The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio rooms to park in... Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Studio rooms to park in...

I'm trying to gauge interest in this idea: Imagine a complex (industrial warehouse or something) that was built out into a bunch of acoustically isolated suites, each with a control room and a booth. Let's say the control room would be approx 200 sq ft, and the booth approx 100 sq ft. The idea would be a place for producer/engineers to park their gear (since everyone has a home studio these days), but still get the sense of community that comes from being in a commercial space. Maybe there would be a large shared lounge just for the hang factor.

My question is, what would be the acceptable threshold of rent $$ that you would be willing to pay? Or would you be willing at all? Just curious...
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

great idea....maybe have a kitchen and a proper lounge maybe even a bar in it, something akin to like a veterans hall, sort of a community throw in for the price of supplies...

tie lines throughout that are all patchable to a control room(s).

i guess it the rent depends on how big of a total space you get,how many sub-divisions you can make,what your rent is.

the things i would be concerned about is reletively good clean power and proper air conditioning, which goes to power consumption, which fits into the rent.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I was at just a place in Burbank...it was cool..
Old 18th August 2007
I've often heard these called "multimedia suites" (which I think is getting shortened down to "media suites" over time.)

They often try to watch who they take in and I think most like to keep a busnesslike approach to things. Sometimes, the tennants have known each other or worked together; sometimes there are synergisms, like video editing rooms down the hall from post production audio, foley rooms, etc.

Obviously, in such a circumstance, there can be a certain wariness about anything that even smacks of a conventional recording studio and the traffic issues that go along with that.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Buspace Studios in London is similar to what you are proposing I believe. I got my Soundcraft Sapphyre from one of the studios there. Someone in London will probably be able to tell you a whole lot more.

Buspace Studios
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've actually got a complex in LA that just went before a financial group.
10,000 sf. ft., we priced the rooms at $1,500 per month and we have 8 of the 10 rooms sold.
Our rooms are a little bigger 375 sq. ft.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

That's exactly the info I was looking for! Tony, that's incredible that you can get that many tenants at $1,500/mo. In Nashville I don't think the market will bear that. I was hoping for the $700 - $1000/mo range. Very good to know, thanks!

Given the current state of the industry, it seems like this is the way of the future... I've been wondering why no one has built complexes like this, but I guess they are out there. Just none in Nashville that I know of. Tony I'd like to pick your brain in the future, if you're open to it...
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sure, you can pick my brain.
One of the things I sold the financial backers on is having these rooms throughout the country.
They fell in love with the concept and we are just waiting for the final numbers to come back.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search