The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec, Adam or Dynaudio Studio Monitors
Old 19th August 2007
  #1
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 

Genelec, Adam or Dynaudio

Hi I´m replacing my old NS10 and I need another kind of monitors, time for active monitors, I need that they are nearfield in the way as I don´t need an HiFi sound on the monitor, the most neutral as posible. Due I work for other studios I also need that they are in a standard in other places.
Well the monitors that I think are the next: Genelec 1030, Adam A7 or Dynaudio B5a, any advice will be very apreciate, thanks a lot
Old 19th August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
gainstages's Avatar
they are all good speakers. your personal preference should be a big part of the decision. Also, consider the size of your room... Don't buy larger,high powered speakers if you are listening in a tiny room. Also, there are a lot of other good speakers out there. I suggest you find a good pro audio place that allows you to audition them in a quiet room, and listen to some tracks you are familiar with. if possible, find somewhere with a good return policy and put them in your room, listen to them for a few days and then take them back if they aren't cutting it.

there is no one magic speaker. I've mixed or mastered on all 3 of these, and others. The first time or two you have to get used to them and how they interact with the room once you know that, you can work effectively on just about any decent quality speaker that has a good transient response, good imaging, and good frequency response.
Old 19th August 2007
  #3
Pat
Gear Addict
 
Pat's Avatar
 

BMA5!!!!
Old 19th August 2007
  #4
Emi
Gear Addict
 
Emi's Avatar
 

Genelec 8000 series
Old 20th August 2007
  #5
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 

I worked in some studios with the genelec 1030 and they sounds so nice. But I think that it is so hard to find a dealer with the three monitors and a good room to hear them :(
Emi eres de madrid???? yo tambien
Old 20th August 2007
  #6
Gear Nut
 

...I don´t need an HiFi sound on the monitor...


ADAM A7
Old 20th August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
gainreduction's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainstages View Post
your personal preference should be a big part of the decision.
Exactly, monitors are a very personal thing and the only good advice is to listen for yourself.

That said, I'm VERY happy with my dsp controlled Genelec 8240.
Old 20th August 2007
  #8
Gear Addict
 

I would have to say the Adam's.

I have used the Genelec's in a friend's studio... they're a nice monitor

I tried out the Dynaudio's only in the shop, alongside the Adam's.

I particularly liked the stereo imaging of the adams, and found them to show up the problems I already knew about in my mixes very well.. Which was great for me :-)

I find the Adam's to be particularly non fatiguing compared to other monitors in this range.
Old 20th August 2007
  #9
Gear Head
 
ramzijr's Avatar
 

ive used dynaudio and genelic . get the gene's . dynaudio are a little to bassy
Old 20th August 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
I never liked Genelec. Dynaudios are my cup of tea. 2 thoughts, 2 opinions...

There is no easy answer alas.

Try as many out, buy the ones you liked most and get used to them.
I can trust my BM6a because I have them since approx 10 years not because they are the best monitors or anything... I also recently got some Tannoy AMS8 which sound TOTALLY different, but if I get it sounding good on both pairs, it usually translates well.
You need quality (Dynaudio, Quested, Focal, blah....) but it really has a lot to do with you getting comfortable with them.

Good luck!
Old 20th August 2007
  #11
Emi
Gear Addict
 
Emi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords View Post
I worked in some studios with the genelec 1030 and they sounds so nice. But I think that it is so hard to find a dealer with the three monitors and a good room to hear them :(
Emi eres de madrid???? yo tambien
soy de madrid. Por fin alguien de por aqui en este forum. Encantado de conocerte. Te invito a un par de cervezas heh
Old 20th August 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
entropy's Avatar
My vote is for the Adams or



get all 3, try them in your room for a week or two and make up your own mind.
Old 20th August 2007
  #13
Gear Nut
 
D.A.S.'s Avatar
 

Another +1 on the Adams.
Old 20th August 2007
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
WATYF's Avatar
 

I got the BM5A's and I'm getting rid of them because they sound too "nice". A little hyped in the high-end. My mix always sounds great on them, but then I take it to another setup and it sounds like poop. Obviously, that's not a good thing for mixing. They'd be great for listening speakers, though. They sound amazing.

I'm gonna try a set of Blue Sky's next to see if I can get something more neutral.

WATYF
Old 20th August 2007
  #15
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 



there are as many opinions as persons, I will need to try them, but there is no easy in our country to borrow some monitors and then return them. Shops doesn´t usually allows that.

Emi cuando quieras unas birras avisame, hay otro del foro que es de madrid, podriamos quedar con el
Old 21st August 2007
  #16
Emi
Gear Addict
 
Emi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords View Post

Emi cuando quieras unas birras avisame, hay otro del foro que es de madrid, podriamos quedar con el
Eso esta hecho!
Old 21st August 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Stick's Avatar
 

Put the Focal Solo 6s or Twin 6s on your list to check out. I've got a new pair of Twins, and one came with a funky tweeter or something and they still smoke my old 1031s.
Old 21st August 2007
  #18
Gear Head
 

Dynaudio!!

