The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i am looking for copies of the mixerman diaries Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

i am looking for copies of the mixerman diaries

if any of you know where i can get ahold of new copies of the mixerman diaries let me know. i have tried all the usuall online places with no luck (amazon, addall, abebooks, ebay)

thanks
aaron
Old 17th August 2007
One with big hooves

'Ya gotta order it from Mixercrooks website.

It was 'self-published'... Never was in the stores.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

mixer<i>crook</i>?

the mixerman website doesnt sell the book anymore from the looks of it.
Old 17th August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fatso View Post
mixer<i>crook</i>?

the mixerman website doesnt sell the book anymore from the looks of it.
Mixerfreak?

lol

So he isn't selling the book anymore?!

BUMMER.

I loaned my copy out to the band I'm working with now...it made the rounds & went missing several weeks ago, I wanted to order another one...
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

yeah its a total bummer. and i am sure no real engineer wants to part with theirs. oh well i will keep looking at the online used sellers. thanks

aaron
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Why don't you go to his site and send him a PM. Maybe he still has some copies for sale.

The Womb - Powered by Electricity!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
'Ya gotta order it from Mixercrooks website.

It was 'self-published'... Never was in the stores.
I'm not quite sure if calling me "mixercook" is your idea of a joke or not, but I can tell you, I won't tolerate the insinuation that I've ever ripped anyone off in any capacity. I bend over backwards to make sure my clients and customers happy in all ventures, and you should retract this statement because it's not true and is therefore defamatory. I realize you don't particularly like me Jay, and I'm fine with that. But making false implications that could negatively affect my business are not fair game. The fact is, we've never done any direct business together, other than perhaps you purchasing my book, and my having it shipped to you. So, implying that I'm a "crook" is way out of line.

Now, as to the book, I am currently not selling the book. I sold 3000 hardbound copies and shipped them to destinations all over the world. I've been considering doing another run in paperback. As Jay pointed out, The Daily Adventures of Mixerman wasn't in stores. That's because I wanted to wholly retain the rights to the book (for reasons I won't get into here). At one point, I even turned down a publishing deal because it didn't fit with my plans at the time. Currently, however, I am considering seeking out a publisher to pick up the paperback rights, mostly because the amount of work involved with running my sideline book-selling business has not been commensurate with the return.

I'm also considering selling my Adventures as a secure pdf, which might be a much better way to go than the book since there is demand for it around the world, were it not $40 with shipping! Frankly, I would much prefer to sell it at an exceptionally reasonable price so that as many people as possible could enjoy it. A secure .pdf would have no material or shipping costs and might be the best way to distribute this particular title.

If anyone has ideas I'm all ears. The store has been closed longer than I had ever intended. Time flies.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

i'd be happy with a pdf. you have no idea how disapointed i was when i wasnt able to read anymore online

"thats it?! i have to buy the book? its not for sale?! what the hell!"
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fatso View Post
i'd be happy with a pdf. you have no idea how disapointed i was when i wasnt able to read anymore online

"thats it?! i have to buy the book? its not for sale?! what the hell!"
I'll spoil the ending for you. it was the Butler.

I was kind of disappointed when the continuation fo the book got cut off. Understandable that one would get too busy to have the time, but talk about leaving someone hanging! lol. But adding the new diaries (relative term) would be even more incentive for a PDF.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Just in case MM comes back to check this... what ever happened with the story and the continuation and all that?

I read the original story when you first started posting it on PSW, but then there was a huge delay and then I heard that you were "found out" and they made you stop writing it, then I heard that the producer told you to market the book and continue writing the stories and then I heard that you were going to start up again with a slightly different angle or something.

Anyway, my question is.... is the "Week 1 - Week 6" thing on your website the full story? Is the book the full story? Or is there more you have to hunt down to get all of the details? Basically, I'm looking for the source you can go to to find out all of the details from start to finish.

WATYF
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

I'm really pissed.

I bought 5 copies to give to clients and I had my very own (signed by the author) copy laying around the studio.

Guess how many I have now?

Damn musos!!!!!!

Great read. Actually dissuaded me from writing my own.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

A paperback would be ideal, but a pdf would do just fine...I gotta find out how it all ends!!!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Man I need to reread mine. That story is great.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Mixerman, thanks for chiming in.

Have you looked at this as a possible solution: Lulu.com - Self Publishing - Free ?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've been checking the site once in a while to see if you printed a second edition - thanks for letting us know what's going on, Mixerman. I would prefer the book but I would gladly buy a pdf if that's the way you decide to go.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

My wife bought me the book for christmas a few years ago. I've read it 20+ times now, and even she's read and loved it.

i've been wanting to pick up additional copies for friends (it's such a great story) and have been sad that that's been impossible for the last couple years.

i would definitely be in for several copies if there were a 2nd printing. Sounds like the demand is there!

cheers,
wade
Old 20th August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman View Post
I'm not quite sure if calling me "mixercook" is your idea of a joke or not, but I can tell you, I won't tolerate the insinuation that I've ever ripped anyone off in any capacity. I bend over backwards to make sure my clients and customers happy in all ventures, and you should retract this statement because it's not true and is therefore defamatory. I realize you don't particularly like me Jay, and I'm fine with that. But making false implications that could negatively affect my business are not fair game. The fact is, we've never done any direct business together, other than perhaps you purchasing my book, and my having it shipped to you. So, implying that I'm a "crook" is way out of line.

Errrrrrrr... uhhhhmmmm...

I'm not sure where or how you have the idea that 'I don't like you' since as you said, we've never done any direct business and have talked, what... maybe 2-3 times over the last several years? Whatever, that's best discussed somewhere other then a public forum such as this one...

