The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
gefell m930 or neumann tlm 103. need user feedback Condenser Microphones
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

gefell m930 or neumann tlm 103. need user feedback

Looking to buy either one of these two microphones and would love some feedback from people who have used both.
Whatever i buy wil be used predominantly for hip-hop vocals. Im looking for that small tight compressed kinda sound- think Nas- Illmatic, Wu-Tang - 36 chambers etc. Not the the overly huge over hyped modern hip hop vocal sound.
If anyone has any samples of these two mics it would be much appreciated. I would love to try both side by side but unfortunately in the UK their is no place that stocks both and allow you to test them.

thanks and many blessings
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

bump
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd go with the Gefell. It's a nice full bodied "round" sound, not overly hyped in any way. A sound that just works. Great build quality aswell.

In my world the TLM Neumanns are hit or miss. Usually miss. A little shrill, edgy and hollow, lacking the "chest" and dimension the Gefell has.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

i was leaning towards the the m930 as well but i really need to try them. If any one in the uk has these mics and is willing to let me shoot them out for 20 minutes it would be much appreciated. Id be willing to pay as well.

are there any shootouts between these two mics? Ive been searchin all over the internet i found some sound clips of the tlm103 but not the gefell.
thanks
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

i have, and use, both.
have gone on record how i much prefer the m930, though both are handy.

mB
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

I hope ints not too much to ask. I dont suppose you have any recordings with either one that i could listen to.

many blessings
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

bump
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I've never used this gefell, but had to use to many times the TLM103, and i can write in big letters that it SUCKS !!!! It doesn't justify it's price point, and it sounds so fake... before dropping the money on a TLM 103 i'd go with a Studio Projects B1, it also sounds fakey but you know, at least it is 100 euros.
Old 19th August 2007
mds
Lives for gear

I don't have an m930, but I prefer the MT71 over the TLM103 by a lot. Also, having read a lot of GS over the years, I think the conventional wisdom is that any Gefell would probably be generically better than the TLM103. Its a hated mic on these boards (its not that bad, but people like to bash). Gefell makes outstanding mics that have a lot of Neumann vibe to them. Always listen before buying, but I think the m930 is the safer choice of the two.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

bump
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have the M930 and my brother has the TLM103. I've tracked on both and prefer the M930 by far. It does have that "small, focused" sound you're looking for, although, you do have to watch out for sibilance and plosives. The TLM103 sounds a little cheap to me (as mentioned before).

If you were in the US, I'd offer to sell you my M930. It's up in the second-hand forum now.

WATYF
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

If you're UK based maybe you should contact KMR. They loaned me the 930, the MT71 and the tube 92.1 and I ended up buying the last two. All outstanding mics though and I'd say more versatile than the TLM103 (not as bad as some people say really, it's just ok and a bit bright). I'd describe them like this: the 930 - clean and open sounding but still vibey, never hard, really full spectrum .... the MT71 - a bit more coloured with a slightly rounded but still present top... the 92.1 - the most coloured and great for vocals.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search