The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any good midi guitar preamp makers out there?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Any good midi guitar preamp makers out there?

i have a Engl 580 now..one of the best ive heard on the planet. im also going to get a mesa triaxis"had one before".if anyone knows where i can get a triaxis new in box let me know. any other midi preamp builders out there???? please give me some links or names....thanks
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Triaxis and love it.I've had mine since 92. I had the recto mod done for ld 1 red , which is what gets the most use these days.They still have it in their product line,why don't you call them and ask?

thumbsup

Last edited by allphourus; 19th August 2007 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: corections
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
I have a Triaxis and love it.I've had mine since 92. I had the recto mod done for ld 1 red , which is what gets the most use these days.They still have it in their product line,why don't you call them and ask?

thumbsup
I’m gonna call them Monday...i was more curious if there were anymore boutique
Preamp makers out there. or high end preamps? the Triaxis is round and brown
and I really like that tone. If you have a chance try out the engl 580.best guitar pre I’ve ever heard....from jazz to super wet metal

Old 19th August 2007
mwd
Gear Maniac

Fractal Audio Axe FX

Here's a pre-amp causing people to sell their Engl's, Mesa's, Marshalls, Rocktrons, Effects boxes, Pedals, etc.

Waiting list is 3 months.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd View Post
Fractal Audio Axe FX

Here's a pre-amp causing people to sell their Engl's, Mesa's, Marshalls, Rocktrons, Effects boxes, Pedals, etc.

Yeah I’m gonna sell my Amps and buy that piece of ****...have a clue pal....
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldn't even bother with the Triaxis. I'm a total amp ***** too. I'd just pick up the ENGL E570 SE preamp. Not quite midi, but enough midi capabilities to get around 8 good tones.

I have the Mark III, Mark IV, Recto. The Triaxis was a "sort of", blown away by the real ones. I have a Savage as well, and man if you like ENGL you really aren't gonna be blown away by much. And I doubt the triaxis will do anything for you. If you're after the Mark series tones, just buy the head and a looping selector dealy from Radial, Ground Control, or someone to integrate it into your existing midi rig.

The triaxis was like a chinese condensor, really cool unless you've heard the real deal sitting right next to it. Besides, there's simply not a Mesa in existence that will compete with the ENGL's frequency range.
Old 19th August 2007
mwd
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
Yeah I’m gonna sell my Amps and buy that piece of ****...have a clue pal....
Dude you grab a clue. You are the one that ask. I don't own your pre-amps. If you bothered going to the Fractal forum or just reading some reviews you would meet other guitarist that did, however, own the same gear you have and sold it.

You can ask them why... I could care less.

Hey... wasn't my gear, wasn't my story and I don't work for them.
You ask for a high end pre-amp source and I gave you one... but if your ego can't handle it then that would be your problem.

And how you can deem it a POS without playing it, seeing it or hearing it... is beyond me.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fractal Audio Axe FX

That's not a preamp, that's a computer!

I'll stick to 12AX7s...
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidgetNinja View Post
I wouldn't even bother with the Triaxis. I'm a total amp ***** too. I'd just pick up the ENGL E570 SE preamp. Not quite midi, but enough midi capabilities to get around 8 good tones.

The triaxis was like a chinese condensor, really cool unless you've heard the real deal sitting right next to it. Besides, there's simply not a Mesa in existence that will compete with the ENGL's frequency range.

Do you think the e570 will sound that much different than the 580 preamp? I’ve
had a triaxis before and i ran it with the mesa 2/90 it sounded great but never had enough gain when i was looking for it. The triaxis and 2/90 combo have a real nice round /brown sound too it and i just want it available in my studio. I know what you mean though about the engl frequency range. It’s just sick..anyway i was thinking about the e570
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude you grab a clue. You are the one that ask. I don't own your pre-amps. If you bothered going to the Fractal forum or just reading some reviews you would meet other guitarist that did, however, own the same gear you have and sold it.

