The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FATSO QUESTION Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

FATSO QUESTION

Hi guys! I am interested in Fatso to add some color to my ITB mixes.

I know Fatso is a kind of tape simulator....but I know have a type of Compressor buit in...

My questions are :

Fatso always work with his comp to achieve the Fatso sound?

Do u think to use Fatso with a compressor like the API2500 would be too much or Do you think is no sense or a waste?

If its Ok, do you put the Bus comp after Fatso o Before?

So anybody using Fatso and a bus compressor together??

Thanks!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

i often use my fatso as my buss compressor. however, sometimes i am using it purely for a little warmth and the trany, and then using another compressor.

the sky's the limit, and yes, it is a good sounding unit.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Fatso sounds GREAT. The comp can be really excellent on a buss, and when I wanted more control/different sound I'd often paired the Fatso with another comp succesfully. I think it's maybe a little expensive, but there's no denying how good it sounds.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

When I've gotten to use the Fatso, it usually was relegated to overheads and cymbals duty. After Michael Brauer recommended it for that use, I tried it and haven't turned back since. Need to buy one of my own sooner or later . . . As far as 2-bus is concerned, I've only used it there a couple times, and it was always with a separate comp, such as the Focusrite Red or an SSL G384. Ended up putting it after the comp.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsanguis View Post
When I've gotten to use the Fatso, it usually was relegated to overheads and cymbals duty. .

damned if that isn't right on. That thing is *perfect* for overheads that are sounding maybe a little harsh/digital/****tydrumroomish. I want one back for just that purpose. In the meantime I'm slummin' it with the Massey Tapehead plug (which though excellent, is different) but someday, Fatso will again be mine.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

you do not have to use the compressor section on the fatso...i think it sucks anyway...you can just use the warmth factor which is great.. tranny too
Old 19th August 2007
The time I heard Fatso ...all can i say is that I really like it!! and yes you could bypass the compressor if you want...but from my experience is a great piece overall and the color is very nice and smooth thing out in a very no linear way....very , very cool piece of gear!! Definetly give you an awesome warmth factor!
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

I've used one a lot over the mix buss for a couple of years now. I sometimes use the compressor but I generally use it for the tranny switch (seems to slow the transients ever so slightly - like an incredibly subtle smear) and the warmth (a bit like a de-esser that you don't hear working - again for taking the edge off things). IMO it's all very subtle but one of those things that you miss when it's not there. I could work without it but it just gives that final glue to things.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search