The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any avantone mixcubes owners/users here? Feedback please.. Studio Monitors
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Any avantone mixcubes owners/users here? Feedback please..

I have an order on diffirent gear going out soon and thinking about adding these to it..

Just thought I would check what ppl around here think about them..

Are they "the new" ns10´s? Is what you hear on these a good indication on what consumers would hear on their systems? Your feedback on what you think about them and the way they sound...

Thanks!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

They are not the new ns10's they are the new Auratones... There are some threads about them here - search...
I have them, I like them. They do what they are supposed to do - show midrange problems, vocal - music ratio, too loud guitars and similar, how much of kick and bass remains in a limited freq. range playback systems, etc.
I start mixing on them and then move to full range monitoring and again check occasionally on them... If your first mix sounds balanced on them it translates surprisingly well on bigger systems...
Buy them. They are not expensive and they look cool.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

I bought a pair 2 weeks ago. I have used them to mix about 10 songs since getting them, along with my Adam A7's and Mackie HR824's. They have made my mixes come together so much faster than before. Buy them and use them with a full range set of monitors and your mixes will go faster and translate better. They do what they are designed to do, and do it very well.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixisoft View Post
I bought a pair 2 weeks ago. I have used them to mix about 10 songs since getting them, along with my Adam A7's and Mackie HR824's. They have made my mixes come together so much faster than before. Buy them and use them with a full range set of monitors and your mixes will go faster and translate better. They do what they are designed to do, and do it very well.
yeah.. this seems to be what most reviews also say..
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone tested the active ones? The dealer Im buying from has the "regular" passive ones and also offers an active version (which I didnt know existed). I cant find the active one on the avant website either.. So that got me a bit confused..

Keep the comments cumming folks.. ;-)
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you find the active ones ;et us know here! This is the first I've heard about that.
L
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

i was told the active ones will be out in September.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
If you find the active ones ;et us know here! This is the first I've heard about that.
L

first for me too. I was looking at the passive ones, then I saw he had listed the active ones in his price list. Maybe he jumped the gun and simply listed them.

Just emailed him to see if they are available or not. Would be nice to get those - price was about 200$ more than the passive ones.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by APOHStudios View Post
Please be patient, the Actives are worth the wait. We are still estimating a release date of around September.

I just finished listening to the final beta sample, and they are sweet. They still give you the same focus on the mids as the passives and have almost the same footprint.

Thanks for all of the great words. Glad you enjoy the gear!
mm... I guess I´ll have to wait then... ;-)

Last edited by perx; 18th August 2007 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: SMILIE
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'd like to hear from people who are very successfull with using their Avantones, how do you work with them? I bought a pair just to try out and I think they're really cool, but they have not been able to give me a perspective on my mixes that has helped improve them. Everytime I've made a decision on the MixCubes it translates poorly. I usually mix on Genelec 8040 and am used to judging sounds by hearing the entire spectrum.

I did a whole mix on the avantones once just for fun, and although the midrange came out very balanced in itself, I had to boost like 4-5db at 1-2K on the whole mix to have it sound somewhere near OK on a fullrange system. All the high-end and low-end that sound awful on an average car system sounds pretty good on the mixcubes so I find you always have to second guess what you're doing. So pretty much IME a mix done on MixCubes will only sound good on MixCubes.

Another thing is that if you have another set of monitors in your studio and you switch between whatever you're using and the MixCubes, you start confusing yourself alot. Since your ears adjust themselves very quickly, 30 seconds of listening to MixCubes totally change your perspective for the day when switching back to your regulars. So for me I think it would be wise to mix on one set of speakers for one day and the other set another day... never mix them on the same day.

I think they're really cool and very easy on the ears. You can endure long periods of listening without feeling exhausted. So please... someone tell me how you work on them to achieve great results.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I found mine needed a **** load of running in before I started getting results I could trust.

Other than that, I can only agree with what people are saying - good for getting a handle on the mids and highs. I'm using Adam S3as alongside them, and usually find the mix that translates best is the one that hits the mids somewhere between the two.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

For balancing the critical mid range they're awesome. You need to really get to know what they're good at before you can tweak the hi's and lo's on them with any real accuracy, they just don't have that extension. You're more than likely able to get a better result from them if you work them sort of in reverse; if you can hear bass in them you've got too much and if they're sounding bright then pull back on the treble. Easy. I find them excellent for the same work the Auratones were the default goto, kick/snare relationships, vox/instr balance and gtr's in general.

BTW, for some crazy ass reason I've ended up with 5x Auratone 5C's in my cupboard and am considering using them as an ALT 5.1 setup to my 8240A's. Anyone with thoughts on a Sub option? I'm thinking the woofer out of an NS10m or similar. The crappier the better.

T
Old 8th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plec View Post
I'd like to hear from people who are very successfull with using their Avantones, how do you work with them? I bought a pair just to try out and I think they're really cool, but they have not been able to give me a perspective on my mixes that has helped improve them. Everytime I've made a decision on the MixCubes it translates poorly. I usually mix on Genelec 8040 and am used to judging sounds by hearing the entire spectrum.

I did a whole mix on the avantones once just for fun, and although the midrange came out very balanced in itself, I had to boost like 4-5db at 1-2K on the whole mix to have it sound somewhere near OK on a fullrange system. All the high-end and low-end that sound awful on an average car system sounds pretty good on the mixcubes so I find you always have to second guess what you're doing. So pretty much IME a mix done on MixCubes will only sound good on MixCubes.

Another thing is that if you have another set of monitors in your studio and you switch between whatever you're using and the MixCubes, you start confusing yourself alot. Since your ears adjust themselves very quickly, 30 seconds of listening to MixCubes totally change your perspective for the day when switching back to your regulars. So for me I think it would be wise to mix on one set of speakers for one day and the other set another day... never mix them on the same day.

I think they're really cool and very easy on the ears. You can endure long periods of listening without feeling exhausted. So please... someone tell me how you work on them to achieve great results.
Yes, ears adjust quickly and it can be confusing - I try to really balance things on mixcubes and when you turn on full range it should only embrace the small picture with additional frequency range - then you know it's alright... But when you switch monitors and the picture collapses - then it is not good... listen to much music on them and get to know them - don't try to force them to sound like full range system with your mixes... focus on the tonality they produce - I can hear very fastly the right EQ changes - in fact I EQ less because off them - sometimes you can leave something raw and it sounds better... But maybe they are just not for you - this is possible... not everyone needs the same tools... I imagine that I am listening to the radio and adjusting the sound to fit my taste... actually after reading some threads I will add a boombox to my monitor set-up - I will start mixes on Mixcubes, check the full picture on mains and occasionally check on boombox for real world translation - I won't change details because of boombox - but just the major flaws of translation if they occur... I wonder why I don't have a boombox already here - why always going out of studio and being surprised...?
Old 8th October 2007
Gear Maniac

As for the people knocking 'em... They're not supposed to be "great sounding" speakers are they?
I mean that's why you should have two or three monitors on hand when you're mixing. Although you can't mix to accommodate every listener's audio setup, I like to know how things are going to sound on a crappy boombox, or the 5cent transducers that are attached to almost everyone's iPod.
I've been looking at the mixcubes to act as a stand-in for the little speaker in the Studer A-80 2track (which I wished that I owned). I've fallen in love with that thing for checking vocal levels & guitars in the mid range. I know furman also makes a 1 rack space set of powered stereo speakers, probably marketed towards video & duplication houses... I'm curious to hear those too.
Screw it: Mixcubes look nice though, are cheap and small...I'll order 'em this week. Any amps recommended? I'm guessing they would pair perfectly with that Alesis RA100amp that everyone's got in their basement... in the corner next to the rusted out Digitech Guitar FX unit.
Old 8th October 2007
Lives for gear

Apart from having Mixcubes, lo-fi reference is still a must... I have a boombox attached as a third set of monitors - THAT is real world reference - mainly I check if the bass doesn't hurt them little speakers too much, that x-bass supa dupa loudness extension can work with my material, if highs are "crisp" enough on a 20$ boombox... No Mixcube or anything else can tell you that - Avantones still sound great to my ears compared to the real crap... They are good for first step mix balancing...

I wouldn't mix on a boombox - just check if I am in a "boombox acceptable sound-range"... Ofcourse you can say f...k lo-fi - but funny - things that really shine on boomboxes, also sound great on high-end systems and vice versa doesn't apply... Are you transparent and dynamic on a boom-box? Then you are surely killing awesome on full-fange...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search