The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Germanium Compressor on 2bus Studio Headphones
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Chandler Germanium Compressor on 2bus

Is the Chandler Germanium Compressor out yet for sale. does anyone have it and tried it on 2bus. ow does it sound?
Old 18th August 2007
Yes.

Yes.

Are you asking for adjectives like "amazing" or it's going an open top, with clear mids?

My advice to you as far as the Germ Comp goes is ignore everything you hear about sonics and how cool or disappointing it is or whatever becomes the popular thing around here to say, and really think about two key things, the effect of the internal sidechain and the effect of the mix knob, allowing parallel compression within the box.

If that means anything to you, you'll be very excited by this compressor. If it doesn't you'll be one of the people who doesn't' get it and writes it off as hype.

If you're asking about using it as a stereo buss compressor, does the prospect of parallel compression on the stereo buss interest you or is that not your taste and something you'd never consider? Obviously you don't have to use that feature, but that's what makes it unique.

When people talk about "transparent" related to compression, there are two meanings. There's the Neve 2254 transparent, as in not tonally transparent at all. What you get out sounds tonally different from what you put in. There's also "artifact transparent" which arguably means nothing. My meaning of that is something that I care a lot about and is relatively a new thing.

I did a demo/spec mix the other day for a prospective client. He had a lot of detailed questions and it was clear that it would be far easier to put up a track and play around for a bit. Luckily I really like the client and the guy and we had a great time hanging out. At the end of or mixing time as we printed I asked him to listen to see if he could hear any compression at any point and neither of us could.

While walking down Bourbon Street one night at the Tape Op conference in NOLA, Greg Calbi made a comment about how "Michael Brauer's compression is always so perfect" and that comment stuck. The more I thought about it the more I was unsure of what it meant.

So, as I listened to any Brauer mixes I listened for the compression to hear it and it wasn't until I noticed something that I perceived as a compression error that I understood the comment.

The point of this long tangent is Germanium tone yadda yadda, sounds great, no surprise there, the Germ Comp is very well suited for compressing transparently, not without tone, but without compression "errors".

Since everything is subjective, the question is, is my "error" your coolest sound ever? Is transparent gain reduction fluctuations something you want? If it is, insert the positive superlative of your choice. If you want a compressor that makes the big sections like the chorus small, then this is not the compressor for you, because it's nature makes that unlikely to happen.

If you need me to phrase it simply, I think it's great because what it does best is a priority for me. However, I have no idea what you're looking for in a 2 buss compressor.
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
If you need me to phrase it simply, I think it's great because what it does best is a priority for me. However, I have no idea what you're looking for in a 2 buss compressor.
i think what mike is saying is that he ****ing loves the box but doesnt wanna sound like a a typical mook with a new toy gushing profusely so someone will actually take him seriously that he, again, loves the box.

did i understand you correctly, herr caffrey?
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

thanks fort the responsse. I am going to check it out at AES
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Man, you all really make the conferences. I'm jealous. I have a couple of idiot chandler questions.

Don't you mean two germ compressors on the 2 buss or does it have stereo ins for this?

How many units will one chandler power supply operate? Thanx
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post

One supply powers two units perfectly.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
Man, you all really make the conferences. I'm jealous. I have a couple of idiot chandler questions.

Don't you mean two germ compressors on the 2 buss or does it have stereo ins for this?

They are mono... You need 2 for stereo and it has a link function
Old 7th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joji View Post
Is the Chandler Germanium Compressor out yet for sale. does anyone have it and tried it on 2bus. ow does it sound?
anyone else wanna chime in?

heh
Old 21st June 2010
Yesterday I posted about how I use the Germ Comp on the two bus in the following thread:

Chandler Germanium as mix bus compressor
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search