The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hard Drive Recommendations, Please DAW Software
Old 18th August 2007
  #1
Hard Drive Recommendations, Please

Hey, folks. I'm looking for some recommendations for a 200 - 300 GB Hard Drive for use with Pro Tools (so it needs that Oxford 911 chip).

Firewire 800 is preferred, as would an internal power supply (using an IEC connection).

Any ideas y'all have would be great. Thanks!
Old 18th August 2007
  #2
LaCie or Glyph at the affordable end of the spectrum
Old 18th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
Glyph

has Seagate inside

a winning combo!!!!!

heh

plus - buy a pair - use one as a backup

Old 18th August 2007
  #4
7200rpm Seagate Barracuda is what I've been using for years with good results.
Old 18th August 2007
  #5
Right for the moment we have good results with the Western Digital - MyBook.

We had a lot of trouble with Lacie... I'll never buy any Lacie in my life... I even would not work on them when they gave the drives for free...

Lost more than 2 Terra in total in the last two years. Luckely we do daily back-up's.

Kind regards from Belgium

Pedro
Old 19th August 2007
  #6
Gear Nut
 

western digital makes a good 10k SATA2 drive Raptor WD1500ADFD. It is only 150GB though, but the seek times go down dramatically from the 7200rpm drives. runs about $250 around here, but you can find em on pricewatch.com as low as $200.
Old 20th August 2007
  #7
Gear Addict
 
jfw3's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog View Post
LaCie or Glyph at the affordable end of the spectrum
Depends on which LaCie.

LaCie d2 drives = Good

LaCie Porsche series = Worst drives in the history of drives

You are better off with no backup, at least that way you will be more careful with your master. Seriously, these drives are a disgrace. They are hands down the ****tiest drive currently being made.
Old 20th August 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
FossilTooth's Avatar
 

The Glyphs are great and don't need an external power supply.

The OWC mercury elite is great as well, and a bit less expensive. I had an 80GB for about 6 years with no issues. I now have a 250gb and it's going strong as well. You can get them at OWC: Apple Mac G4 upgrades, Laptop Batteries, Memory, Drives
Old 20th August 2007
  #9
JB3
Gear Addict
 

Since you mentioned the 911 chip from Oxford, gather you mean an external drive is needed...

Just recently purchased a G-Drive from G-Technology Inc.(http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVE.cfm). No Fan. Sturdy. Fast. Oxford 912 chip. Especially the Q-Drive which is also e-SATA(http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVEQ.cfm) Oxford 924 chip. (Also comes highly recommended from MacWorld.) I researched it and bought on the basis of several clients and friends who are currently using them in either small audio suites or tracking.

Secondary thoughts of drives I have used in the past and are also highly rated in general- from Other World Computing: Mercury Elite Pro Aluminum and Mercury Elite Pro (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/). And Pacific Pro Audio drives (http://www.pacificproaudio.com/drives.asp).

Did I mention that I really like the G-Drive (320 GB) I just added to the studio? (Try Melrose Mac, Mac Mall, Apple.com)

YMMV...

...JB
Old 20th August 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
Glyph

has Seagate inside

a winning combo!!!!!

heh

plus - buy a pair - use one as a backup

I know it, don't get caught up in the Glyph marketing scam
I can't believe people buy those
Old 20th August 2007
  #11
Gear Head
 
WannaBStudioNut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw3 View Post
Depends on which LaCie.

LaCie d2 drives = Good

LaCie Porsche series = Worst drives in the history of drives

You are better off with no backup, at least that way you will be more careful with your master. Seriously, these drives are a disgrace. They are hands down the ****tiest drive currently being made.
I have 10 Lacie Porsche 250Gig Drives. Had a problem with one, but it was my fault for not Reformatting before i used it. heh

Did you Reformatt it??
Old 20th August 2007
  #12
Gear Head
 
WannaBStudioNut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw3 View Post
Depends on which LaCie.

LaCie d2 drives = Good

LaCie Porsche series = Worst drives in the history of drives

You are better off with no backup, at least that way you will be more careful with your master. Seriously, these drives are a disgrace. They are hands down the ****tiest drive currently being made.
Hi J. How r ya?? Guess who???........Mate!!...

Hint..... Use to play in JH band with ya???
Old 20th August 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
Since you mentioned the 911 chip from Oxford, gather you mean an external drive is needed...

Just recently purchased a G-Drive from G-Technology Inc.(http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVE.cfm). No Fan. Sturdy. Fast. Oxford 912 chip. Especially the Q-Drive which is also e-SATA(http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVEQ.cfm) Oxford 924 chip. (Also comes highly recommended from MacWorld.) I researched it and bought on the basis of several clients and friends who are currently using them in either small audio suites or tracking.

Secondary thoughts of drives I have used in the past and are also highly rated in general- from Other World Computing: Mercury Elite Pro Aluminum and Mercury Elite Pro (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/). And Pacific Pro Audio drives (http://www.pacificproaudio.com/drives.asp).

Did I mention that I really like the G-Drive (320 GB) I just added to the studio? (Try Melrose Mac, Mac Mall, Apple.com)

YMMV...

...JB
+1 on the G-Drives. I have two of them (they come in different sizes, but unfortunately uniform shapes and colors) and they are solid, dependable performers. Oh, and the cool-looking PowerMac-like casing is the cat's pajamas.
Old 27th August 2007
  #15
Gear Addict
 
jfw3's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBStudioNut View Post
Hi J. How r ya?? Guess who???........Mate!!...

Hint..... Use to play in JH band with ya???
MICK!!!!

Email me

JFW
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
wes / So much gear, so little time
1
Jesse Dunn / So much gear, so little time
36
gear head / Music Computers
2
bezo / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
3
dcpianoman / Music Computers
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump