far as finding one of their consoles goes, you can order them at Guitar Center. Your local Guitar Center Pro Audio associate may not know that, but it's true.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 

In my experience 80% of the people who complain about John Oram stuff have never even touched one of his pieces and only speak badly because they "heard" stories.

I have three S20 preamps. They are f$cking superb. Very smooth and clean and detailed, my absolute favorite vocal pre and I have heard a LOT. They also sound good on everything else that you can think of recording.

John Oram hasn't done anything to me and I don't give a rats ass if sammy heard from susie who heard it from her kid brother tony that John Oram pissed on his birthday cake. Save the drama and press record.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
china jam's Avatar
 

I've had an S20 for a while now..apart from the crap knobs (who cares??) it's a wicked preamp for the price.

John Oram is sooo modest, leave him alone.

Last edited by china jam; 23rd August 2007 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 23rd August 2007
  #12
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I have an S20. It's a pretty good preamp. The knobs feel kind of cheap and the "light show" given by the preamp always makes me scratch my head. It glows brighter the harder you push it. It's not a tube preamp. But overall, I think it sounds great on my acoustic and I would recommend this. I have no clue how well their consoles work.


As far as the Oram/Trident site goes, it's very cheesy. If you can afford to build consoles, you can afford to pay someone $1000 to make a professional looking website. It's screaming "homemade 1993 website". I do get the impression (from their own site) that they are not humble. I have heard many people talk smack about their gear. I just wanted to say that I am happy with my S20 and have also used the 4T preamp. The 4T channel strip, I wasn't a fan of. I did not like the compression or EQ on it.

As far as finding one of their consoles goes, you can order them at Guitar Center. Your local Guitar Center Pro Audio associate may not know that, but it's true.
Having worked as a [i]professional[/b] "webdesigner", I gotta say that few sites in the biz are really good.
At least clicking on a few banners on gearslutz makes me believe so.

Which is a shame, because the more professional the company is (Sennheiser, AKG, Digidesign beeing examples), the better the webdesign and programming should be.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

[QUOTE=bexarametric;1453213]
As far as the Oram/Trident site goes, it's very cheesy. If you can afford to build consoles, you can afford to pay someone $1000 to make a professional looking website. QUOTE]


For your information, building an all analog website is neither easy or cheap!heh
Old 23rd August 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
haryy's Avatar
I'd like to add that when i worked as a salesman in a pro gear shop back in the millenium,oram stuff was the best sounding in there especially the eq.

Don't know about their service though because the company stoped selling them soon after i left.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #15
The OF topic bashing in this thread was PITA for me to clear up.

Knock it off please, the original poster just wondered where Oram stuff was available in the US - SIMPLE AS THAT.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #16
CKK
Lives for gear
 
CKK's Avatar
 

Drop oram/trident a mail and ask about their dealers in the US.

Some years ago I mailed John about his gear. He mailed me back asking for my phone number and less than 2 hours later I've got him live on my cell.

Despite all the wommit you read around here about him and his products, he's a nice guy - a little mad (in a good way), but then again, arent we all.

heh
Old 23rd August 2007
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKK View Post
Drop oram/trident a mail and ask about their dealers in the US.

Some years ago I mailed John about his gear. He mailed me back asking for my phone number and less than 2 hours later I've got him live on my cell.

Despite all the wommit you read around here about him and his products, he's a nice guy - a little mad (in a good way), but then again, arent we all.

heh
agreed
Old 24th August 2007
  #18
John Oram himself, or a rep from his company, is pretty easy to get hold of via email or phone; he can talk your ear off. If the stuff isn't widely seen in the states, I'd guess there must be either lack of supply or lack of demand. Still, I'm sure you can easily order some if you want to. I think even Guitar Center can order it for you, and they aren't exactly low profile!
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Ken Lewis / High end
6
Ken Lewis / Geekslutz forum
5
Ciozzi / High end
1
Chad / So much gear, so little time
84
djborrmann / High end
19

Forum Jump
Forum Jump