The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Marshall Altman??? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

Marshall Altman???

Anyone hear of this guy. I've been listening to the new Matt Nathanson CD, which, by the way is off the hook! I guessed Marshall Altman mixed his album. This thing sounds great! I don't know who engineered it, but any info on gear used to track this album? The whole vibe is awesome! I've been waiting for his new cd and he definitely delivered IMO.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Virginia Coalition just got out of the studio with Marshall and they had nothing but great things to say about him.

can't give you any info on the matt nathanson album, but from what they've told me, Marshall's a great guy. (edit) I am *very* much looking forward to hearing the fruits of their labor--the vibe is one of the things i'm most looking forward to. heh

cheers,
wade
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Marshall is an awesome and talented guy...he was A&R on our album on Columbia. As far as the Matt Nathanson album, I think Brian Malouf mixed it.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

Marshall is a great guy, did A&R for Columbia and Hollywood for a long time. great person to work with.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbandtimmy View Post
Anyone hear of this guy. I've been listening to the new Matt Nathanson CD, which, by the way is off the hook! I guessed Marshall Altman mixed his album. This thing sounds great! I don't know who engineered it, but any info on gear used to track this album? The whole vibe is awesome! I've been waiting for his new cd and he definitely delivered IMO.

Mark Wienberg and Marshall Altman Produced it, I engineered it (all but a few) and my buddy Ryan Williams mixed it.... I am glad you like it... It was an amazing record to work on and Matt is a wonderful musician. We had a blast making this record enjoy...
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Marshall Altman is a really good guy. Super generous and likeable to the end. Had a great experience working with him. He becomes family real quick.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Mark Wienberg and Marshall Altman Produced it, I engineered it (all but a few) and my buddy Ryan Williams mixed it.... I am glad you like it... It was an amazing record to work on and Matt is a wonderful musician. We had a blast making this record enjoy...
This CD sounds really great! The more I listen the more I like it. I love it when a cd comes out and you can listen to it strait through and enjoy the whole album. Awesome job!

What mics were used for acoustic guitar and for vocals ? I'm really liking the acoustic guitar sound on Still and All We Are and that Car Crash song is really getting stuck in my head

indie, I just clicked on your myspace links. I've never heard of The Wilshires, great sounding stuff! Is that your band? I see you mixed The Pat Mcgee Band, very nice!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi, thanks. Yes, 'The Wilshires' is my wife and I...we were called just 'Wilshire' back when we worked with Marshall.
And yes, I just mixed the new Pat Mcgee Band album - there's some great writing on it.thumbsup
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbandtimmy View Post
This CD sounds really great! The more I listen the more I like it. I love it when a cd comes out and you can listen to it strait through and enjoy the whole album. Awesome job!

What mics were used for acoustic guitar and for vocals ? I'm really liking the acoustic guitar sound on Still and All We Are and that Car Crash song is really getting stuck in my head

indie, I just clicked on your myspace links. I've never heard of The Wilshires, great sounding stuff! Is that your band? I see you mixed The Pat Mcgee Band, very nice!
Finally opened the good luck CD I got Tuesday when it was released....Looks Like many people worked on this album...So I will let you know what I was apart of.

I cut 7 songs 2 of of which where B sides and the other 5 made the record.

Come On Get Higher
Gone
To The Beat Of Our Noisy Heart
Still
All We Are

Tracked at The Boat in Silverlake CA on an Neve 8028 I think it was
Tracked Live

This is what I can remember

Vocals- Pearlman (at Marshalls studio) Tracking was a 67 i believe (which you did not hear ...just to let you know)
Ac GTR- U47
Elec GTR 1-57/121
Elec GTR 2 421/121
Bass B15-Fet 47/421/DI
Drums:
Kick Changed around based on song but basically-d112/421/subkick/NS10
Snare top-451/57
Snare bottom- 57....could have been a 441 too
Hat-58
Ride 451
toms-ATM 25s
OH-221b
Rooms-M49s
Alt Rooms-NS10s

That is about it.....

I am gld you are enjoying this...

Karl E.
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

from Marshall Altman re: Some Mad Hope - Matt Nathanson

hey. it's me, marshall altman. really stoked to know matt's new record is getting such a strong response. even more pleased to know that my peers are feeling the quality of the work, as well. i got to work with some amazing people on this record. Matt, Mark Weinberg (co-producer), Karl Egsieker , Ryan Williams, Brian Malouf, all the players, too.

some answers to the questions posed on this thread, and some more info of note:

the record was recorded in 2 phases, basically. the first part of the record (car crash, detroit waves, heartbreak world, wedding dress, bulletproof weeks, falling apart, & sooner surrender) was tracked at Prarie Sun Studios in Marin County and at House of Blues in Encino, Ca.
Matt's live band at the time were all on the sessions (John Thomasson - bass, Aaron Tap - guitar, Jason Mackenzie - drums (he's no longer part of Matt's band), and Jim McGorman played keys.

we started preproduction in July of 2005, and started tracking in August 2005 (yes, 2005). as it's been quite some time since then, this may not be completely accurate, but i think it's close....

