The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
D&R Orion - Anyone using the VCA automation? DAW Software
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

D&R Orion - Anyone using the VCA automation?

In my quest for a mixing console, I've become a bit interested in the Orion.

I did a few searches here, but couldn't find much info regarding the VCA automation "PowerVCA".

Anyone Orion users out there really putting the system to use?

Is it stable?

How transparent are the VCAs?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Cinemix with Power VCA automation and moving faders. I don't use it. I prefer the automation in Pro Tools. Back in the 2" days I used it though. It worked pretty well, and though there are those who will bash VCAs automatically, I never had a problem with the sound. The faders on the Cinemix don't pass audio- only control voltage to the VCAs. Unless there's a new version of powerVCA, it runs under dos and requires a MIDIQuest card for the computer. It displays all automated faders all the time, so focussing on a group can be tough depending on the size of the monitor. The touch sensitive moving faders on my board work great. I never had a problem with their sensitivity or with static (very UNlike my old mackie HUI). It's a very transparent sounding console and the quietest board I've ever used. I can leave 32 faders at unity gain and not hear a whisper of hiss at moderate listening levels. I usually send 16 or 24 outputs from Pro Tools to the console and insert analog processing from there. It's an awfully big summing box, but the center section is awesome and it's already wired in and paid for.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search