The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap nearfields to go with Blue Sky's... Studio Monitors
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Cheap nearfields to go with Blue Sky's...

OK. Here's the deal. I have a relatively small control room and I've always had problems with my mixes translating to other environments... especially my car. Stuff that will sound "pretty good" or "great" in my room will sound like dog poop in my car... just very "dull" and "distant" (like I have to turn it up REAL loud just to hear any detail).

To help with this issue, I purchased a pair of Dynaudio BM5A's a while back. I had some initial concerns (after auditioning them in the store) that they might be a little too "nice" sounding... and unfortunately, my concerns were right. They're just too hyped in the high end (like my brother's Genelec 1030's). Stuff will sound just plain AMAZING on these things, but dull and lifeless in my car.

So... I've decided to go with my second choice (from back when I was looking at the BM5A's) and get a set of Blue Sky SAT 5 (ProDesks) with the Sub 8. Hopefully these will be a little more neutral.

Anyway, now that I've wasted all that time on backstory... here's the actual question.

I've finally come to the amazing conclusion that I shouldn't rely on just one set of monitors while mixing/mastering. (yeah, I know... I'm the first one to ever think that up ). Anyway... what I'd like is a cheap, but not awful sounding, pair of nearfields to go with my Blue Sky set. This way I can switch between the two and make sure that what sounds really good on the Blue Sky's doesn't sound like manure on the other monitors. I'm basically looking for something that serves as an "NS10"... i.e. "If it sounds good on these, it'll sound good on anything."

So what's a good, low-end pair of nearfields that would compliment some Blue Sky's in a small room?

WATYF
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
avantones.

soon to be available in a powered form; for now, join the pepsi generation and pick up a pair for somewhere approaching $200 new, pull out your big brother's old marantz or pioneer (or whatever) stereo receiver/integrated amplifier (or buy one off ebay or from a thrift store for pennies on the dollar), and you'll be in business.

avantones will show your mixes no quarter, and permit you to dial in the most crucial spectral range of your mix, which will translate to finished tracks that sound good wherever you play them.

at least, that's been my experience.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Or, you could get a cheapo pair of stereo speakers at Radio Shack (probably eBay now as well).

I use 3 kinds of speakers when mixing - Blue Sky 2.1, my trusty stereo speakers, and a pair of really old Pioneer "outdoor" speakers w/ a 4" woofer. They sound awful, but demonstrate inteligibility, or lack thereof.

Then I test mixes on everything I can (i.e. several cars, boomboxes, laptop, TV, iPod, clock radio, and of course an old fashioned stereo system) to see how they will translate...
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Cool... I will look into the avantones.

What about Tascam VL-X5's? I've heard several comments around here about how they're pretty good ~200 dollar monitors.

WATYF
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
avantones.

soon to be available in a powered form; for now, join the pepsi generation and pick up a pair for somewhere approaching $200 new, pull out your big brother's old marantz or pioneer (or whatever) stereo receiver/integrated amplifier (or buy one off ebay or from a thrift store for pennies on the dollar), and you'll be in business.

avantones will show your mixes no quarter, and permit you to dial in the most crucial spectral range of your mix, which will translate to finished tracks that sound good wherever you play them.

at least, that's been my experience.
agreed...forget the rest and just get the avantones.

the are a mock up of the old auratones that are still sitting on the bridge of many huge analog desks in major rooms. THey can take a good beating and get you a good idea of the real world mix. they look pretty too
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

yeah, I just finished reading up on the avantones, and it looks like I'll be going with those...

I just have to decide if I want to get a passive pair now (coupled with an RA150) or wait till Sept for the active pair.

WATYF
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search