The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann TLM 103 Condenser Microphones
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
Actuallly...with a 1073 and a 1176 it sounds good, but more expensive mics will still sound better....

If you have a poor preamp its goona sound thing and harsh....
? Dude is asking about a $500 mic!
Maybe he should buy it and get an 1176 and 1073 to go with it?
...with his extra $6000?
(see below)

Last edited by shreddoggie; 27th November 2012 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 29th December 2012
i have gotten great sounds with this mic for years. To those who suggest it is shrill or requires $4,000 of preamps and compressors to sound good, I say nix, nix. Before I knew anything about anything in terms of recording, 4 months after learning Pro Tools and recording with a cheap, late 90's Presonus mic pre with 3 sample rates all the way up to 48k and without knowing squat about signal to noise ratios or gain or even what phantom power was I recorded this: The Station Agent (9/12) Movie CLIP - Walking the Right of Way (2003) HD - YouTube
i know it's buried under dialogue but the track still sounds great. you can probably find a streaming version of an mp3 of this somewhere.
This track has singing saw, bowed banjo, banjo, acoustic guitars, bass drum.

I've recorded saxes, trumpets, pedal steel, marshall stack electric guitars, vocals, drums, vocal groups, piano, percussion and more with this. My mic preamps have improved and I have learned a bit more about what I'm doing and have run into limitations with this mic but it has been a great all rounder for me for years.

Anyone interested in this microphone should buy it and use it with confidence and totally without buyer's remorse.
Old 29th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
? Dude is asking about a $500 mic!
Maybe he should buy it and get an 1176 and 1073 to go with it?
...with his extra $6000?
(see below)
To be fair, I think the the point that poster was trying to make, one with which I disagree) is that this is a value mic if you're adding it to a well equipped studio but that it doesn't play well with cheap gear. As i tried to say in my above post, I disagree.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Nut

Kinda sick of seeing the hate the TLM103 gets....I know this an old thread but still. I run this through a winfinity 710 in a semi treated room for vocals and acc. gtr and I get fantasic results. YouTube John River and Carter Behnke to see examples of my work with that setup.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search