But i would go for BM6A
Old 21st August 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Eganmedia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATYF View Post
I got the BM5A's and I'm getting rid of them because they sound too "nice". A little hyped in the high-end. My mix always sounds great on them, but then I take it to another setup and it sounds like poop. Obviously, that's not a good thing for mixing. They'd be great for listening speakers, though. They sound amazing.

I'm gonna try a set of Blue Sky's next to see if I can get something more neutral.

WATYF
You can make any mix sound good in the control room. If you're using relatively good speakers ( and I'd say the Dynaudio5as fall into that category) and the mix doesn't translate elsewhere, look at your room treatment before condemning the speakers. Granted, not every speaker fits every listener, but I've seen a boatload of people dismiss perfectly good speakers because the listening environment sucked.

That's got to be the most difficult part of marketing monitors, especially inexpensive ones. The expensive studios can afford expensive monitors. When they sound good in these environments they get good reviews. When a new kid on the block brings a less expensive speaker to market, regardless of the speaker's performance, it's going to be judged in crummy listening rooms. Blue LEDs only count for so much...
Old 21st August 2007
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
WATYF's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
You can make any mix sound good in the control room. If you're using relatively good speakers ( and I'd say the Dynaudio5as fall into that category) and the mix doesn't translate elsewhere, look at your room treatment before condemning the speakers. Granted, not every speaker fits every listener, but I've seen a boatload of people dismiss perfectly good speakers because the listening environment sucked.

That's got to be the most difficult part of marketing monitors, especially inexpensive ones. The expensive studios can afford expensive monitors. When they sound good in these environments they get good reviews. When a new kid on the block brings a less expensive speaker to market, regardless of the speaker's performance, it's going to be judged in crummy listening rooms. Blue LEDs only count for so much...
I've got dampening on every wall and bass-traps/broadband-absorbers in the corners. I hear what you're saying, but I know that this wasn't just a "room" thing because there are several pro mixes that I was very used to listening to on my old monitors, and they sounded much brighter (even too bright) when I played them on the BM5As.

I'm not really condemning the speakers... they sound great. And they're great for detail. But I just need something that doesn't improve my product at all. Something that tells it (a little more) like it is.


WATYF
Old 21st August 2007
  #21
11413
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATYF View Post
I've got dampening on every wall and bass-traps/broadband-absorbers in the corners. I hear what you're saying, but I know that this wasn't just a "room" thing because there are several pro mixes that I was very used to listening to on my old monitors, and they sounded much brighter (even too bright) when I played them on the BM5As.

I'm not really condemning the speakers... they sound great. And they're great for detail. But I just need something that doesn't improve my product at all. Something that tells it (a little more) like it is.
if you want a speaker that'll improve your product the best ones, hands down, bang for the buck, dollar for dollar, are auratone/horrortone/avantone... and you'll never worry about them being too bright because they roll off at about 10k.

funny you say dynaudios are too bright.. i always considered them a "dark" speaker.. but then again i used the passive M1, 1.5, 2's with a 2000 watt power amp. i'm not crazy about active speakers since the genelec 1031 fiasco...

there are a TON of things which go into the way speakers sound... maybe they'd sound fine with some decent stands.. maybe it's the room character... maybe it's cables.. maybe it's combos of all of them...

its impossible to say really without knowing a LOT more info.

it could be as simple as blu-tacking them to the stands.. maybe a sheet of rigid fibreglass underneath each one is enough.. if they were passive you could change the sound by switching from stranded wire to solid core.. i've owned speaker stands which actually made speakers sound WORSE (ultimate support).. much worse, in fact.. maybe sand isnt enough mass and you'd be better off with lead shot... maybe you want still more mass and built towers out of concrete or bricks... maybe moving them 6" fixes it... maybe 1'...

this is a process.. i wouldnt throw the baby out with the bath water until i was absolutely positive it was the problem.
Old 21st August 2007
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
WATYF's Avatar
 

Well... a couple of things. It very well might be some odd thing going on in my room, but I have taken every reasonable precaution (moved my room around so that the speakers face long-ways, dampened walls for high reflections, bass traps, those aurelex foam speaker-booty things). After a certain amount of effort, I'd prefer to just find something else that suits the room or my tastes better.

Regardless of the room, they're a really good sounding speaker, and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that that's not what I really want anymore. I was doing some listening with a client the other day and we were talking about mix adjustments and she was saying how everything sounds "amazing" at the studio, but when she gets it in her car, it's not the same. I really just want to get away from that.

Anyway... I got a pair of Blue Sky's in the hope that they're more neutral, but coincidentally (funny you should mention them), yesterday I purchased a (passive) set of those Avantones. Between those and the Blue Sky's, I hope that takes care of the problem.

For anyone who's looking at the Avantones, audiomidi.com has them in a bundle with the Alesis RA150 (or some Samson amp, if you prefer that) for $299. Plus they're having a 10% off sale right now, so the whole thing, shipped, is under 300 bucks.


