The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the FINAL word on the 414 Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Good as far mic for rock guitar ...57 up close, 414 several feet back.
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Good as far mic for rock guitar ...57 up close, 414 several feet back.

I concur! The 57 gets it's characteristic mid voicing and the 414 fills it out.
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Head

I love my 414, yes i've only got one (and I got it for $200 from some idiot...almost new) but I have clients who prefer it on vocals over a U87. These guys might call me crazy but it really cuts through a mix in my opinion.

Kiwi's are great too, 3x the size though, this makes them impossible for tight placement, I'd get 3 ULS's if I were you and have some fun.

If you do end up going with the kiwi, guitar center's cost is $1500 on new ones...so haggle away my friend!
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g View Post
what does the mod involve?
adds a few blades, like a new Gillette.
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g View Post
I concur! The 57 gets it's characteristic mid voicing and the 414 fills it out.
incidentally, do you recall the late 80's rap track "the godfather" by Spoonie G? wondering if you're related?
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Maniac

my vote ofr 414s

I'd highly recommend the 414s for overheads, distant micing guitar cabs and vocals especially if you're on a tighter budget. Couple them with good cabling, a nice pre-amp, and conversion (if digital) and you'll get quality sounds from multiple sources within your budget.
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

before i started reading recording forums, i never heard an engineer that dogged any 414. they were always highly respected by the guys i spoke to and worked with.
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relicrecordings View Post
I love my 414, yes i've only got one (and I got it for $200 from some idiot...almost new) but I have clients who prefer it on vocals over a U87. These guys might call me crazy but it really cuts through a mix in my opinion.
thats why u gotta have several mics...1 mic cant work in every voice...
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
incidentally, do you recall the late 80's rap track "the godfather" by Spoonie G? wondering if you're related?
I know of him and yes, we are related..... oh wait, spoonie who?
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relicrecordings View Post

Kiwi's are great too, 3x the size though, this makes them impossible for tight placement, I'd get 3 ULS's if I were you and have some fun.

If you do end up going with the kiwi, guitar center's cost is $1500 on new ones...so haggle away my friend!

I prefer the 414 to the U87 on my vocalist, believe it or not. I was quite surprised, but it was the case. Very interested in a kiwi though.
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Head

I have been wanting an AKG 414 for some time now... Not sure which actual variant I would chose, probably the newer XLS example.

I'm a bit suprised there are so many people not really into these mics, but this is the world we live in. If everyone had similar tastes, we wouldn't have so much variety.

I currently use an AKG C1000S to record vocals and I assume the 414 would, generally, be a better choice.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 24th October 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conz View Post
I currently use an AKG C1000S to record vocals and I assume the 414 would, generally, be a better choice.
Cheers,
Peter
Don't want to be rude Peter, but as you probably know, any large condenser microphone starting from 100 dollars would be a better choice than C1000S when you're recording vocals..

I use 414's in almost every session and I like it. It's a good basic mic and very versatile because of it's multiple polar patterns etc. If I could buy only 3 mics, 414 would definitely be one (or two) of them.

Sabbrodo
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbrodo View Post
Don't want to be rude Peter, but as you probably know, any large condenser microphone starting from 100 dollars would be a better choice than C1000S when you're recording vocals..

I use 414's in almost every session and I like it. It's a good basic mic and very versatile because of it's multiple polar patterns etc. If I could buy only 3 mics, 414 would definitely be one (or two) of them.

Sabbrodo
Hi Sabbrodo,

Microphone knowledge has always been my weak point, but I'm eager to learn :D

I do get a good sound out of my C1000S though, especially when post-producing with UAD plugins (Neve 33609 and Helios usually).

I am still certain I will get a 414, regardless.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
the 414 - just give it a beer and it's happy
whomever posted this picture, this fella's name wouldn't happen to be Nick would it?

It looks just like my buddy who happens to be big fan of 414's
Old 27th October 2007

if you're doing your job right, and the room's doing it's job right,

and the performer's doing their job right,

and the pre and converters aren't total trash,

most 414s will NOT get in the way of delivering you a solid recording.

they're perfectly fine mics serving many purposes plenty successfully - over the years.

otoh, if your song sucks............

there's nothing any 414 can do about that..........

(although, i've been told the new usb version has song correction)..

...good luck.....wherever you might be.....invisible poster...

Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Btw, back in they day -70's and 80's nobody cared one bit about 414 ...was no different than using a can opener ..scrapy utility thing that was small and handy, thats all ..just to let you know.
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

i have a 414 tl II and have used it on about everything from time to time. have always enjoyed the mic. drum overheads, acoustic guitars, vocals at times, electric guitars. i have used the b uls TONS on electric guitars. as stated, sounds good on everything and great on some.

i MUST say though, i bought a mojave ma-200 a few months back and it has taken over most of the 414 dutys and in most cases i like it better!! the only downfalls of this mic i have found is that it can be a bit sibilant on some singer and fixed cardiod compared to the 414, but as your mic collection grows this is no problem!heh
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

I never saw anyone sing through a 414, ever,
Old 27th October 2007
Quote:

ahhhhhhh, but have you ever HEARD anyone sing through one........?

THAT is the question, my friend...heh

or is this monkey SEE, monkey do.....

Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
at one point Del McCoury Band used a single 414 for everything except dog house bass: lead, harmony vocals, acoustic guitar, mandolin, fiddle, & probably opening cans of soup

(nor am I dis'ng those who diss a 414 . . . in a wide variety of ways personal taste (and its lack) is what keeps me in business)
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
1 word for all the mentioned things you want to record.

KIWI!
My gawds. Was just looking back at old posts. This post got rolling with tons of great info despite my rudeness didn’t it!

I didn’t know the kiwi was a mic back then!! I thought you were making fun of my poor little baby self. Sorry about that to all. Just a few years later. Big hug.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Necro thread but...

From the Gearslutz' opinion of the 414, maybe Geddy's a smooth-as-silk crooner in the room?

Last edited by rog951; 24th January 2019 at 10:44 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search