The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SUMMING BOXES POLL Summing Mixers
View Poll Results: UNDER EXPERIENCE CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITE SUMMING BOX SYSTEM(ONLY REAL EXPERIENCE)
API SYSTEM
12 Votes - 25.53%
SPL MIXDREAM
9 Votes - 19.15%
NEVE 8816
7 Votes - 14.89%
SHADOWS HILLS EQUINOX
5 Votes - 10.64%
PHOENIX AUDIO
10 Votes - 21.28%
SSL X RACK
4 Votes - 8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
it's the reason why the first dedicated summing boxes were invented (Dangerous, RMS Folcrom, SPL). .
i thought the reason was that digi couldn't do math?

Old 25th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Hey Paul....

I considered Chandler and the Phoenix before purchasing the Tonelux. I went with the TX because it is just so much more versatile.

cool
Old 15th September 2007
Here for the gear

The inward connections 16x2 absolutely smokes every box mentioned on this thread with the possible exception of the shadow hills which i haven't heard. Mixes are deeper, wider, and more dynamic, with a beautiful representation of the frequency spectrum. I was really surprised by this summing box.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

A times I just set my Tonelux at unity and use it for summing. However, if feel creative and inspired I usually use it as a mixer. This poll seems pretty limited.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Anybody work with the TubeTech SSA 2A? I'm a fan of their other gear...
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknight View Post
The inward connections 16x2 absolutely smokes every box mentioned on this thread...
"Smokes" the API???

There's definitely some smoke blowin', somebody's indeed smokin' something.

Nothing can "smoke" an API. I can see another unit having a different character that might be prefered by some, but there will be no "smoking".

Old 15th September 2007
Quote:
The inward connections 16x2 absolutely smokes every box mentioned on this thread with the possible exception of the shadow hills which i haven't heard. Mixes are deeper, wider, and more dynamic, with a beautiful representation of the frequency spectrum. I was really surprised by this summing box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
"Smokes" the API???

Nothing can "smoke" an API. I can see another unit having a different character that might be prefered by some, but there will be no "smoking".

I think the API, Inward Connections, Shadow Hills are great choices...but the Phoenix Nicerizer seems to be also a very good contender..I may think all this boxes are the ones with more warmth, Mojo and thick sound.
Old 15th September 2007
theother
This poll does not make much sense to me!

I doubt that there is anyone who tried all of these boxes next to each other to give a valid opinion. Well, maybe there is one, but not enough to justify a poll...
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear
yup. this is more of a 'what box do you have?' poll.

seriously, who of all who answered the poll has heard all of them at the same time, and has listened blind?
Old 15th September 2007
Here for the gear

"Smokes" the API???

the api was my second choice, In fact i love api gear! Go to Professional Audio Recording Equipment | Vintage King Audio | 248.591.9276 and listen to the shootout. You'll hear why i chose the inward box. The architecture is similar to the api, but the inward 690 op amps sound significantly better than the standard api 2520 op amps. So in my opinion it spanks the api. The tonelux mixer held its own with the api. The others were rather lame sounding. I think i'd prefer to mix in the box. I've used the dangerous 2 buss, and its a joke.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
the api was my second choice, In fact i love api gear! Go to Professional Audio Recording Equipment | Vintage King Audio | 248.591.9276 and listen to the shootout. You'll hear why i chose the inward box....
Just curious, was this mp3 shoot-out the only time you HEARD the Inward Connections box verses the API box, etc?

I'm currently on an old computer with a very crappy audio system, but the Inward Connection mp3 does sound a bit more "impressive" than the API mp3... it sounds a bit louder actually... which makes me wonder if indeed it IS a bit louder (due to levels possibly not being set exactly the same between the different recordings), which will naturally cause it to sound more attractive.

I'll have to download these mp3s and play `em on a better system in order to really hear what's going on though. But being mp3s, only so much can be revealed anyway.

