The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
San Diego Music/Recording Scene DAW Software
Old 19th August 2007
Deleted User
San Diego Music/Recording Scene

Hello all! I am moving to San Diego, CA next week. I will be engineering at Studio West and teaching Pro Tools at The Recording Arts Center. I was curious if there is any kind of pro audio community currently happening in San Diego. Do any of the studios, engineers, musicians, etc. get together on any regular basis and chat about what is going on musically in the city? Are there seminars with guest speakers or special events? I am just curious if any such community exists. If not, what is stopping us from starting one?

Thoughts or comments can be forwarded to me or reply here. Check the websites below for more information or my contact info. I am really hoping there is something already there. If not, let's try to work on something.
Cheers!
Caleb

CalebKeiter.com
StudioWest - San Diego's Premier Recording Studio
Pro Tools Training, Audio Classes, Pro Tools Certification - School for Audio Engineering & Production, San Diego CA
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I can't help ya man, but that studio is beautiful! It should be great to work there.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Guru

Give a call to Randy Fuelle at Hit Single Recording Services- they are the long time king of Indy studios-

Hit Single Recording Services Home

They are in El Cajon, and Randy also teaches audio at San Diego State.

Charles Maynes
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think that you should make a point of building bridges with whoever is working at other major studios in San Diego, Signature Sound at a minimum. (Beyond that, my apologies, I'm not sure.) In other words, in your time off, go hang out there and take some folks out for a drink.

BTW, I'm a native of San Diego, and despite the fact that it has morphed wildly over the last 20 years, I still think it's an amazing place to live. Don't forget to spend time at the beach and going to clubs in PB or North Park, or wherever works for you. It's a great town, with a great vibe.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Signature Sound Studios would be studio west's competition. they have a nice API console there. .
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Lot's of project rooms here too. and nice ones.

Big Fish ( north county) and Sounden ( san clemente) imo the best rooms in the area by far.

also probaby 6-8 midsize, but very viby rooms that you can get it done in as well. ( capricorn, downtown and Strate sound in east county, also Doubletime in east county)

Off the top of my head, over 30 project rooms with great gear- doing various in house stuff, generally not for hire. Guys doing production work, some scoring etc.

Lot's of Vid game audio with sony being here... god knows how many rooms Chris pelonis has built up there... 20+ maybe? ( edit suites i think)

I think establishing a 'community' is a tough road, as most folks are tracking in the big rooms where needed, and finishing up at home. And as far as get togethers... I think most guys are just working! I have tried to get out and catch more live music.

Last year, Mike Kreuitzky from Pro Sound ( the only decent pro audio shop here, off mission gorge road) started a monthly "ish" event that was a kinda get together, generally sponsered by a manufacturer like digi to show of new junk. Not sure if that's still happening, it did tend to bring in a fair number of weekend warrior types, and showed some potential.

The place im bringing my work to ( sounden) may start doing something similar, more towards getting working guys fly time on the Icon in studio B... not sure if that's gonna pan out. But i'll post here if so. Feel free to hit me PM if you need help with the lay of the land.

I suppose a little get together could be cool, but the biz is pretty fragmented throughout the county, and most guys/gals that are "in it" don't have a lot of time to hang... in my experience.

If I were you, I'd think of Orange County as well... it's got a little scene happening for sure.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search