The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SubKick... Another homeade attempt Studio Monitors
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

SubKick... Another homeade attempt

I have a KRK RP-5 monitor that died on me last week. I could try to fix it, but it would be way more fun turning it into a ghetto subkick. Rather than rewiring the hot and cold wires inside, because the speaker has an XLR out I was thinking of just rewiring a mic cable (Swap pins 2 and 3). Anyway it sounds simple enough but I was just hoping someone could point out a flaw in the logic.
Thanks
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I would wire the XLR mic cable to a 1/4" unbalanced plug. Run that into a DI and then into your pre. The DI will handle the impedance issue - the speaker being high impedance and the pre expecting to see low impedence.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I could be wrong, but aren't those active monitors?
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
I could be wrong, but aren't those active monitors?
They are active, not to mention there is also a tweeter connected in some way to the xlr out as well. Anyway I suppose I should start nerding it up and just test a bunch of different things to get sound to come out. I'll send the audio to on an old mini mixer i have so if i were to blow anything it wouldn't be devastating. Wish me luck!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear
My bud had the coolest idea......he stuck an NS10 woofer into a snare drum stand.....perfect. Easy to position as well...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovachek View Post
I have a KRK RP-5 monitor that died on me last week. I could try to fix it, but it would be way more fun turning it into a ghetto subkick. Rather than rewiring the hot and cold wires inside, because the speaker has an XLR out I was thinking of just rewiring a mic cable (Swap pins 2 and 3). Anyway it sounds simple enough but I was just hoping someone could point out a flaw in the logic.
Thanks
yep you could do it. but just be lazy and buy one...that's what i did

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I made one from a $12 12" bass speaker held in a snare stand. It works... I have no idea how ****e it might be compared to the Yammie. Does the Yamaha sound like a fat man farting through a cushioned chair on its own outside of the mix?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search