All interesting.
Old 17th September 2007
Here for the gear

Its pretty silly to use mp3 files to compare top notch audio gear, unfortunately thats all that we have for this comparison. I actually borrowed, or rented different summing mixers to test them out. there is no way i would drop $4k to $5k on any product without thoroughly testing it and its competition.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

So, is there a way to alter this poll to make it worthwhile? Otherwise, why bother?

Let's consider an equivalent poll:

Which of THESE is the BEST flavor of ice cream EVER!?

1. Maple Nut
B. Applesauce
iii. '62 Corvette
4. Popsicles

Remember, whichever of these gets the most votes is what I'm going to buy.

-----

See what I did? I asked for the best ice cream flavor, and I'm trying to make you choose from only 4 flavors, 3 of which aren't even ice cream. I deliberately excluded the three most popular flavors of ice cream (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry) and I didn't leave room for anybody who prefers Butter Brickle or Green Tea ice cream, or sorbet, or even a combination of flavors like Spumoni or Neopolitan. So it's exactly the same as this summing poll.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its pretty silly to use mp3 files to compare top notch audio gear...
I totally agree... mp3s are a joke, especially for this sort of thing.

I realize that guys use mp3s to make file management practical... ok, fine.

Here's a better idea:

Instead of giving us an entire minute or more of each sample in mp3 form, how about shorter samples of higher quality audio? Even just 15 seconds of an elaborate section (which can be looped on our DAWS) would be fine... as a WAV file, not mp3. Then it would be useful.

I'm thankful for any free comparison audio, but if it's gonna be done at all, may as well do it right.

thumbsup
Old 17th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
So, is there a way to alter this poll to make it worthwhile? Otherwise, why bother?

Let's consider an equivalent poll:

Which of THESE is the BEST flavor of ice cream EVER!?

1. Maple Nut
B. Applesauce
iii. '62 Corvette
4. Popsicles

Remember, whichever of these gets the most votes is what I'm going to buy.

-----

See what I did? I asked for the best ice cream flavor, and I'm trying to make you choose from only 4 flavors, 3 of which aren't even ice cream. I deliberately excluded the three most popular flavors of ice cream (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry) and I didn't leave room for anybody who prefers Butter Brickle or Green Tea ice cream, or sorbet, or even a combination of flavors like Spumoni or Neopolitan. So it's exactly the same as this summing poll.

I think #iii tastes kind of plastic. kind of like fiberglass. But YMMV! (sorry Fletcher!)
Old 24th February 2008
Here for the gear

One More Vote for Dangerous Audio

This gear is amazing. Check the link. I mixed this in the Dangerous 2 Bus, Mixer, Monitor and a Turbo Mouse. She was Grammy Nominated Best New Artist 2008. I mixed song 1 and 4. Sounds pretty good, right? Jon

Old 24th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon"The Don"Gass View Post
This gear is amazing. Check the link. I mixed this in the Dangerous 2 Bus, Mixer, Monitor and a Turbo Mouse. She was Grammy Nominated Best New Artist 2008. I mixed song 1 and 4. Sounds pretty good, right? Jon

Sure does - nice smooth mix - track 1 especially.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sounds great. Nice job. I love her voice. What did they/you use to get that great airy sound.

-R
Old 26th February 2008
I noticed a few have used or mention the VK summing shootout as a baseline for choice. I think their intention was excellent, but I have to say, the music was so odd to me. They sound nothing like a record. Which made it totally unreliable IMO. I feel like they should have hired someone to provide them with really well tracked and mixed examples of a record. I personally found them to be a real struggle. Again, well intentioned, but didn't quite get there. It was like, hey, listen to how wide and fat that crap drum sound is after running through the API?

I personally tried a variety of systems. I chose one that really works for what I do.
Old 26th February 2008
Quote:

Sounds great!!
Any outboard gear besides the Dangerous buss?
Dangerous is top qualitY!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search