The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
which microphones are similar in character as the RODE CLASSIC? Condenser Microphones
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

which microphones are similar in character as the RODE CLASSIC?

The first RODE classic - not II.

Which microphone(s) have a similar sound? I like my RODE but sometimes it decides to live its own life - so looking for something that has a similar character..

anyone?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perx View Post
The first RODE classic - not II.

Which microphone(s) have a similar sound? I like my RODE but sometimes it decides to live its own life - so looking for something that has a similar character..

anyone?
I like it sometimes indeed.

But if you need Classic's sound you should find original. Clones might be close, but only real thing is real thing.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

C12

You just said similar, right?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjan View Post
C12

You just said similar, right?

yeah.. similar as in "as close to the sound of the classic". ;-)

My current female singer sound really good through the Classic - but there is something wrong with the mic so it kinda works 50% of the time. So looking for something else that I can get that will get me almost same sound.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I agree with you the Classic sounds great on female.

Why not fixing yours?
Why not looking for another second-hand one?

Although not completelly untrue, I feel I should rectify my last post.
I actually find the C12 and the Classic very similar on male vocals... more than on female.

The following are not quite the same (I don't mean worse though), but they surely are fantastic for female vocals:

DPA 3541
Earth Works QTC-1
Blue Dragonfly

Perhaps the Dragonfly is the closest to the Classic in terms of character. I actually prefer it for lead singing compared to the other two I just mentioned... and it's cheaper.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjan View Post
I agree with you the Classic sounds great on female.

Why not fixing yours?
Why not looking for another second-hand one?

Although not completelly untrue, I feel I should rectify my last post.
I actually find the C12 and the Classic very similar on male vocals... more than on female.

The following are not quite the same (I don't mean worse though), but they surely are fantastic for female - in order of preference:

DPA 3541
Earth Works QTC-1
Blue Dragonfly

Perhaps the Dragonfly is the closest to the Classic in terms of character (I actually prefer it... and it's cheaper).
Im just trying out diffirent options. I will probably either get it fixed or buy a new one.. Depending on what the problem is - it can almost cost as much to fix it as I bought the classic for.. And I have not seen THAT many used ones for sale yet. But Im still checking that..

With this thread I thought I would see if there are any other mics that have a similar character as the classic - that I could buy and use. Its never a bad thing to add another mix to the collection.. ;-)

I will definitively check out the blue dragonfly.. Thanks for the tip.. :-)
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Let us know what you thought of the Dragonfly, if you get the chance to try it...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

How exactly is it not working???

If it is the original classic they had a faulty multicore cable and Rode will replace it for you .....

If it sounds like wind is going through it it has a moisture problem...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurubuzz View Post
How exactly is it not working???

If it is the original classic they had a faulty multicore cable and Rode will replace it for you .....

If it sounds like wind is going through it it has a moisture problem...

it is the original classic. I will contact RODE about the multicore cable. And YES - it kinda does sound like the wind is going through it (small cracks, etc)..

I did suspect that it could be moisture, so a few days ago I put it in a plastic bag, (with the bottom of the bag open) with lots of these silica bags in it.. Not sure if that will help.

Will send RODE an email now aswell..
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Rode Classic-not Classic 2

I have an original 'special run' Rode Classic. I also had problems with the mic working great and then for some unknown reason it would crackle, pop, and hiss. A friend of mine who works on tube gear and mics cleaned all the contact points, removed the tube and cleaned that as well. Now, it truly is the mic it is reputed to be. I am so very glad to have the Rode in my mic arsenal. I have replaced the cord in the past as well and since then I've had no problems with my microphone.
Old 1st September 2011
Rode replaced my faulty cable at no cost. The Classic is phenominal. So glad I got in on it when I did.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have one also and I agree - it really is a great mic and somewhat underrated and an unknown entity.

Sounds great on vocals but it's also one of the best acoustic guitar mics. If you set it up dead centre from the sound hole about 1 ft away - it sounds really really good. Very warm and organic mic.

Sure glad I own it too.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

if u like the rode classic, try the ntv. i have both and the ntv sounds fuller and has better lows. BUT, the classic is a great mic! havent used it in a while. might have to pull it out! just got the cable replaced and its waiting to be used!
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Forgot to answer original post..... I also think a c12 might be close but it's worth fixing if you like it.

I've tried the dragon fly & to my ears it wasn't as good as the Classic.

Mine needed a new multicore also & a tube replacement - it may just be maintenance time.
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Head

I bought Classic II the other day. It's a bright mic but not so in figure of eight mode. For my voice - perfect. Huge sounding mic. One of the best imho.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search