The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are the pros saying? Dynamic Microphones
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would not give it too much thought. You can always add songs to it. Don't think of it as your debut, think of it as a continuing creative process. The "Compact Disc" is going to be the format of the past; for the most part (esp. indie) music is listened to on a song-by-song bases computer/myspace/ipod.

I say jump in!

Blue Thumb Productions-Audio Production Facilities
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
Peace?...of course. I don't even disagree with you.

My point is thus. I've been in this a long time, and NEVER in the history of the industry have A and R departments been so pathetically staffed. There only a handful of folks left who who have any clue as to what is "good". What currently rules is what "sells". Not that it always didn't, but now more than ever the gap between "good" and "sells" is wider than ever.

And yes, attorneys are hardly qualified to tell you what is good. But of course they can agree with you that if you sold 10k there is enough eveudence you can expand on that that they are willing to suggest to their label folks that they look at you.

Which by the way is certainly not an endorsement of what I think is right or good. it is just the current state of affairs. Personally I think that at this point in time tring to make a deal with a major for a rock act is a total waste of time. If you do R and B, hip hor, reggaeton, etc, you are probably still ok dealing with the weasels.

So the question is...how do you know when its ready? Its ready when you think it is. Be brutally honest with yourself, listen to what other people you respect...and follow up on their suggestions. Test market in your local area. Tour as much as you can. learn the promo game.

to some extent everyone is their own label today.

peace?, is just my normal sign off. Anyways, I agree with your last statement. As for A & R? I've also been at it a long time, in and out of deals with bands etc. My favourite A & R joke?

Did you hear about the A & R guy who got killed crossing the railway tracks?
Yeah! He couldn't hear the train coming!

As for lawyers, well, there's more jokes than lawyers!

peace?......
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Nah, music is a very personal thing to me, and I dont trust a lot of people.
Ya know, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one
That's completely ridiculous.
If you aren't ready to get your music torn to pieces by complete strangers that don't seem to have a clue about anything musical, then you're in the wrong business.

I'm still not clear as to why you decided to post this question on this particular forum. It's a gear forum full of a-holes with opinions. Exactly what you don't want.

Sorry to sound harsh but....if Gearslutz is the best place you can think of to ask these type of questions than you're clearly not really ready to launch this "perfect" career that you speak of...

Good luck.

-Z-
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh I get feedback, I'm just very picky re who's opinion I care about. Again, there are probably a ton of really successful guys on here. But, the total opposite is probably also the case. So, if I'd post something, I'd have no way of knowing whether the feedback if coming from a total newbie, who just likes to bash other people's material, or from a pro, who's been around the block.
True. This also applies to any business advice you receive here. Why do you think the industry advice will be of any higher quality than that of the music critiques?

-Z-
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie View Post
sounds to me like you are way overthinking this "ep."
just do the best you can and then make another one.
that "one shot" idea is really far from the truth in my observation. it is all a process. just keep going forward. and don't count on "making it." make your own luck.
my two cents. good luck.
BINGO! mookie

I love EP's.
Short, sweet and to the point.
Like a one night stand or a taste of gold.
Strengthen your spine and be done with it.
The question should not be, is your music ready, but are you?
If you are your music then I think I answered your question.
Even though you have some control over your music, you have to understand that performing, recording and writing music is the act of giving.
Your shyness or lack of confidants, is getting in the way of your expression.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going kinda insane writing my EP. I'm paranoid that I need to keep writing, until I'm 1000000% sure that I got the right material.
You'll never be able to predict the future, so you'll never be 100% sure. You can increase your odds though, by just writing, playing, writing, playing...and maybe luck will come your way.

I'm always reminded of what the old guy told me about his label meeting in NYC late 60's. After listening to the demo,

The exec says: "It's not what we're looking for"
Old guy: "Well, what ARE you looking for?"
Exec: "I dunno, when I hear it, I'll know it."
Old 19th August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
If you aren't ready to get your music torn to pieces by complete strangers that don't seem to have a clue about anything musical, then you're in the wrong business.
Indeed.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear
This might be a good time for the blind pabbit and blind snake joke,,,,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
peace?, is just my normal sign off. Anyways, I agree with your last statement. As for A & R? I've also been at it a long time, in and out of deals with bands etc. My favourite A & R joke?

Did you hear about the A & R guy who got killed crossing the railway tracks?
Yeah! He couldn't hear the train coming!

As for lawyers, well, there's more jokes than lawyers!

peace?......
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
in this industry you usually just get one shot
...only if you blow your credibility. If you've got the whole package together, you might actually get sick of hearing the words "sounds great...got anything else?"...or the ever-present "love it...but where's the hit?"

If you don't have anything disqualifying you from being "sellable" in someone's perception, they'll typically be receptive as long as you don't abuse the connection.

(Of course, most people have blown their entire budget by the time they hear the words "got anything else?" ...Oops....I've known artists who would keep one song off of the demos they take to meetings just for this very purpose.)

--

This is why I advise artists to decide early on if they're shopping a recording or selling it -- because these are two very different avenues. If you're shopping it, you have to be confident that you're not giving anyone a reason NOT to like you -- while you're still on the spot to be both distinctive AND appealing (or at least appealing to your intended audience). It's quite a tightrope walk, and it's very different from making an EP "for the fans," and using sales and audience reaction from THAT to prove that you could have viability as a commercial artist.

...But then be prepared to hear the words "turntable hit." A & R's HATE that word. It means that your music is ALREADY a hit (on the internet, for instance), and, by the time they market it, it'll be yesterday's news. Can you say, "Catch-22?" Oh, yeah: and don't expect a development budget so you can record another one.

Of course, feel free to disregard any of this. I never asked what your motives or goals were.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
I totally agree with that one. If any "true"artist needed the opinions of others there wouldn't be a song, a painting, a book, a symphony a ballet etc. etc. etc.......As for your initial question. A dear and wise friend of mine who has written major hits, the "real deal", once told me "it's ready when you stop cringing"! At that point let it go........and as far as perfection, short of Nature" itself as a system,nothing man-made is perfect---- Mankind never has nor ever will create perfection, it is only an illusive concept that motivates or cripples------take your choice......peace?..... and good luck........
Lots of great advice here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
Picking the right producer is going to be WAY more important to the final outcome of your art then finding a studio.

That really can't be understated.

The higher up the food chain 'ya go (read: major labels) the MORE they're gonna change things.
Great advice here, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOjO FET View Post
What exactly is your goal?

In any case it's good to have some feedback to develop as a writer and creator and get light to where things are or could go for you.

Michael
Best advice of all. Find someone whose ears, experience, honesty, and logic you really trust....................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post

I'm still not clear as to why you decided to post this question on this particular forum. It's a gear forum full of a-holes with opinions. Exactly what you don't want.

Sorry to sound harsh but....if Gearslutz is the best place you can think of to ask these type of questions than you're clearly not really ready to launch this "perfect" career that you speak of...

Good luck.

-Z-
............and, it's quite obvious that it's not us! heh

You got some great advice. Good luck. In the end, it's only music. Enjoy!

Laser
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search