The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 series: Shadow Hills Gamma...comments? 500 Series Preamps
Old 17th August 2007
500 series: Shadow Hills Gamma...comments?

I'm getting ready for a second 10 space API rack. Would like to add a few different pres to accompany my 512s. Anyone use the Shadow Hills Gamma pre (500 series)?
Same pre as the Gamma 8?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a mono Gama and luv it. Being able to switch the output from steel to nickel or xformerless is a cool idea. I dig the nickel on female vocals. It can also sound good on gits too. Asfaras the mono being the same as the Gama 8, I think you have more add on options than the mono, as there is also an iron xformer option for the 8, but not the mono...

Get it!!

Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I own 4 of them. To me they are easily some of my favorite preamps. Between the 3 settings there isn't much these pre's can't do. They sound amazing on pretty much anything I have thrown on them. Well worth the money in my opinion. Cheers
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru
Seconded. (Or is that thirded, or forthed) Great box. And the output options make it very versatile.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have Gamma and I like it very much-one of the best in my lunchbox,,
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Couldn't agree more!! I have a pair (I think Rob and I got the first six-eight serial numbers of these) You can't make them sound bad (or you would have to be trying mighty hard) and with three tranny options it is easy to make them sound good. I only prefer my Buzz Elixir for vocals (usually)..............otherwise I agree below.

You would never regret them........................did I mention the great looks and superior build quality? No, I am not in any way affiliated.

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I own 4 of them. To me they are easily some of my favorite preamps. Between the 3 settings there isn't much these pre's can't do. They sound amazing on pretty much anything I have thrown on them. Well worth the money in my opinion. Cheers
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Huge Thumbs Up here at Burst HQ!

We just used them this week on horn overdubs for a new group on Pharrell's Star Trak label, and everyone agreed they were kiilin it (mic was a Royer 121).

So, yeah, grab a few...
Old 18th August 2007
+1 on the SH GAMA. It's like getting 3 pres in 1. Can't go wrong with it, and IMHO a must have in any 500 rack.
Old 18th August 2007
Taking a quick look at a SHG jpeg it appears there isn't a pad.
Is the headroom that substantial that you never really require a pad or are you guys just throwing an in line pad when needed?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a gama 8 and it is really a great preamp.

There is a 20db pad switch and it is often necessary to use especially with hot mics on loud sources. It sort of reminds me of my API's in that both mic pres run fairly hot signal wise. The 20DB pad can also be used to overdrive the pre so you get that thick overdriven sound.

Switching between the transformer choices is very subtle but I have used this function. I got 4 St Ives Tranformers in mine so there are a lot of sonic choices.
Old 18th August 2007
500 series nutjob

i have one and although i do really like it, it sees the least use of any of my 500 form pres.
this is not because i dislike it, i just have a few others that i like a lot better.
the nickel i may favorite on the MONO GAMA, very nice!
i would have preferred a iron tranny over the steal, but it dose sounds great.
as Rob said, ( and i do agree ).

Quote:
Rob King.
Between the 3 settings there isn't much these pres can't do. They sound amazing on pretty much anything I have thrown on them.
Cheers
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i have one and although i do really like it, it sees the least use of any of my 500 form pres.
this is not because i dislike it, i just have a few others that i like a lot better.
Care to mention the pres you use more often?

I already have a pair of API 512s. I want at least another pair of the API.
My goal is fill out a 10 space rack with pres. I know A Designs makes a few different colors and GR just came out with theirs.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Is the headroom that substantial that you never really require a pad or are you guys just throwing an in line pad when needed?
Jim,

There is a -20db pad on each channel that is engaged in the "pull-out" position

Stephen
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Gee View Post
Jim,

There is a -20db pad on each channel that is engaged in the "pull-out" position

Stephen
Thanks Stephen.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I agree with this. My favorite is the A-Designs P1. It's a great compliment to my BA 312s, API 512cs and the A-Designs P1 though. Can't wait to add more.
Old 18th August 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Care to mention the pres you use more often?

I already have a pair of API 512s. I want at least another pair of the API.
My goal is fill out a 10 space rack with pres. I know A Designs makes a few different colors and GR just came out with theirs.
please i do not want to hijack this this thread, but as you ask i will say the A-Designs p-1 get the most use around here.
my new favorite pre for bass is the Great River MP-500NV.
and please i am not selling the MONO GAMA short in any way it is a very very nice pre.
but the A-Designs 500 format gear dose much much more for me.
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
please i do not want to hijack this this thread, but as you ask i will say the A-Designs p-1 get the most use around here.
my new favorite pre for bass is the Great River MP-500NV.
and please i am not selling the MONO GAMA short in any way it is a very very nice pre.
but the A-Designs 500 format gear dose much much more for me.
Hey it's all good. I started this thread and also asked about your pres.
Not perceived as hijacking. I appreciate your (everyone's) input. I have 10 spaces to fill

In fact when and if you feel so inclined feel free to voice perceived differences and uses amongst your 500 series pres.

Gotta love this format.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I, too, am excited to try out the GAMA - but have to mention that I have been waiting since May on my order from Vintage King. I was told that there are a few being hand made by Peter Reardon to fulfill their orders. Not a knock on anyone (VK sent me a pair of P1s in the interim) - just an FYI...
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

I dont know if Peter changed the design on the Mono Gama, I have #31!!!

There is a 10db pad that is engaged when you "pull" the gain knob. There is also a DI. I didnt notice the DI until after I had purchased mine, but had yet to receive it. I was just so stoked about the 3 output options that I overlooked it.

I too have A-Designs, API, Eisen along with Shadow Hills....they ALL get a work out!

I have one space left in my 8 slot, and am holding out for the Germ 500!!

You will be pleased with the SH MG, it does appear to have a lil lower output than API or A-Designs, but totally workable. When I mean lil, I mean 3-6db lower....
Old 20th August 2007
Mike from Vintage King emailed me early today. I called him immediately and placed an order for (2) of the Gammas. Thanks Mike
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

you won't be sorry. i have one and could definitely use another!
Old 20th August 2007
500 series nutjob

Old 1st October 2007
Gear Addict

I have a Gama 8 and love it. The St Ives xfrmrs are also well worth it!
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
I like my Gama a lot and would like another - BUT - I agree with pan60. It gets used the least in my lunchbox. The API 512B/C's and Biz get used more. I'll add another Biz before I add another GAMA.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search