The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best stand alone HD recorder Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Best stand alone HD recorder

Hello Slutz,

I would appreciate some opinions on what stand alone HD recorder to get for live applications. It needs to be ROCK solid and have 16 or 24 tracks. It also needs to have individual analog outputs. What do you think? Thanks.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

You could consider an older Radar.

I used a Fostex D2424lv (24 analog I/O plus 24 ADAT I/O) for quite a while (including live recording) and it never let me down. I replaced with SSL Alphalink converters and noticed a big improvement sonically but the Fostex was really fine for what it costs especially considering you have a great remote included.. at least motu level in any case.

Apparantly the Alesis HD24 sounds better, but I have no experience.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
Radar is the OB and mobile standard and is the only rock-solid recorder I have come across.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

If the HD24(XR) isn't rock-solid then I dunno what is. I have used one day in and day out for years and haven't had a single glitch. Put it on a UPS and you've got something very dependable. Check out the HD24 newsgroup on Yahoo; there is lots of info there from folks who use it for live recording.

-synthoid
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

I like the Fostex D2424lv or the Akai DR16
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

i've used an HD24 lots for live recording and it's far from solid. For playback it's rock but for recording it's not reliable at all. It has a habit of stopping recording when exposed to loud bass. If you do get one you need to strongly consider the casing you put it in and getting enough loomage to get as far away from the noise as possible.
ta,

bulley
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

a Radar is the only professional solution for this job.

all other standalone HD recorders (all of them Radar clones anyway) might be fine reliabilitywise. i mean, a standalone unit per se should be reliable in these applications, what else would it be good for?

but soundwise a Radar gives you results you can use for any major DVD or live album release. with other machines that is not necessarily the case...

tom
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd say a Radar would be the ultimate choice for this, but if funds can't support that purchase, the HD24XR is a nice machine. I recently switched over to one of these in my studio and was very impressed with the quality of the audio, and it seems to have tons of headroom. It actually exceeded my expectations and I'm really not even considering outboard converters at the moment. It has some limitations, but is pretty flexible on most counts. Using it for live recording would be another issue. I expect that it would be solid based on much of what I've read, but the comment about bass vibrations effecting the operation is an interesting one.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

For stand alone, it's not even a contest... RADAR!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
The MX2424 is a great machine, not to get Jim Williams started on a rant.....

Unfortuately prematurely discontinued by Tascam it write both BWav and SD2, formats disks in Mac or Windows formats, can run in standard or Tape mode.

It is the only machine with mix mode, so you can mix back to a second set of tracks, even if you have a full 24 running. It uses Kindston trays so you can drop the data directly into your DAW.

Radar is the obvious big dog, but I've done tons of full records on my MX and still use it for remotes in the PT era. I 've tracked a dozen live album without a blip.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for your thoughts... the unit is gonna be on stage and used for playback only. Also needs to be relatively cheap!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Look for a second hand 16 bit Radar I system. Should be cheap because of the 16bit thing, but TBH it#s a good sounding 16 bit and for playback, not a problem I'd say.
Otherwise, the Fostex is cheap...I paid €1000 new..
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

HD24XR is relatively inexpensive, and it's a good machine. I'm very happy with mine - I use it in the studio but it was live sound guys that introduced me to it. I know a guy with a very large sound company in Phoenix that swears by them.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Look for a second hand 16 bit Radar I system. Should be cheap because of the 16bit thing, but TBH it#s a good sounding 16 bit and for playback, not a problem I'd say.
Otherwise, the Fostex is cheap...I paid €1000 new..
The Akai DR series has great converters for 16 bit as well.
Im not up to date on any Radar stuff.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

I love stand alone recorders, i plan to use them as long as they are in working condition, they provide great sound,ive always loved the DR4, DR16 even though they are 16 bit they are huge sound, VGA monitors on all, been using them since 1995 with no issues. I have the Fostex series 24LV and its 24 bit, not a huge difference in band work, however i like the 24 bit for bluegrass, acoustic and stuff that requires less noise.
Stand alone
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydicky View Post
Hello Slutz,

I would appreciate some opinions on what stand alone HD recorder to get for live applications. It needs to be ROCK solid and have 16 or 24 tracks. It also needs to have individual analog outputs. What do you think? Thanks.
I WOULD RECOMMEND THE ALESIS HD24 IT WORKS VERY WELL FOR AN HONEST PRICE.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

i have a Radar 1 for sale (16 bit) w/ session controller

PM me if you're interested.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
I have the Fostex D2424LV and I use it for studio use. It has never screwed up once. I bought it after years of happiness with the original D80. The whole front panel comes off as a full-feature remote with full metering and everything except the power button. My remote is on a 25' extension cable - don't know just how far it can really go. Has TRS i/o, ADAT lightpipe i/o and word clock i/o standard.
Old 20th August 2007
the Alesis is a great unit
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
I have the Fostex D2424LV and I use it for studio use. It has never screwed up once. I bought it after years of happiness with the original D80. The whole front panel comes off as a full-feature remote with full metering and everything except the power button. My remote is on a 25' extension cable - don't know just how far it can really go. Has TRS i/o, ADAT lightpipe i/o and word clock i/o standard.
I have both, fostex and Akai, both are great but the akai is much cleaner than the fostex. Converters must play a roll.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search