The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What to buy!? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

What to buy!?

Hi guys.

I've been drooling over gear for long enough, have saved up about £5,000 (just under $10,000)

I already own an Intel Imac, Digi 003, some Adam A7's, Various synths/plugins etc..
I have a nice room and clients ready to record/mix/produce.

I'm looking to keep things clean and detailed, but with character.

I produce mainly acoustic, but sometimes indie/folky stuff.

I'll often be recording acoustic instruments and voice.. rarely drums etc.

I wanna get away from mixing entirely ITB..

I'm thinking of a Trident series 8T-16 + Meterbridge (£1600) for tracking and some mixing.. heard the preamps are good.. are they good enough?

Then I'm thinking of spending about £1800 on mics... Maybe a pair of AT4047's (£850 pair) and maybe a nice Tube LDC for Vox..
Over time a pair of SDC's like Oktava's or similar (around £300) will be added too..

Then maybe a pair of Vintech X73i's - (£1500) which I could use as Preamps and boutique eq's..

and maybe a couple of FMR rnc 1773's - (£270 pair) or something..

I doubt I will record more than 8 channels at once..

But I may need to get hold of an extra 8 channels od DAC to run through ADAT for mixing - but this will come in time..

Do I need to upgrade all my converters?

What you guys think? Good choices? What would you add/remove?

There's just so much choice out there!!

Cheers :-)
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would add a Benchmark DAC-1 and an API A2D - make use of the s/pdif on the 003. That would give you 2 premium channels of i/o, and the 003 can do the extra channels when you need it. A multichannel ADAT preamp might only be a sideways step.

A nice stereo compressor would be my next purchase. On my radar is Neve Portico, Buzz, API - something good.

But there is so much choice out there, it's hard. I'm still happy with mixing ITB. I wouldn't go OTB unless I had a lot of premium D/A and A/D and a lot of outboard. I'm not there yet - and as far as religious preferences go, I like ITB while doing everything I possibly can to sound like OTB...

Upgrading the mic cupboard is always fun ...

Choices ...
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Yea.. i was thinking about a nice 2ch preamp with digital conversion to make use of the spdif..
I do like the idea of mixing on an analogue board tho.. i like real e.q.. plus I want the option to record more than 2ch if I need to.

Also, on the preamp topic.. would the api be the best bet for the type of music I'm recording? I need flexibility with a variety of sources, but want colour and depth also :-)
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

maybe something like the RME ADI 8 would be a good converter? I'm thinking to future proof myself as I add more and more analogue outboard.

Thinking about it.. I can mix ITB with a really clean (well converted) signal path.. using choice analogue gear with good conversion... so maybe the analogue board isn't needed..

Hmmm.. the options are endless!! It's really annoying!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd possibly go for one great LDC like a Brauner or Gefell for about €1000 each at thomann (or even one of each or a pair of one)

Brauner Phantom C Limited Edition in silber
Microtech Gefell M 930 BR

Then a nice pair of SDC for stereo work like the
Beyerdynamic MC930 set for €666 also from thomann.

Beyerdynamic MC-930 Stereo Set

approx £1100 for 3 very nice mics or £1800 for all 4

Might be worth checking the M-Audio Sputnik for the valve thing.

I agree that the API A2D would be a great thing for the 003
Good luck!
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Cheers!

So the API is a good all rounder for acoustic music then? What are its characteristics?

I think the best bet would be to run things through goood converters with a few boutique preamps and good mics.. then probably mix ITB..

Problem is that there are a lot of preamps out there at a good price without the digital option.. so 8 ch of A/D would probably be advantageous..

I've just been lost with so many options for months now.. constantly cycling through windows of gear in safari!

Thanks for the input tho guys.. keep it coming!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

For mixing, I certainly prefer having a console. I think you would have a great setup if you added a seriously nice small desk. You can still mix ITB when need be, and I am certain something like the trident or equivalent (Midas or Toft also get mentioned a fair bit) will have very decent EQ and Pre's and will be great for recording with.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

In which case.. would better converters be essential? Would the RME make the cut?
I am do to start on my first project in a month or 2 which will be a commercially released album, so it needs to be as good as poss for the money.
Unfortunately the producer's fee is a bit shiz, but I've saved up enough to get some nice stuff in.. I just wanna be able to mix the most of it at my place,a dn track stuff like acoustic gtr and vox at my place too.

The world of gear is confusing at the best of times!
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
For mixing, I certainly prefer having a console. I think you would have a great setup if you added a seriously nice small desk. You can still mix ITB when need be, and I am certain something like the trident or equivalent (Midas or Toft also get mentioned a fair bit) will have very decent EQ and Pre's and will be great for recording with.
This quote saved me from typing, well said.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I'd possibly go for one great LDC like a Brauner or Gefell for about €1000 each at thomann (or even one of each or a pair of one)

Brauner Phantom C Limited Edition in silber
The Brauner Phantom C is an amazingly good mic that doesn't seem to get much play. My secret weapon on strummed acoustic guitar.

Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

yea?? with what preamp?

You don't use 2 mics on an acoustic?
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

so big adc / dac and analogue board? or mix itb and get loads of pre's on a few digital channels?

what y'all think?

cheeeernnnnnssss
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

So would the RME ADI-8 do the job for decent conversion i/o?

Thanks
Old 5th December 2007
Gear Head

Binary,
Did you every get this sorted out? I would like to know what you ended up with, as I do all acoustic and have similar questions.
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
yea?? with what preamp?

You don't use 2 mics on an acoustic?
Mono acoustics rule! I just do a second track that is in the ball park of playing the same thing as the first track. It creates so much more ear candy.
I like ribbons (Fathead II) for a more wooly acoustic sound. The RME converters are also great for the money.

Good luck.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Head

RME ADI-8DS

I just got a ADI-8DS recently borrowed from a friend(long term). I was upgrading from a mbox pro... I can't stress how big the difference is. Iwas a protools hd user and though the RME is different, it's at least as good. They say the RME's are up there with Apogees. I don't know about that but they're great high definition converters and you can make high quality recordings. I more noticed a dramatic difference when I went to mix. It seems like there is more space in the mix for the vocal placement and clarity. Lavry makes some converters worth looking into along with Lynx , Mytek , and Benchmark , from what the gearsluts say. I like the RME though. Any complaining about it would be nitpicking or excuse making as to why the record doesn't sound the way it should. I say once you get to a certain level , the human ear won't really be able to tell that much so , go for it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search