The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Masterlink ....Starting to HATE ! Mixers (Analog)
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

Masterlink ....Starting to HATE !

WHt is it about the masterlink that you lose transients, detail of your sound that you work so hard to get. Im using Analog in instead of Digital, is that the problem, sorry ass AD converters ?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah...the converters need to be bypassed.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Masterlink needs to be bypassed. heh
I've never been a fan of that box.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Masterlink needs to be bypassed. heh
I've never been a fan of that box.
LOL!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

That's one piece of gear I've never regretting selling.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

What kind of system are you using to transfer to the masterlink? If you are mixing in the box, maybe your A/D converters there are better and you could just go D into the box. I used to hate Masterlinks just because of their A/D, but once you get something decent to take care of that for you, the Masterlink can be a great tool. Well worth the money if you ask me.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine99nine View Post
What kind of system are you using to transfer to the masterlink? If you are mixing in the box, maybe your A/D converters there are better and you could just go D into the box. I used to hate Masterlinks just because of their A/D, but once you get something decent to take care of that for you, the Masterlink can be a great tool. Well worth the money if you ask me.
I come straight out of my console and i hear the transients, detail fine over the monitors ( we are not talking eq spectrum, my room is fine) is just that i expect more when i listen back, i may have to go back to my expensive Marantz Recorder.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

What is your console?
What is your multi-track?

If you are using a DAW you could record straight back into your DAW with really great convertors.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Masterlink was a sorely needed device at the time it came out, we really needed something to kill those horrible DAT machines, but it's kind of unnecessary now. It's much easier to print back into the DAW with great convertors and do any sequencing ITB.
Old 19th August 2007
Reg
Gear Maniac

masterlink

The Masterlink has been the workhorse in my place. It can do a lot of things for you if you learn it. It's weak spot is the A/D which I don't use. Park a good A/D converter in front of it and your good to go. I don't think you will find anything at this time with great A/D converters at the front end of it. The Masterlink for archiving your mix is great and has been working for me withought a flaw. Peparing a CD24 for the Mastering house and such. I think you could do a lot worst. All the best.thumbsup

Reg
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
The Masterlink has been the workhorse in my place. It can do a lot of things for you if you learn it. It's weak spot is the A/D which I don't use. Park a good A/D converter in front of it and your good to go. I don't think you will find anything at this time with great A/D converters at the front end of it. The Masterlink for archiving your mix is great and has been working for me withought a flaw. Peparing a CD24 for the Mastering house and such. I think you could do a lot worst. All the best.thumbsup

Reg
thanks, i can tell a difference going straight to digital rather A/D
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

As most have said , bypass the converters and it's a great and convenient machine ! Ideally you would bypass both sets ,A/D and D/A !

For those that mix ITB simply go into it via Spdif or AES/EBU and only concern yourself with getting a good set of D/A's for your monitoring ! This way you monitor through it and once you finish your mix just hit record and you will hear comming back exactly would you've been hearing all day
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I mix through nuendo then thrrogh a Neotek console out to a Smart c2 comp -Avalon 747 comp -Massive Passive EQ on the 2 buss to a Appogee AD16 AES into a masterlink and it sounds great....easy to work mixing at 96K.....masterlink AD and DSP are marginal.....but if you only use it to mix down and avoid the the AD it is a very handy unit.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 5th November 2007
Here for the gear

HTML Code:
The Masterlink was a sorely needed device at the time it came out, we really needed something to kill those horrible DAT machines, but it's kind of unnecessary now. It's much easier to print back into the DAW with great convertors and do any sequencing ITB.
I've never tried printing back into my DAW. Seems like a great solution for me at least. I really don't like bouncing to disc . I run an RME Fireface right now and what I'd like to do in the very near future is pick up a UA2192. I'd like to run my mix back into the 2192 A/D converters and back into the DAW. I'm just not sure what the best way is to go about doing so? Is it as simple as play back through D/A's and routing back into the A/D via XLR and recording within the DAW? I use Logic btw if that makes any difference as to how things are done. I was thinking about picking up a Masterlink or the new Tascam 900SL, which I believe can also do CD24, but printing back to the DAW seems like a much better solution. Thanks for the help!
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear
Maybe Jim Williams will ring in and tell why the Masterlink sound the way it does. Especially on playback. Jim?
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Maybe Jim Williams will ring in and tell why the Masterlink sound the way it does. Especially on playback. Jim?
thats a fabo idea...the masterlink as a tool, as said before here, is genius...the convertors and such are poor,and it is curious why theyve never been updated...

also dirty little secret(no more)...the hard drive is a standard ide format, you can drop a standard ide(ata) barebones drive into it, for more storage...i think the tech of the day allowed up to 300 gigs recognizable....
Old 26th November 2007
Gear Maniac

I mix down with analog mixer, from my HD24XR.
To Drawmer Masterflow and into Masterlink via AES/EBU.
In this way the Masterlink is a great box.
24/88,2 to burn the CDs at 16/44.1

The Masterlink has better converters than all these old DATs, but today there are better converters, and I like the Masterflow converters more.

The DSP in the Masterlink is better than the most plugins (masterlink DSP runs in higher resolution).
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

"Low End Theory"

Mr. Williams has spoken.

I just finished mixing an album OTB. After auditioning the convertors we had on hand (none of them steller), we chose to print the mix thru my (wheezing, ancient) Masterlink. I actually captured the mix in the DAW from the Masterlink's digital output. I actually find the Masterlink to sound quite decent.

I used to use the box at a very high end studio (Neve 8068, fairchild, telefunken, teletronix, etc). I had several high end clients comment favorably about the sound then (1999-2000).
Old 26th November 2007
Gear Addict

I had to co engineer a session once with 2 other engineers I did not trust so I used the masterlink in that studio as a 2 track back up (sent it my rough off the board) for the entire session. We were recording carnatic indian music, so the songs are long (like 25 minute songs) and there is no overdubbing. Boy did that come in handy when one of the other engineers DELETED THE SESSION FILE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SESSION. It was an easy way to distract the musicians from the hell us engineers were going through. It also let me burn a CD to give to the clients which I wouldn't have been able to make without the masterlink, considering our session on pro tools was a disaster.
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

In my experience, the AD in the masterlink is not terrible, it's the DA that is a weaker link. If you listen through the masterlink's DA, you may not actually be hearing what the mix sounds like. You might try using a higher end DA first to see if you really need to upgrade your AD section.
Old 27th November 2007
It still masks the signal, even if an outboard converter is used. Maybe it's the clock, the dsp, I don't know. Try the DVD player into a great dac to play Masterlink cut discs.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
It still masks the signal, even if an outboard converter is used. Maybe it's the clock, the dsp, I don't know. Try the DVD player into a great dac to play Masterlink cut discs.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Hey Jim. SOT...with your experience when modding the MasterLink, is there anything feasible that can be done to upgrade the on board clock?
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Are both the CD and HD affected? Or is it just the CD and the HD playback is fine?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search