You can ask them why... I could care less.

Hey... wasn't my gear, wasn't my story and I don't work for them.
You ask for a high end pre-amp source and I gave you one... but if your ego can't handle it then that would be your problem.

And how you can deem it a POS without playing it, seeing it or hearing it... is beyond me.
I’m looking for serious responses. Not "buy this toy" and I should sell all my
Boutique amps… yes I do have an ego when it comes to amps. Tone is important to me and I take it serious. You will learn someday. I would never bother playing with it I have enough experience to know. ..It’s a g-force rip off with amp sims and
It will never compete with a real tone machine...please go play a bogner or engl
and be born again
Old 19th August 2007
mwd
Gear Maniac

Really don't need your arrogant born-again advice... probably been playing longer than you've been alive.

Only you see tone as important? Only you take it seriously? Only Engl or Bogner can deliver serious tone?

Wow.. I have learned something.

But I am having a hard time finding the part where I said "buy this toy" or "sell your pre's"?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fractal Audio Axe FX

Well here's your first response...everyone's selling their high end amps for this craptical audio thing. So this leads me to believe 2 things. ==

1- Your a salesman or bias to the company for some reason to recommend such a thing..

2- Just very ignorant and stupid to think this would replace those ampsfuuck

End of story
Old 19th August 2007
mwd
Gear Maniac

Oh no....pullllleeeeeese not one of those "this is the way it is... end of story... kiss my butt post".

Re-read the post e-nut before you go rectal on me. "causing people to sell" is not the same as "everyone is selling".

I can tell I pee'd in your Wheaties suggesting that other people had sold their precious Engl's after purchasing the Fractal.

Why are you holding that against me?

Get the facts straight:
I didn't recommend you sell squat.
I didn't recommend you buy squat.
I didn't recommend anything at all.
I didn't insult the amp you use as I've only heard good things about Engl.

Your requirements were exactly Midi, High-End, Boutique.... hmmmmmm..... did I not supply you with that?

I'm thinking a pre-amp that has 100% positive feedback on every review written and from every owner that has owned one, has a 3 to 6 month waiting list a mile long, is hand made by one person one at a time is pretty much "boutique".

Dude you do what you want and you think what you want... I could care less about your equipment choices.

But when you start calling people names and implying that you are more intelligent than they because you use Engl... honestly I feel sorry for your idiot close minded a$$.

Rock on.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh no....pullllleeeeeese not one of those "this is the way it is... end of story... kiss my butt post".

Re-read the post e-nut before you go rectal on me. "causing people to sell" is not the same as "everyone is selling".

I can tell I pee'd in your Wheaties suggesting that other people had sold their precious Engl's after purchasing the Fractal.

Why are you holding that against me?

Get the facts straight:
I didn't recommend you sell squat.
I didn't recommend you buy squat.
I didn't recommend anything at all.
I didn't insult the amp you use as I've only heard good things about Engl.

Your requirements were exactly Midi, High-End, Boutique.... hmmmmmm..... did I not supply you with that?

I'm thinking a pre-amp that has 100% positive feedback on every review written and from every owner that has owned one, has a 3 to 6 month waiting list a mile long, is hand made by one person one at a time is pretty much "boutique".

Dude you do what you want and you think what you want... I could care less about your equipment choices.

But when you start calling people names and implying that you are more intelligent than they because you use Engl... honestly I feel sorry for your idiot close minded a$$.

Rock on.
OK .....bla bla bla.....please go away..im sure its gods gift to guitar players...go plug into it.....i could care less to think im more intelligent than anyone for using an Amp...
Old 20th August 2007
I have an ENGL 570, I think it's awesome, especially the crunch and cleans, the Hi gain channels are great but you need some kind of noise reduction like a decimator because at high gain settings it tends to squeal and feed back a lot ...
the marshall JMP-1 is supposed to be a great preamp but they recently discontinued it.
I'm curious to hear how the 570 compares to the 580
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search