The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Problems with some Adam A7 hissing resolved Studio Monitors
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Problems with some Adam A7 hissing resolved

Hello audio sluts, my first post on this forum. i am making my first big purchase in monitoring, thinking about the A7 (of course with a sub) over genelec 8040A.

In my pursuit to find out as much as I can about these monitors, I found (on this forum) many people are having hissing problems, not only with the A7s but with other Adam monitors:
Adam A7s - are yours hissing?
who's having a7 issues?

I would not buy these monitors if there are hissing problems. Even if it sounds fine in the shop, it might appear after a few weeks or maybe months, as has happened to others. I really can't accept any hissing when paying this amount of cash even if it is considered "mid-range".

Does anyone know if the problem has been resolved? Was the cause simply a bad batch? I am particularly wary as I'm afraid I would be picking up the bad models that may still be lingering in the shops here in China!

Your comments and advice are valued!
regard,
beefybassandsub
Old 17th August 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

I just bought a pair for the B room (three months ago) and they're absolutely awesome. Mixes, pre-mixes translate exceptionally well.

I don't know that there really is a hissing problem, or a hum problem, or a (insert flavor-of-the-day) problem. Maybe a few speakers out there with a problem, but your gonna hear about those everywhere as opposed to the rest of us just using them without a hitch, day-in, day-out. And Adam and their dealers will stand behind 'em 100%.

PM David Bryce (US rep), he's here on Slutz (Bryce), he's a straight shooter and could address any "issues" they're having. (And the only issue I know of is that these speakers are out-of-stock some places because they're selling before the dealers can even get em. )

(Only place I'd go is bigger and better - Adams' own S3a's (have them in the A room) or Focal Twin (but disclaimer: I haven't heard or used the Focals.))

YMMV.

...JB
Old 17th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

We have had zero issues, zero comebacks, zero complaints.

War
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
We have had zero issues, zero comebacks, zero complaints.

War
cheers, that's assuring.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

my new pair

After ordering over a month ago, I finally got mine a few days ago. I opened them immediately at guitar center to check for the hissing problem people talk about. The monitors are not dead quiet like some others, there is an audible hiss when you put your ear close to the speaker, but then when I listened to over 20 pairs of monitor at gc, over half of them have that as well, including the most expensive ones. The A7s actually look nicer than in the pictures. When I got them home and hooked it up to my setup, one of the speakers was having distorted sounds. I immediately called the US rep, and she was very nice and helpful in scheduling an exchange. She actually called me to follow up, that shows how much they value their customers. The weirdest thing is, I continue to play audio through the distorted speakers, and after a few hours, it's back to normal. Now I don't even know whether I should exchange it or not. They're no doubt great monitors. I can safely say they're better than events & mackies, but then the A7s are more expensive. I'm happy with mine though.
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdosun View Post
After ordering over a month ago, I finally got mine a few days ago. I opened them immediately at guitar center to check for the hissing problem people talk about. The monitors are not dead quiet like some others, there is an audible hiss when you put your ear close to the speaker, but then when I listened to over 20 pairs of monitor at gc, over half of them have that as well, including the most expensive ones. The A7s actually look nicer than in the pictures. When I got them home and hooked it up to my setup, one of the speakers was having distorted sounds. I immediately called the US rep, and she was very nice and helpful in scheduling an exchange. She actually called me to follow up, that shows how much they value their customers. The weirdest thing is, I continue to play audio through the distorted speakers, and after a few hours, it's back to normal. Now I don't even know whether I should exchange it or not. They're no doubt great monitors. I can safely say they're better than events & mackies, but then the A7s are more expensive. I'm happy with mine though.
thanks for your reply. it's good hear so many people praising adam's cs. but not so good to hear so many people having issues like hissing and distortion(!!). that is definitely not building any confidence.

do genelec 8000 series have this many problems as well?

you see it's alright if you have easy access to customer service, so if you have problem with your new monitors you can get through to them quickly and schedule replacements and get them sent to you as soon as possible. I don't think it would be as easy for me due to my location which is why i am so concerned.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Nothing but praise from me.

Great monitors, which do what you want. Its not so much that they are bass "light" just that other monitors in the same range are bass "exagerrated" once you learn that its all gravy.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Check it for yourself, in your own room. One man's "silence" is another man's force 4 hurricane.

A lot of people buy these things and sit them next to a computer with fans and drives. They wouldn't hear anything if the things caught fire.

I've gone anti-active because there is no way any maker can put a decent amp into speakers at those price points. Good amps are heavy and expensive - and even they can have transformer buzz. But at least you can place them outside the room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search