The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha NS10 Tweeter Problem
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Yamaha NS10 Tweeter Problem

I just purchased a used set of NS10m speakers to use as secondary reference monitors and one of them seems to have an issue. The tweeter in one of the speakers is very quiet, resulting in a very muddy sounding speaker. Is this typical of a blown tweeter or a tweeter that is on its way out? Or, could it be an issue with the crossover? There is some sound coming out of the tweeter - its just much quieter than it should be.

Anyone experienced this before or have any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

Compare it to the other for high frequency differences. Yamaha still makes spare parts to order. I think you can get a new tweeter for around $80, so you may just want to order a set.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lutkins View Post
Compare it to the other for high frequency differences. Yamaha still makes spare parts to order. I think you can get a new tweeter for around $80, so you may just want to order a set.
Thanks for the response. i did compare it to the other speaker, and the tweeter is much quieter.

Where have you seen the tweeters for $80? Everywhere I see has them for $100.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

You can order them straight from Yamaha. We just ordered a bunch. I'll try to remember to get you the "Yamaha Logistics" number on Monday...
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lutkins View Post
You can order them straight from Yamaha. We just ordered a bunch. I'll try to remember to get you the "Yamaha Logistics" number on Monday...
That would be great - thank you!
Old 17th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrick19 View Post
I just purchased a used set of NS10m speakers to use as secondary reference monitors and one of them seems to have an issue. The tweeter in one of the speakers is very quiet, resulting in a very muddy sounding speaker. Is this typical of a blown tweeter or a tweeter that is on its way out? Or, could it be an issue with the crossover? There is some sound coming out of the tweeter - its just much quieter than it should be.

Anyone experienced this before or have any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

Ok, this might sound strange but pull the tweeter out of the box and see if there any sticky goo coming out of it, or if it smells kinda funny,burnt if you will, cuz it might be "grilled"... no pun.

ps- if not on there you should add fuse kits to BOTH monitors to avoid that in the future...
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

After about five years, the OP probably has his problem sorted out, but thanks for the information.

Dennis
Old 19th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
After about five years, the OP probably has his problem sorted out, but thanks for the information.

Dennis
Oh man, sorry about, I didn't catch the date. I just joined, what a noob I am.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search