The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying a new pre/channel strip Condenser Microphones
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

Buying a new pre/channel strip

I am looking for a second quality pre to complement my existing API A2D (which I love). I also have the DigimaxLT. What would be a good additional pre or channel strip that doesn't break totally the bank (<2k)? I am thinking something with tubes might be nice. I posted previously regarding the suPRE, but no one seems to actually have experience using it. I was consiering the Millenia SST-1, but it is a bit over budget.

My mics include the a Mojave MA200, 2xAKG 414 XLS, 2xSM81s, 57s, 58s, AT 3035, D112.

My studio is built around the 003 and I currently have only the mic pres and no other outboard gear. (cept vintage guitars, vintage amps and stompboxes). I want something rich and detailed for vocals and acoustic guitar. Thoughts...

Thanks.

Scot
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well, not under $2K but the Pendulum Quartet is very reasonably priced and sounds great. Plus all four sections (pre, comp, EQ and De-esser) are separately patchable fo it's like getting four units in one. Cheaper than a VoxBox ar the Millennia.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

You should take a listen to the various UA 610 preamps out there. I'm sure you can get a full channel strip version and they absolutely kick ass on di bass and heavy guitars. Also works really well on vocals, at least what I've had the chance to use it on thus far.
Old 17th August 2007
In all seriousness, there's an eBay auction going now (saw it yesterday but don't have the link at the moment) for an Amek Channel In A Box. Starting bid was $1k. Awesome channel strip from the 9098i console (pre, comp, eq, filters, etc.). Designed by Mr. Rupert Neve.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks. How would you compare the basic sound of the CIB to the API A2D?
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

Hey Scott,

(this ain't no hard sell). I have some vintage Harrison 3232 strips pro racked
for sale in the classifieds. They are superb sounding. Plenty of head room and have a great eq with killer filters. It could be a good option pending on your budget. Either way from what you described, it's right down your alley.

Happy Days,
Mat.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Not the best but definatly not the worst..Maybe the Universal Audio LA610....its friggin nice for just 1500 usd...i like it alot...simple but great...

jun
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

LA610 or the ADL, either one is a great 2nd flavor.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks all. Keep those cards and letters coming!
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

What about the Sebatron VMP?
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks. I read some so so reviews regarding the Sebatron although some here seem to like it. I will have to do some more research. I'd love to get my hands on a demo...
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattledaddy View Post
Thanks. How would you compare the basic sound of the CIB to the API A2D?
Can't tell for the A2D, but I use a CIB and API 512s on a regular basis.

The API will give you just the preamp, with some sonic options when using the PAD and the 2:1 tranny tap, and a A/D converter. Well, actually 2 of each.
The Amek has the whole works: preamp, HP and LP filters, hi and low EQ, 2 fully parametric mids and a compressor. All the EQs can be used in the comp's sidechain and you can run a mic and a line audio path at the same time and switch any section into either one. Very versatile.

Soundwise I think the CIB is a bit less mid-hard as the API (which is still a good thing) but not as "softening" as a Germanium or Neve/clone. Tons of clean gain, even in the red, and even clipping sounds cool.
Old 25th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattledaddy View Post
My mics include the a Mojave MA200, 2xAKG 414 XLS, 2xSM81s, 57s, 58s, AT 3035, D112.
Your mic locker isn't very big, yet you're reaching for a third preamp flavor. I'd look into more mics personally. I think adding another preamp flavor just doesn't make sense at this point but maybe that's just me.

No ribbon in there either, which would add to your setup 1000 times the sonic difference of any preamp change.

War
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

yup, totally agree - more mics
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

OT: @War: what's with the wall in your avatar?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

what kind of stuff are you tracking?

Just guitar and vox overdubs?

I think you'd be better off getting a nice ldc. There's nothing on your list thats really great for vox. Something like a lawson l47 or peluso 2247 is great on vox and acoustic guitar. There's no reason you can't get some killer sounds with your api for vox and guitar.

If you really want a new preamp... The pacifica is my favorite 2 channel preamp. If you want just a strip maybe the daking, vintech 73, used ltd2, used tg channel... All of those would be nice pre/eq

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search