As for the affectionate nickname of “Mixercrook”, it wasn't intended to be anything more, or less, then that. Could've been 'Mixergeek' or 'Mixerfreak' or, well... I sincerely hope you get the point. I likewise never intended, and am not sure how it could even really come across...that you "stole" the diary from someone or anything of the sort.

Unless you were a fly on the wall at a Don Was session...

(assumes Tricky Dick voice)

"I am NOT a crook!!!"

I'd love to see a second edition of the book too, I'm not sure a PDF would be as much fun... hard to read those at the airport or on a train... $40 shipped I think is pretty fair for a hard copy. Geez, it's really not hard to spend that much on a single book at Barnes & Noble or something... which reminds me!

When I first heard the book was out I went hunting around the bookstores for a copy. I'd end up talking to someone there to see if it was in the system or could be ordered...

"Authors name again?" (always with a puzzled look)

"M-I-X-E-R..."

HA!

Peace.

(edit = I've never met Don Was either)

Last edited by Jay Kahrs; 20th August 2007 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: clarity again!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I likewise never intended, and am not sure how it could even really come across...that you "stole" the diary from someone or anything of the sort.

Unless you were a fly on the wall at a Don Was session.
You're saying Mixerman lifted "Diaries" from a Don Was session??!!!

That sounds about right.

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

At least give us a pdf Mr. Mixerman. I seriously have clients that I feel need to read your book.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Id buy it. Dying to know the ending.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Huh. I was wondering why I couldn't buy it. You can learn a lot at Gearslutz!

heh
Old 21st August 2007
Aren't there custom paperback services that simply MAKE a book each time one is ordered?

I looked it up - "Print on demand" it's called.

That might be a good temporary / short term solution?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Aren't there custom paperback services that simply MAKE a book each time one is ordered?

I looked it up - "Print on demand" it's called.

That might be a good temporary / short term solution?
For an example look up about nine posts.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Errrrrrrr... uhhhhmmmm...

I'm not sure where or how you have the idea that 'I don't like you' since as you said, we've never done any direct business and have talked, what... maybe 2-3 times over the last several years? Whatever, that's best discussed somewhere other then a public forum such as this one...

As for the affectionate nickname of “Mixercrook”, it wasn't intended to be anything more, or less, then that. Could've been 'Mixergeek' or 'Mixerfreak' or, well... I sincerely hope you get the point. I likewise never intended, and am not sure how it could even really come across...that you "stole" the diary from someone or anything of the sort.

Unless you were a fly on the wall at a Don Was session...

(assumes Tricky Dick voice)

"I am NOT a crook!!!"

I'd love to see a second edition of the book too, I'm not sure a PDF would be as much fun... hard to read those at the airport or on a train... $40 shipped I think is pretty fair for a hard copy. Geez, it's really not hard to spend that much on a single book at Barnes & Noble or something... which reminds me!

When I first heard the book was out I went hunting around the bookstores for a copy. I'd end up talking to someone there to see if it was in the system or could be ordered...

"Authors name again?" (always with a puzzled look)

"M-I-X-E-R..."

HA!

Peace.

(edit = I've never met Don Was either)
Dude what is your problem? I saw your site, nice.... you seem to be a fairly accomplished AE, but do you know who mixerman is? or heard his work?
If you did you might not be talking trash about him......

BTW I would love a paperback of the mixerman diaries, I would like to read more about cotton!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
Dude what is your problem? I saw your site, nice.... you seem to be a fairly accomplished AE, but do you know who mixerman is? or heard his work?

BTW I would love a paperback of the mixerman diaries, I would like to read more about cotton!
I am not disagreeing with you and I too thought it sounded kind of rude to call him mixercrook.

But I also think it's kinda funny (in the haha way) when you made the comment about knowing who he is. The Irony being in that he makes himself anonymous and unless someone knows him personally, they have no way of knowing his work or anything about him or any way of verifying anything as being true. he could be a complete fraud for all anyone outside of his circles knows. That's the downside of being anonymous, just as clients hearing someone talking about things that would embarrass them is the down side of not being anonymous.

The person I lent my book to can't find it, so I too wouldn't mind being able to buy another. And the beauty of the book is one need not be an engineer to enjoy it.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
do you know who mixerman is? or heard his work?
Thanks for the laugh!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I do know who he is, but I respect his wishes to be anonymous.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

there is upside and downside to being anonymous for sure.

there is the professional limitation that would limit engaging in water cooler talk - thus inhibiting scraps of juicy tidbits.....that's no fun....

it also affords the poster to behave much more badly.....and these throwdowns can be quite satisfying seeing the appetite around here for a good personal victory. for all the sh*t people in this business can take, its nice to be able to speak your mind here when one is biting their lip all week...and if done right it won't necessarily affect your business.

the rumor mills and throwdowns are becoming more important as we work more and more in isolation.

strictly professional would be klaus heyne's forum, which while quite good it misses the number of eyeballs. while less misinformation, also less of a "community" (that loves a throwdown!)
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

I've always assumed he was legit, but his response to that "insult" makes me wonder... A real bigshot wouldn't even notice such a small comment, let alone take the time to respond to it. Hmmmm....
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by confooshus View Post
I've always assumed he was legit, but his response to that "insult" makes me wonder... A real bigshot wouldn't even notice such a small comment, let alone take the time to respond to it. Hmmmm....
not necessarily true. he has recorded his voice so anyone who has met him knows exactly who he is. it is a rather distinctive voice if you recall.

however liebel is liebel. its one thing to insult someone for joking around sake, but slandering someone untruthfully is in fact illegal in the U.S. and many have been successfully litigated against this - even online. bloggers, tabloids, you name it.

if you're going to drag someone through the mud you should be pretty much stick to facts ....otherwise you could be hearing from a lawyer.

moral of the story is if you want to slander do it with someone across the pond..heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search