The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Forest reverb ??? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

Forest reverb ???

You know all these reverbs that emulate churches and concert halls, are there anyone that can emulate the echo/reverb that would be appropriate in the forest.

I´m doing a radio show where they are suppose to talk outside in a forest for a little part, and I really don't know what reverb to use.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Is there a lot of reverb in a forest? Seems that it would be pretty well diffused .
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you want to sound like a forest you need crickets chirping and stuff.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

It should be possible to get an impulse response made from firing a starter pistol in a real forest. It's probably already been done. I agree about the background noise, but there is awesome reverb and delays in a real forest.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
If you want to sound like a forest you need crickets chirping and stuff.
Agreed
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Strangely enough there is a FOREST preset on the TC m-3000. Dunno if a forest would sound like this but there it is.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

There's 3 forest models available for altiverb as well. Wouldn't call it 'reverb', but it sounds damn interesting.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

If a tree fell in a forest .... I can imagine some distant echos, but thats probably specifically more about the larger surroundings.

I think a mix of ambiant forest noise, a multi-delay set to taste and almost any long diffuse reverb tail would probably fake it very well. Roll off both the low and high end, because a forest would have incredible bass trapping and distance naturally dulls the high end.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
There's 3 forest models available for altiverb as well. Wouldn't call it 'reverb', but it sounds damn interesting.
Don't know what the Altiverb sounds like, but I recently spent some time in an actual forest, and it certainly sounds different than my basement, or a parking lot, or Carnegie hall. It could be a useful ambience.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Guru

It is a mistake to assume that outdoor spaces have 'no ambience'. When people hear it they go 'oh yeah'.

I made my own forest verb by reamping some stuff in the woods

well to be specific it was a clearing in the forest, so there was a slap off the tree line and some great 'abfusion' from the leaves and branches and trunks.

and yes I got crickets!

at first I intended to record separate verb passes for individual instruments, to have available at mixdown, but the "Cricket Build-Up" was too much. A single cricket becomes 10 crickets.

Instead, I estimated the proportions of reverb each instrument should have and sent them all out of the speaker in one pass. Made a few variations to cover myself.

If I had Altiverb I would have made an IR. I wonder if firing a starter pistol would shut those crickets up.
Attached Thumbnails
Forest reverb ???-clearing.jpg  
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

^^ That's awesome.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Revolver also has forest I/R's.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

Here you can download a forest IR, and also some other interesting IRs.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fokkie/IR.htm

cheers,
Peter
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks everybody, you really gave me some useful tips.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
at first I intended to record separate verb passes for individual instruments, to have available at mixdown, but the "Cricket Build-Up" was too much. A single cricket becomes 10 crickets.
I think we should add "cricket build up" to the common nomenclature. All in favor?heh
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

space designer in logic has a few nice forest settings! i like them.
i also like playing music in the forest; haven't done it in a while, though.
Old 20th August 2007

Logic Space Designer has forest IR presets as well...
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Logic Space Designer has forest IR presets as well...
bam! beat you by 6 minutes. heh
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you want crickets and such, ATMOSPHERE is a great program for ambient noises, it's fun to play with, and only $40.

Atmosphere Ambient Soundscape Generator - Create custom wellness / ambient natural sound MP3 and CD audio tracks for relaxation or royalty free distribution
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle tromb View Post
bam! beat you by 6 minutes. heh
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

I always thought a forest with snow sounds awesome, if anyone have experienced that.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I always thought a forest with snow sounds awesome, if anyone have experienced that.

yea. pretty neat. I think that sound (and forests in general) is cooler though for diffusion that echo... the way distant sounds filter through is pretty awesome. My totally decadent dream studio has a forest re-amp room in it, for sure.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

I few years ago i tried to put together a project with a rock band playing live in the forest with lots of ambient mics. It never panned out.... logistics....

I love the sound of far off noises in the forest -- the forest is unlike any other acoustic environment. The delay is magical.

I've long wished that Fokke van Saane would make his forest impulses available as wav files. Actually, if anyone could help me out in that regard I would be eternally grateful!

Mike
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwagner View Post
Here you can download a forest IR, and also some other interesting IRs.

Impulse responses

cheers,
Peter
Tried a bunch of programs, and couldn't get .sit files uncompressed on my pc.
Any other IRs for forrest?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search