Brian Scheuble tracked basics on the following @ Prarie Sun:
-car crash
-wedding dress
-sooner surrender
-falling apart
-bullet proof weeks
-heartbreak world

i recorded all the overdubs on these (most of the electrics gtrs, some bass, acoustic gtrs, vocals, and percussion) at my little room on burbank blvd., which eventually turned into the studio i'm in now, the galt line.

vocals were recorded with a very early Pearlman TM-1 (German tube). it's one of the silver ones, which he stopped making after #30, i think. Brent Averill API 312A into a Distressor was the chain.

also recorded the acoustics with the same setup, although i did use an Avalon 737sp on a few tracks, but recut them, as the 737 was too slick for the sound we were trying to get.

Brian Malouf mixed these tracks (car crash, detroit waves, heartbreak world, wedding dress, bulletproof weeks, & sooner surrender), at his studio, Cookie Jar, in Studio City. Did an amazing job on them.

on the songs that Karl tracked (Come On Get Higher,Gone, To The Beat Of Our Noisy Heart, Still,All We Are), i used the same Pearlman for vocals, but used a JFL MP4 as the preamp, into a Distressor. on the acoustics, i used the Pearlman again, but used the JFL MPF6e and a Distressor.

the band on the phase 3 sessions (that Karl recorded) was amazing. stunning, actually. John Thomasson on bass (in matt's band), Aaron Tap on guitars (matt's band as well), Michael Chaves on guitar, Ben West on keys, and Jason McGerr on drums. Karl did a great job with the recordings.

Ryan Williams mixed these tracks (Come On Get Higher,Gone, To The Beat Of Our Noisy Heart, Still,All We Are), as well as Falling Apart, which we re-cut the vocals, acoustics, and lots of other stuff on after the first go-around. Ryan mixed at Pulse Studios in Silverlake.

in further reference to the acoustic guitar sound, most the acoustic tracks were cut using Matt's 1950's Gibson Roy Schmek (definitely on Still and All We Are), which is truly one of the best sounding acoustic guitars i've ever recorded.

again, it really means a lot to me that the record was mentioned on this forum. i too, am a gear slut.

that's a pretty long answer to a question about the vocal and acoustic guitar sounds, isnt' it?

right now, i'm just wrapping up recalls on the new Virginia Coalition record. mixing with Eric Robinson, my engineer and business partner in the Galt Line Studios. Joe Zook recorded basics at Track Record in North Hollywood, and all the overdubs were done at the Galt Line in Burbank.

the new Adema album, which i produced and mixed, is out next week on Immortal Records. couldn't be more different from the Matt Nathanson record, but i'm really proud of it as well. Basics recorded by Ryan Williams at Pulse Recording in Silverlake (he killed it!). good to get my metal back on....

hit me up on myspace (myspace.com/marshallaltman)
my outdated website is www.marshallaltman.com

marshall
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to post all of that info Karl and Marshall, very cool insight. I thought the acoustic guitar was probably a Collings, surprised it was an old Gibson, nice. Awesome to hear Michael Chaves played on the album. I think this album is going to do really well!
Old 19th October 2007
Here for the gear

thanks for all the info, marshall and karl... love the sound of the record! can you provide any details about the bass on "car crash?" the mix is wonderful, and his elastic playing style really works with the song... any specific relating to the bass recording/chain would be appreciated. thanks a lot and great work!

dave
portland, oregon, usa
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Marshall rules as does eric robinson! really admire you guys work!
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Marshall's also a good songwriter.
Old 17th February 2008
Gear Head

Thanks again for your replies Marshall and Karl! I was just taking another look at some of the gear used on the record as I'm still enjoying the record as much as I did last year in August.

Also, I was just checking Matt Wertz's website to see if he had any shows coming up that were close by and see that he finally signed a major record deal and is going to be working with Marshall. That is awesome news. I can't wait to hear the results!
Old 19th May 2008
Here for the gear

Marshall Altman

Hey.. it's Brian Scheuble here... I recorded a bunch of tracks of the Matt N cd up in San Fran, then a second time to record o/d's.. I know they did a lot more work a good year after me. Marshall is fantastic! He's a guy to watch, for sure!
Mixing wise they're a bunch of people on it...as well.
Best,
brian
Old 19th May 2008
Gear Maniac

Welcome Brian,

Glad you found us here - lots of obsessive and manic discussion to distract from actual
work. Hey, outstanding job tracking the Nathanson CD. After Marshall's post here,
I e-mailed him to applaud the album, and he is as good of a guy as reported.

That album has some absolutely wonderful acoustic guitar sounds - in fact, I listened
to "Bulletproof Weeks" and "Still over and over again to get my ears used to some new
monitors. Big fan of "Detroit Waves" and "Falling Apart" as well - really nice natural piano
sound, and a great part in the bridge that echos the lead vox.

You should be very proud - please keep us posted on your next projects.

Warmest Regards,

Matt Heck
Austin, TX

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search