The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stuck in a Conundrum. Audio Interfaces
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Stuck in a Conundrum.

Hey guys, I'm new to the board but have been lurking for some time.

I'll get to the point, I'm stuck in a situation where I don't know my next move. Currently I own two M-Audio Delta 1010's and considering modding them by BLA, but another option would be scratch that idea all together and get a 002 or 003 instead and get that modded by BLA. Think there would be major difference between the two modded units? Personally, I think there could be. On top of that the ADAT is aways a nice option with the 002 as well.

So I either spend about $700 modding my 1010's or try and sell them getting a 002 for about the same price and modding that.

What does everyone think my move should be?

Thanks for your time

-ted
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Without having a modded Digi and modded Delta side by side to compare it's going to hard to come to an informed decision. I've looked into having BLA mod my Delta 1010 and here's a few things that I've come to find out.

According to BLA, the 002 and 1010 use the same converters. In neither case do they upgrade the converters - they upgrade the analog section and the clock. In the case of the 002 they also can upgrade the preamps but that's a different matter.

I'm pretty sure it's on the TapeOp board that somebody recorded files with a BLA modded 002 and a stock 002. If you search for Black Lion I think you will find the thread. When they avoided the preamps and used the line-ins the samples sounded very similar to my ears. Some people seemed to hear a larger difference than I or several others could but as far as I was concerned the difference was minuscule compared to the difference in mics or preamps. The preamp upgrades were easily distinguishable, however.

One thing I don't understand and I would appreciate anyone explaining is whether or not the analog section upgrade affects the sound of the finished product if you mix entirely ITB. I can understand how the improvement in sound would make your mixing and monitoring better but does it change the sound of the finished CD when played on another system?

Based on the samples posted on TapeOp I decided to put my money elsewhere for the time being because I've got a lot of room to upgrade my mics and preamps. The other factor for me is that I'm quite happy with the sound of my Delta 1010 as is. At this stage of the game my converters are quite a ways down the list as far as things holding me back.

Before I decide on upgrading my 1010 or getting a new converter I'll probably pop the 50 bucks for the 3D Audio converter shootout CD. It includes the Delta 1010 and 27 others. I would be interested to hear the scope of difference between the various brands. AFAIK this is the only test like this available.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

i've got a 1010 and last year i added an apogee minime to the setup, running the minime as the master wordclock for the 1010.

i can't begin to describe the improvement in sound i heard from the 1010.....but i'll try. heh tighter low end, more forward and creamy (present) midrange and the highs softened (less hard/harsh sounding) were the immediate differences i heard. what this says to me is that the converters in the 1010 are pretty decent--but the clock could use some improvement.

i know the BLA mod addresses (or can address) the clock issue.......but you may be better off sourcing a master clock rather than going the BLA route. i couldn't tell ya.

i have no experience with the digidesign interfaces......

YMMV

cheers,
wade

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search