The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Instruments vs. gear!!
View Poll Results: What is more important for a great music experience?
Instruments
48 Votes - 92.31%
Gear
4 Votes - 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
Are you an artist, or a producer, or an engineer?
Good question, Kiwi..........these days for many of us the answer is yes.

My stuff comes together in the studio. I'm writing while I'm tracking, I'm producing while while I'm writing, tracking and mixing.

For many muso's the making of the music is a multi-disciplinary avocation.

Of course the question remains as to the marketability of such endeavors, but therein lies another thread.

On a desert isle I'll take my Stella guitar.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodDamn View Post
A crappy mic pointed at a great instrument will probably sound good, atleast.

A top end mic pointed at a ****ty instrument will just sound more accuratly ****.

Man, this is so true !!!

A friend of mine considers himself a singer, but his voice is about the worst I have ever heard -- he sings out of key constantly, is overly dramatic in a way that sounds obviously fake, and just generally lacks any kind of magic or flow.

He had made many 4 track recordings before coming to my studio, and ironically the super ****ty stuff he did on his own did well to mask just how bad he really was. I think he expected the super slutty gear chain to make him sound like a million bucks or something.

Even though he was singing thru a CMV 563(with M7 capsule), Fearn VT2/ La2a/ to 2" tape in a great sounding room it only served to make him sound worse because it revealed undeniably how poor his singing ability really was. I'll never forget that look on his face when he heard himself for the first time -- he quit recording himself entirely after that day.

In many cases the greatest of gear will actually make sub par instruments sound even worse because the imperfections are that much more magnified for the ear to hear!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I cant believe that most of the responses to "instruments" has been a guitar or bass....geez. A little imagination, like all the great records only used a guitar.

I invested in a Rhodes 88 and a wurlitzer 200A and these 2 "instruments" play a huge part in not only adding emotion to my tracks but also single handedly glueing stuff together, as in like, helping my mixes sound better.

What about a grand piano? mellotron? Glockenspiel? Tambourine? Shaker?

I couldn't work without these instruments.

To put it short, every new piece of slutty gear i bought added up didnt give me as much inspiration as the wurlitzer alone.

Chymer

PS. I love slutty gear too though

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search