The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the FINAL word on the 414 Condenser Microphones
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
"harsh" isn't a word I'd use for 414's. a touch bland and flat,yes, but not "harsh." while i like the 4033, i'd say it sounds more harsh than any 414 i've tried.
that's funny; I bought a 4033 years back because I couldn't afford a 414. to me, the 4033 had some of the bright qualities (aka "harshness"?) of the 414, but for a fraction of the price.

the 414 is the mic that really flatters my voice. the u87, not so much. but then, perhaps i've got a bland and flat voice!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds View Post
The 414 does get a lot of crap on these boards. It is a classic mic and has be used on sooooo many things. I've found the TLII to be a pretty decent mic on pianos and some guitars. Sax players always tell me they love the way 414s make them sound (for whatever thats worth). I think there are better mics out there, but I think there is value in proven designs.

Mike
personally, i like the way the 414 resembles an electric shaver.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

the 414 - just give it a beer and it's happy
Attached Thumbnails
the FINAL word on the 414-414suit.jpg  
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

LOL!heh
Old 20th August 2007
Brilliant!

heh

I like 414's cause they look and feel like you could knock a nail into some wood with one if you had to...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

heh still laughing-

Does Fig-8 mean two beers at once?
Old 30th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
fuuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoppenheffer View Post
4 posts and that comes out... Not cool man! tutt We don't need that stuff around here.
Relax dudes, I think he thought you were calling him a New Zealander.

Attached Thumbnails
the FINAL word on the 414-060217_kiwi.jpg  
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

I have always like my 414s, if not they would have been on ebay. I found them useful on just about everything, they match up well with a nice warm preamp such as Neve Trident s20, they can be a little harsh at times with Api. But all in all the 414s are a thumbs up.

Queens Singer always use the 414 in his albums from what i have gathered.
Old 30th August 2007
I love my B-ULS 414's. Anytime I find a large diameter flat capsule I'm pretty happy. One thing I don't like is some mic maker putting an EQ curve into the capsule. It's as if they are saying to me; "I don't know what you're using this on, but this EQ will make it better". Better than what? The source?

Excuse me, but if I wanted to EQ this mic, I certainly wouldn't pick those frequencies at that amount of boost. Can you imagine running your signal into an EQ with fixed boost and fixed frequency? Personally, I would always want to either adjust the frequency or amplitude of that EQ, or better yet, just bypass it.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 30th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Man, I'm so glad I've finally got the final word on the 414. whew!

Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

A pair of 414s can do it all. Almost. I can't think of another pair of mics that sound very good on almost everything. Maybe not GREAT on anything, but very good on almost everything is worth it's weight in gold.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburguy View Post
The AKG 414B-ULS mics that I have sound at least good on everything and often great. They are a well made "swiss army knife" mic with multiple polar patterns, pads and hi pass settings. I have found them useful as drum overheads, vocals, electric and acoustic guitars, fiddles/violins.

I would describe them as a full bodied in the low midrange, with a relatively smooth top end.

Hope this helps.
I agree to this completely. Much better than the chinese crap with the brittle top end.
Old 30th August 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post
I agree to this completely. Much better than the chinese crap with the brittle top end.
Thats what I've thought.I like this comment: "50 mics" and I problably still wouldn't get one."

I can only imagine how many Chinese mics would be in that list, with the shelf life of a decent loaf of rye.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

I've got a 414 B-ULS, a Blue kiwi and a 4033. The 4033 collects dust. The Kiwi is a wonderful mic especially for vocals. The 414 is used on almost everything. I love my Kiwi and I love my 414 almost as much. Also if you want to save money just buy them used. I got the 414 for $500 and the Kiwi for 1K. With 3k to spend you could get 2 414s a kiwi and still have 1K left over.
Old 30th August 2007
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
my buddy has a hamptone JFET mic pre that just makes my 414's sound special for some reason
+1 on the Hamptone JFET 414 combination (mine is an XLII)
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Here is my take on this mic. I tried the 414 XLS through both a GTQ2 and A Designs MP2A into a Lavry Blue. I found the mic to be good on almost every source, vocals, acoustic guitar, hand claps, percussions, and a sitar. However, it wasn't great on any of them. It lacked a magic quality that I have heard from Soundelux, Lawsons, around that same price point. I wasn't blown away that I wanted to get the mic. However, if its your first mic for around a grand you will like it, it does well on all sources. But don't expect it to sound like magic. I found the really cheap CAD Trion 8000 has a magic quality on vox, I really would pick that mic on most singers rather than the 414 XLS.
Old 2nd September 2007
JLC
Here for the gear

Have you heard the new 414 LTD? I think is a wonderfull sounding mic.https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image...good/hippy.gif
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Nut

I own A pair of Jim williams audio upgraded modified 414 BULS and they are my favorite mic period I dont even have the current version of this mod but they still sound amazing.
So you can keep ur 414ebs , BXs and the TLIIs I'll take my modified 414s to the party every time
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Way to piss everyone off there, newbie.