WATYF
Old 21st August 2007
  #23
11413
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATYF View Post
Well... a couple of things. It very well might be some odd thing going on in my room, but I have taken every reasonable precaution (moved my room around so that the speakers face long-ways, dampened walls for high reflections, bass traps, those aurelex foam speaker-booty things). After a certain amount of effort, I'd prefer to just find something else that suits the room or my tastes better.
you're frustrated. understandably so. you want to change one variable and get on with work. also understandable.

HOWEVER, if you have legitimate environmental (room, stands, treatment, etc) problems changing the speaker will not fix them.. you may find one you can work with despite the environmental problems, but the problems will still be there.

its best to know precisely what the problem is before swapping out parts arbitrarily.

Quote:
Regardless of the room, they're a really good sounding speaker, and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that that's not what I really want anymore. I was doing some listening with a client the other day and we were talking about mix adjustments and she was saying how everything sounds "amazing" at the studio, but when she gets it in her car, it's not the same. I really just want to get away from that.
horrortones are great for curing that.. they're a sort of worst case scenario for detail... especially in mono. and a cheap solution.

Quote:
Anyway... I got a pair of Blue Sky's in the hope that they're more neutral, but coincidentally (funny you should mention them), yesterday I purchased a (passive) set of those Avantones. Between those and the Blue Sky's, I hope that takes care of the problem.
you threw some darts.. let's hope for a bullsye.. not the most scientific method tho, but it occasionally works.

Quote:
For anyone who's looking at the Avantones, audiomidi.com has them in a bundle with the Alesis RA150 (or some Samson amp, if you prefer that) for $299. Plus they're having a 10% off sale right now, so the whole thing, shipped, is under 300 bucks.
dunn how much trust i'd put in a samson or alesis amp.. crown d75 seems to work ok and not cost an arm and a leg.. it's pretty much an 'industry standard' horrortone amp, if there is such a thing.

good luck
Old 21st August 2007
  #24
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

I'm gonna say JBL 6328p . Not your grandfather's JBLs.
Very accurate, very musical, very good all around. Read the mix mag review of them. Not a bad price either.

Neal
Old 21st August 2007
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
WATYF's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
you're frustrated. understandably so. you want to change one variable and get on with work. also understandable.

HOWEVER, if you have legitimate environmental (room, stands, treatment, etc) problems changing the speaker will not fix them.. you may find one you can work with despite the environmental problems, but the problems will still be there.

its best to know precisely what the problem is before swapping out parts arbitrarily.
Like I said earlier... it most likely not the room. My previous monitors (M-Audio SB8's) didn't have this issue in the exact same room. I had some translation issues, but not like this. I did a few things in an attempt to calm the issue a little, but it's still there, so I'm moving on to something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
you threw some darts.. let's hope for a bullsye.. not the most scientific method tho, but it occasionally works.
I wouldn't call this throwing darts. Deductively, the speakers are more likely the issue than the room, so that's the most logical approach for me to take. Also, I've done a ton of research on the Blue Sky's, and I auditioned them back before I bought the BM5As. I know what they offer, and what the Avantones offer, and I think this'll be a good balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
dunn how much trust i'd put in a samson or alesis amp.. crown d75 seems to work ok and not cost an arm and a leg.. it's pretty much an 'industry standard' horrortone amp, if there is such a thing.
I would hesitate to buy the Samson as well, but there are a lot of people around here you have coupled their Avantones with an RA100 or RA150 or RA300 and they've all said they got good results. I, frankly, don't know a [email protected] thing about power amps (seeing how I've always used actives), so I figured it'd be safest to try something that had already been paired up with the Avantones by my fellow gearslutz.


WATYF
Old 21st August 2007
  #26
11413
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATYF View Post
Like I said earlier... it most likely not the room. My previous monitors (M-Audio SB8's) didn't have this issue in the exact same room. I had some translation issues, but not like this. I did a few things in an attempt to calm the issue a little, but it's still there, so I'm moving on to something else.
that's why i qualified it with *if* its an environmental problem. maybe the room is solid. no way to know on my end.

i do know that good stands do make a huge difference with solid low end and imaging... but its very important how the speakers interact (or dont) with the stands and how the stands interact (or dont) with the floor. spikes are a good way to go. heavy stands are generally better than light ones...
Quote:
I wouldn't call this throwing darts. Deductively, the speakers are more likely the issue than the room, so that's the most logical approach for me to take. Also, I've done a ton of research on the Blue Sky's, and I auditioned them back before I bought the BM5As. I know what they offer, and what the Avantones offer, and I think this'll be a good balance.
to me it's throwing darts because i have no real data to work with... for you it might not be. i can't really say anything definite from a few txt messages. it has to be generalizations because of the format.

i will say that getting speakers to sound right inside a confined space is a long complicated process... if it were easy we'd all have the same studio layouts and gear.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Moonvic / So much gear, so little time
19
Chapiro / So much gear, so little time
31
nandito / So much gear, so little time
2
Jaguar / So much gear, so little time
13

Forum Jump
Forum Jump