The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seeking experienced PT engineer to mix some of my work
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Seeking experienced PT engineer to mix some of my work

I'm at the mixing stage of my first full production (other than my own stuff). I tracked basics at a larger studio and everything else at my place. The band doesn't have a huge budget for mixing but I figured I'd see if anyone on here might be intersted and, if so, what you'd charge. There are six songs total.

Below is link to a first mix that my buddy and I did back at his place, where we tracked the basics. He's done another mix since this on his own but overall I'm not feeling like he's doing enough on these mixes (pretty bland, not very dynamic,etc) and I still lack the abiity to do better in a reasonable amount of time.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mp3-u...on-please.html

I did a lot of work with this young band in pre-production and I've done all that I am capable of in terms of editing/tuning, etc. I'd just like someone who can do quality work who I might also establish a relationship with for future projects. Also, I'd requre that you be working in PTHD so that I can simply send you the sessions.

thanks

dk
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

PM'd

Al
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've gotten several PMs, thanks guys. I will answer them in the order that I recieved them but it may take me a couple days. Based on your responses I'm hopeful that I can find one or more guys to work with in the future.

Thanks a lot, talk soon

dk
Old 20th August 2007

You will probably get 30,000 responses to this...heh
Old 20th August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
You will probably get 30,000 responses to this...heh
Yah...

But how many of 'em are from people that you'd want to mix your record?!

Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
Yah...

But how many of 'em are from people that you'd want to mix your record?!

Ha! Good point... probably none of them... heh
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Ha! Good point... probably none of them... heh
Right, except you two of course :-)

This site cracks me up. Every other thread finds everyone telling you that no one here knows what they're talking about...and that you should trust them about that! The logic kills me.
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKmusic View Post

This site cracks me up. Every other thread finds everyone telling you that no one here knows what they're talking about...and that you should trust them about that! The logic kills me.

hah! so true...... trust me, no one else who tells you that is true is as right as me....
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah....Jay you don't know what your talking about!heh LOL!

Kid, you better do some research. Jay has made 1 or 2 records in his time.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Yeah....Jay you don't know what your talking about!heh LOL!

Kid, you better do some research. Jay has made 1 or 2 records in his time.
You're making my point my friend. I know he has, and I believe there are great people here. I'm not the one who said that no one who contacts me could mix a good record.

Leave it GS to turn this thread contentious. Holy crap. Incidentally, I'm new to recording but I'm no kid. Of course that's a subjective matter so Gearslutz are sure to struggle with it!:-)

...I'm still trying to wrap my head around why everyone's favorite snack isn't circus peanuts. What's wrong with you people??
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're making my point my friend. I know he has, and I believe there are great people here. I'm not the one who said that no one who contacts me could mix a good record.

Leave it GS to turn this thread contentious. Holy crap. Incidentally, I'm new to recording but I'm no kid. Of course that's a subjective matter so Gearslutz are sure to struggle with it!:-)

...I'm still trying to wrap my head around why everyone's favorite snack isn't circus peanuts. What's wrong with you people??
OK...Well why don't you tell us what kind of budget you have, so that you can narrow down the field a little bit.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

As far as budget goes, my friend was giving the band a deal at between 1 and 2 bills per song with one revision. I don't have autotune so he wound up having to do some tuning on the vox and some editing here and there, etc. So, on the more labor intensive songs he was going to charge the higher rate. They're okay with that but thus far neither them, nor myself, have been that impressed with the first mixes.

As I've said, I put a lot of pre-pro work into this band, and they've worked hard to get to this point. The tracks are what they are, I'd like just whoever mixes it to be just as invested as I've been so they don't take AWAY from my/our work.

dk
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Also, there've been some guys with impressive resumes and/or sample mixes who've inquired. If someone seems perfect for the job, these guys may be able to find some more dough. It's just about getting it right.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, there've been some guys with impressive resumes and/or sample mixes who've inquired. If someone seems perfect for the job, these guys may be able to find some more dough. It's just about getting it right.
Cool as long as you realize that you usually get what you pay for. If you have a budget of $100 - $200 per song, that would pretty much exclude most of the serious professional mixers. There are some really good non "big name" guys who would probably do a great job for around the $9,000 - $10,000 range.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Cool as long as you realize that you usually get what you pay for. If you have a budget of $100 - $200 per song, that would pretty much exclude most of the serious professional mixers. There are some really good non "big name" guys who would probably do a great job for around the $9,000 - $10,000 range.
Well, I realize that this isn't big budget. I was just hoping to find one of those really good guys who would take something on the side at a rate we could swing...supply and demand, right? I guess I'll find out.

Thanks!
Old 20th August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:

Right!!!

My comment was more about the 30,000 reponses...

Last year I had a guy from this site contact me about some mix work when I was in WAAAAAY deep on another record for a sizeable indie...

He apparently had a 'mix-off' on some various forums & was underwhelmed by 97% of what was turned in...a few dozen mixes. After an initial consultation they were all rarin' to get me the multi-tracks... When I told him I'd need a deposit to even get it on the calander they balked, and eventually walked because "so many others did free mixes".

Do you need someone to mix the music so it sounds freakin' great?!

Or do you end up with someone to learning how to mix with your songs?!?

That's the beauty of this place I think...

There's thousands of cats on here.

Some of 'em are frighteningly good audio engineers... really, just REALLY scary good. I've contacted a few of 'em when I was too close or too deep in a production to mix it myself and turning the reigns over was the best thing for the art...

On the flip side, there are plenty of people who have trouble figuring out which of an XLR goes into the microphone...

Peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search