The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
to buy or not to buy Condenser Microphones
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

to buy or not to buy

Pacifica, ADL 600, beyer mc930 pair. Buy all of them for my home studio to record a solo album?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

what do you want to accomplish? (specifics)
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

band project? drums? what type of music, give us a hint !!
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Okay, 10 song album. Melody driven songs. Vocals (I have a pretty high voice), Bass (fender Jazz), Clean and Heavy electric guitar (carvin with new pickups and a vox ac30cc), acoustic guitar (taylor), acoustic piano (yamaha upright), acoustic drums (not the best set but a new pork pie snare with zildgian cymbals.) Some percussion like tambourine and shakers. Maybe some strings down the line.

I aldready own Rode NT-2000 LDC, sennheiser e906 dynamic, an sm57, some crap MXL mics, an AKG Perception 200.

I am going for a bigger but clean drum sound usually with just 4 mics.

I use pro tools M-powered with a nice mac pro, an M-audio project Mix. No good plug-ins yet.

I'm really into the beatles in everyway. The production aesthetic I'm going for is warm and pleasant, but still rocking and big. Most of the songs are guitar driven. The songwriting style is mostly beatles and weezer influenced, but a bit more modern.

I want to record something that people view as a nice sonic piece of art, something good to listen to on a nice set of headphones.

The songs are all pretty emotional, only me and 1 other person will be performing.

Im recording drums 1st over demos, everything else comes on top of that.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm not sure if the 2 pres will compliment each other with the mics. I hear they're both clean, just not sure if they're capable of "warmth."
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

what kind of budget do you have for your upgrades?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

$7k
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Using your Beyer pair on the acoustic guitar through the ADL600 will sound very good. This has become my go-to pre for acoustic instruments. Same with overheads in a 4-mic setup.

I don't see anything in your mic list that I would use on kick, though. You might want to pick up a D112, Beta 52, or M 88. On second thought, if you're into the Beatles that much use an LDC a few feet out from the kick.

Having used the ADL600 for several months now, I can honestly say that it does add a bit of warmth. It's got a clean sound but not surgical.

No experience with the Pacifica, but it's a favorite around here so there must be a reason for that.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'll throw in a recommendation for the four channel Sebatron pre. It's nicely priced, has great sound and can be colored or clean. That'd also leave you more budget for mics and maybe a two-channel "clean" type of pre...possibly that Pacifica. It seems that a good LDC - one that works with your voice - ideally a matched pair even - and a couple ribbon mics...say an AEA R84 and/or a pair of Beyer M160 mics would be worth considering.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone, I have been using the sennheiser mic as my kick, it sounds nice actually. I really do prefer a bigger roomier kick sound though, but it mixes in well and adds thump. Yeah, I was also thinking of a nicer LDC or Ribbon but they get pricey. What is the best mic for less than $1K for my plan you think?
I've been looking into the mojave mics.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianvargo View Post
Pacifica, ADL 600, beyer mc930 pair. Buy all of them for my home studio to record a solo album?

If you have to ask, you're in the wrong forum heh

I don't know if this is on your radar, but I just bought a UA LA-610 (has the 610 tube pre and a LA-2A style compressor) and I am madly in love with it for vintage sounding vocals. Also a killer bass DI.

This song is female vox into an AT 4047 into the LA-610. No eq, just a touch of 'verb. I think it sounds pretty cool.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Death Monkey ....... that's more than cool! Very nice job, love her voice!

Now I need to look into getting more gear!

Good start to the day!

Cheers

forsooth
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

That does sound nice, but I hear that the UA stuff isn't great on drums... Have you used it?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianvargo View Post
That does sound nice, but I hear that the UA stuff isn't great on drums... Have you used it?
Yeah, I would agree with that, although I've only done two or three sessions with drums, and am by no means anything but a drum recording n00b. I used my UA 2-610 on overheads and wasn't impressed. I wonder if a kick wouldn't sound good through the LA-610, tho.

Like I said, I use it for vocals and bass, and I really like it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search