The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors for new Control Room...S3a or 1032? Studio Monitors
Old 17th August 2007
Monitors for new Control Room...S3a or 1032?

Building a new control room. 18'8" wide x 15'4" deep.

Will the Adam S3As with appropriate sub be sufficient?
Would the Genelec 1032s with an appropriate sub be much different for the size of the space.
These would be my main monitors.
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

S3A or 1032?
Pizza or spaghetti?

All depends on your own taste!

Personally I like pizza and S3As best heh
Try them without sub first, could be OK.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

What are the dimensions of the room and the layout.

I personally have never been able to get a handle on the S3A. Hate 'em, actually. Not that I hate all Adams. But if I had five grand to spend on a system, I'd go with the 1032s over the S3A.

I'd also look in to Lipinsky.

But again, the room and the style of music all have to be factored in.
Old 17th August 2007
Might want to look into the Focal Twin6 Be's as well. They are not only incredible to work with but my mixes have never translated better.
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy dog View Post
S3A or 1032?
Pizza or spaghetti?

All depends on your own taste!

Personally I like pizza and S3As best heh
Try them without sub first, could be OK.
I've heard them with and without a sub in 2 different environments. I do prefer them with a sub. In fact, in the room where they were without a sub I did not like them at all. Had nothing to do with not having a sub. They just didn't sound good to my ears. Also seemed to have a fairly low overhead. Didn't play very loud and when pushed sounded worse. The other room I had the opposite experience.
Speakers seem so damn dependent on the room they sit in. Would be great to have them parade in front of you until you hear something that works for you.
Old 17th August 2007
+1 on lipinski's

I can't afford 'em. Had 'em in the studio for a week. Loved 'em. Ended up with Focals solo6's. Like 'em better (by a mile) than the adams.

the Focals replaced some genelecs FWIW...

Last edited by KungFuLio; 17th August 2007 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: one more comment
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter View Post
What are the dimensions of the room and the layout.

I personally have never been able to get a handle on the S3A. Hate 'em, actually. Not that I hate all Adams. But if I had five grand to spend on a system, I'd go with the 1032s over the S3A.

I'd also look in to Lipinsky.

But again, the room and the style of music all have to be factored in.
Dimensions are listed in my initial post. Ceilings are about 12'.
I've been a Genelec fan for quite a while. Used 1032s with a Tannoy sub when I was operating out of Studio 2 at Sigma. 1031s at a friends and 1030s with a 7060 sub in my place.
I have Westlakes with Brystons sitting in storage from my Euphonix room. I grew to dislike those speakers but love the Brystons.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
I've been a Genelec fan for quite a while. Used 1032s with a Tannoy sub when I was operating out of Studio 2 at Sigma. 1031s at a friends and 1030s with a 7060 sub in my place.
If you're real used to a two-way with a bigger woofer, the S2.5A may be more to your taste than the S3A.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
If you're real used to a two-way with a bigger woofer, the S2.5A may be more to your taste than the S3A.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Care to send a pair of each when the room is ready so I can compare?

BTW replied to your PM
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Those S3As were the absolute best speakers I've ever heard.
Old 18th August 2007
I'd avoid the sub unless your room is very well (acoustically)treated.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Will the Adam S3As with appropriate sub be sufficient?

yes.

pizza vs. spaghetti? more like a scalpel vs. a chainsaw.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 18th August 2007
Here for the gear

When I posted was dinner time, and I don't eat scalpels heh
Old 18th August 2007
Does the S3A use 3x150w amps or 3x250w amps?
Old 18th August 2007
**** genelec. 1031s ruined my life for 2 years. worst mixing speaker ever created. i'd rather have an auratone than a genelec. i am deadly serious about this. i wouldn't piss on a genelec speaker if it was on fire. no piece of gear has pissed me off more.

dont waste your money... they have sheet metal 10k top end.. a hole big enough to drive a truck thru at the crossover point and the bass always sounds the same no matter what you do... you'll make the world's most boring mixes because they present all the wrong info.

so the ADAMs win by forfeit

speakers i like: dynaudio M1, M1.5, M2; just about anything by quested; proacs are ok, b&w hifi speakers make me do nice things to focus the mids in mixes... and, of course, the horrortone.. which i get huge mileage out of
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
**** genelec. 1031s ruined my life for 2 years. worst mixing speaker ever created. i'd rather have an auratone than a genelec. i am deadly serious about this. i wouldn't piss on a genelec speaker if it was on fire. no piece of gear has pissed me off more.

dont waste your money... they have sheet metal 10k top end.. a hole big enough to drive a truck thru at the crossover point and the bass always sounds the same no matter what you do... you'll make the world's most boring mixes because they present all the wrong info.

so the ADAMs win by forfeit

speakers i like: dynaudio M1, M1.5, M2; just about anything by quested; proacs are ok, b&w hifi speakers make me do nice things to focus the mids in mixes... and, of course, the horrortone.. which i get huge mileage out of
So does this mean you don't care for the S3As that much?
Old 19th August 2007
Quote:
So does this mean you don't care for the S3As that much?
never heard em, i have no opinion. i'm suspicious of the ribbons because who listens to ribbons at home? not sure how relevant they are to the real world. but a lot of ppl i respect like them so who knows? certainly not me.

biggest thing with mixing speakers tho is not how music sounds thru them but what they encourage you to do when mixing thru them... i have a cheap set of b&w hifi speakers i like because everything i mix thru them has a nice focused mid quality to it... i'm not crazy about the top end on em, but they make me do useful things..

same with the horrortone.. it pushes me in the right direction.. i dont have to guess a lot. it's very easy to hear when sounds are fighting for space on a horrortone. it's not very detailed. it gives me 200Hz-5k which is where i spend most of my time anyhow..

so you wont know how a speaker sounds until you mix for awhile on it then take it around to other systems to try and figure out what it sounds like..

and what works for one might have no relevance at all to someone else.. speakers are so personal. some ppl make great mixes on speakers that just confuse me

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search