Ignoring your lack of social skills for a second- I wouldn't bother with 414's.
They are quite harsh/hard sounding, imho and I have used them a lot.
AKG 451's or AT4033's are pretty similar and less than 1/2 the cost.
Or a couple of Shure KSM-44.

If you want better then get a pair of Josephson series 6's.

I a/b a 414b-uls last week with the Shure KSM-44. There was no comparison the 414 was much better.

Th funny part about the whole comparison is one of the guys in the band I was recording is a shure salesman/rep. He told me the KSM-44 was better than the uls and a cheaper price. He was very 'sure' the ksm was a better mic. So we did a blind test. All 5 people in the studio selected the 414 without question including him.

AT4033? another mediocre mic that people try to compare to the 414. Not even nearly as good as a uls anyway
I would never use an AT.
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Addict

I really like our XLS its brand new. Sounds awesome on pretty much everything. Its a great workhorse.
Old 23rd October 2007
Use it if you cant find a hammer..
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Use it if you cant find a hammer..
I thought that all high end engineers use 58's and 57's for that application. Jules, you are an innovator that doesn't follow the crowd! heh thumbsup
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

I like the 414XLII quite a bit on toms and piano. The XLS is a little smoother for vocals.
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Shaver, sound of the 70's.
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy View Post
The Jim Williams mod to the 414 ULS takes the harshness right out of it and makes it an amazing mic. Pretty much the mic that I, at least, was hoping for it to be. Neutral, but beautiful and deep. I own a pair and consider them to be really wonderful all-rounders.

That said, none of the new ones sound like the old 414's with the original capsules in them. That is its own vibe, with its own special capabilities. On the other hand, if you get one of the old capsules you don't know how long it will last and you have to make peace with the fact that these are now made out of unobtainium. If they go, they are gone for good.

There are probably easier ways to find a "go to" microphone. The search function is your friend in this regard.

what does the mod involve?
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

I wonder what the OP ended up with... prolly a pair of kiwis
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

I've noticed a couple of things about my XLII. First, It's a soft sounding microphone, and pairs nicely with hard sources. Second, the low end is pillowy. I, personally, don't care much for pillowy bottoms. However, it's a first-rate mic for female singers.

I'm curious to know if XLS owners have found the same to be true of their 414s?
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Way to piss everyone off there, newbie.

Ignoring your lack of social skills for a second- I wouldn't bother with 414's.
They are quite harsh/hard sounding, imho and I have used them a lot.
AKG 451's or AT4033's are pretty similar and less than 1/2 the cost.
Or a couple of Shure KSM-44.

If you want better then get a pair of Josephson series 6's.
mmmm...dont want to be rude or something,,,but with all due respect, i have the 3 models you named...414 - 451 - 4033...i love all of them...but they quite diferent...KSM 44? i tried it...nice mic but to me...they are harsher than any you mentioned before...of course im pretty sure that the kind of music im recoridng is very diferent (latin music, but im doin pop, rock and other stuff) in latin music the harhsness is pretty evident because of the instruments...timbal, guira, cowbell, etc...i think every mic have it own place...i have an u87 too and i love it for certain things...but have gotta be carefull,,,very agressive...love 414 on congas for example...but for bongoes i prefer the neumann...of course, my ears, my room...even the 58 and 57 are great for some kind of things...timbals for example...imho...you cant go wrong with the 414s...but is wise to hear it for yourself and do your own conclusion...

PS: i want a Josephson so bad!!!

Last edited by elcubo; 23rd October 2007 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: add
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

I really like my XLII! Most people say they hate the newer ones, but I think it sounds nice. I had a brand new B-ULS about 5 years ago. I could not get it to sound "bright", like I thunk it should, and I sold it to get a TLM-103.

I would love to have that back. The ones on ebay usually look pretty tattered. I know the mic doesn't take very good pics, so maybe I will plunge for a used one at some point.

BTW, I dont like the electronic switching on the new ones, at all. Hard to see at different angles/lights

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search