The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ibanez ad202. help! Dynamic Microphones
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

ibanez ad202. help!

i just bought an ibanez ad202 analog delay and i'm trying to figure out the best way to hook it all up. when using it with a mic, do i go mic>pre>delay>recorder? if so, what kind of cables should i be using, balanced or unbalanced? should it go xlr-1/4(balanced or no?)and then out 1/4(balanced or no?) to my digi 002 at -10 or +4? should i be recording both the dry and effected outputs? when i put the output of my API into the ad202 and plug headphones into either output, there is only signal in the left ear...i'm confused.

help would be amazing!

jake
Old 19th August 2007
One with big hooves

I'm 90% sure those are unbalanced @ -10dB...

Connect it to an aux send like any other piece of outboard for 'best' results...
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

bump! how about for using it in a signal chain. i don't have a console to put it in an aux send.
Old 22nd August 2007
One with big hooves

I'd guess that you might need a 'bump box' to get from +4 to -10...

I'm into all kinds of whacky old noisemakers, but I wouldn't do that kinda thing... track through it with a hi-fi mic.

Well, I have done that kinda thing... SM58 into a couple of stompboxes printed to tape... it's ALL over the Lifeguards record I did. Usually there was some kind of megaphone involved too...
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

so what kinds of cables should i be using when putting the ad202 into a signal chain? also, when i plug a mic into a preamp and then into the mic input 202, it distorts no matter what and sounds terrible. should i not run it through a pre ap and just go straight into the 202 or what?

thanks a lot,

jake
Old 22nd August 2007
Tape Op

Here's the dirt: I've tracked with it live to tape/PT before (Sleater-Kinney's "One Beat" LP). The best way is to take the mic signal post preamp, mult it or run through a console and use an aux or bus, and then blend the two signals back together. This way you retain the clarity of the original signal, and add the echo on top of that. Make sure the signal is all "wet", use the correct output and set the mix accordingly. I think the unit is sort of between -10 and +4 dB, and it will take a lot of signal in. A little quieter coming out, but no biggie on most consoles. If you're routing back into a computer run in through a DI or such.

I just took mine apart to wire up I/O on the rear panel! A word of caution, it is unbalanced but if you tap into the wires inside to do my mod realize there's a switch in one of the jacks on the front (input I think) which will think there's no cable inserted and the effect will remain off, like a stompbox. I jammed a piece of plastic in there and it's doin' fine. The mod is cool, now there's no ugly cables hanging out the front of the rack!
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for insight, Larry!
One more question: why is it that when i take the output of my mic pre and run it to the mic input on the ad202, it distorts no matter the level of the input on the ad202?

jake

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search