The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves API 2 months later Control Surfaces
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Waves API 2 months later

So, here we are 2 months after the release, what are you guys thinking of them?
Old 17th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
So, here we are 2 months after the release, what are you guys thinking of them?
The same thing I thought two months ago. heh

They're still good... nothing has changed.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Still love them, more than any plug in I've ever used.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

still hate Waves..still will in another 2months
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

they are awesome ...
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

still love 'em!
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

no regrets over here.
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

API 2500 Comp

The comp is my absolute FAVORITE software comp and I own the Waves SSL and all of the UAD comps.

The EQ's aren't too shabby either

-Brian.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Do these plugs play well with Sonar and Cubase?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

can any of you guys run the same signal through the API EQs and/or comp and the V series or SSL. with same parameters and upload some files? blind A/B maybe. i wanna hear some of the difrence between them.

also, are they CPU hogs?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Just tryng to find out if shiney new toy syndrome wore off. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Relates question

Ok...I have the choice of getting the Waves SSL bundle or the API. SINCE I already have actual API EQs in my rack, I was leaning towards the SSL plugs.

Opinions?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I dont think the SSL are worth it
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsabq View Post
The comp is my absolute FAVORITE software comp and I own the Waves SSL and all of the UAD comps.
waves "owns" them. you merely license them..
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

BUY A REAL Freaking API. It will be YOURS and it will still work 5 years from now. AND if you are in a tough place 5 years from now chances are you can get almost 100% of your money back out of it. Try that with yor outdated waves software which you would have had to pay your wup fee AND upgrades. You factor all that in and it makes MUCH more senese to buy the real thing. NOT to mention the hardware always sounds a whole heck of alot better
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
BUY A REAL Freaking API. It will be YOURS and it will still work 5 years from now. AND if you are in a tough place 5 years from now chances are you can get almost 100% of your money back out of it. Try that with yor outdated waves software which you would have had to pay your wup fee AND upgrades. You factor all that in and it makes MUCH more senese to buy the real thing. NOT to mention the hardware always sounds a whole heck of alot better
no **** - The word software and investment is an oxymoron
hardware conquers all
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have absolutely no doubt that a real piece of API hardware is gonna
be better than a plug in, but as far as plug ins go, the new Waves stuff
is the best I've ever tried. Between it and the SSL plug, I haven't really
touched any of my other plug ins lately. If I have to shell out more money
every year, so be it. I'm done buying plugs for a while. Next is a
real 2500 comp and a lunchbox.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes but mine goes to 11
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
yes but mine goes to 11
HUH? yeah well your software is going to be worth 10 cents in 10 years
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
yes but mine goes to 11
Haha. Spinal Tap... classic.

Some guys benefit from plugs. Helps 'em move up the food chain so they can actually afford hardware. Plugs aren't for every situation, but for some they are a good fit.
WUP on the other hand... worst business model ever.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
yea, but what do you do when you spent all your cash on a lunchbox and a channel or two of EQ/compression...and you want to use your API's on kick, snare, toms, and guitars?

while i have much respect for those who prefer to use hardware, it's MUCH more cost-effective to get the plugs, if only because you can run as many instances as your CPU is willing to handle.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter View Post
Ok...I have the choice of getting the Waves SSL bundle or the API. SINCE I already have actual API EQs in my rack, I was leaning towards the SSL plugs.

Opinions?
I am in the same boat, let's hear some more opinions.
Old 19th August 2007

Quote:
yeah well your software is going to be worth 10 cents in 10 years
It's quite possible... But, if it allows you to get work done efficiently for the next ten years, then it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 View Post
I am in the same boat, let's hear some more opinions.
For people who already have some API hardware, I would encourage them to check out the SSL & V series plugins and also the URS Channel Strip Pro... It will give you a good contrast. Although, I personally own all of them and find myself going for the Strip Pro, the SSL, and then the API and V series... it might be for the simple fact that the API & V series are limited in the same way the hardware is, and because I already have those same hardware pieces I don't use the plugins so much.
Old 19th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironklad Audio View Post
yea, but what do you do when you spent all your cash on a lunchbox and a channel or two of EQ/compression...and you want to use your API's on kick, snare, toms, and guitars?
overdub the GTRs

use your best channel on the room mic of the drums, then maybe OHs or kick/snare, then prioritize down from there. it really dependson what drum sound youre going for and which of these groups is more of your sound. for me it's the room so that's where i go first... close mics aren't really that important because i can get power & impact out of just about anything.

analog will give you something the plugs will not. i stand by the 90% rule for recording digitally: get 90% of your sound before it hits the A/D.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
no **** - The word software and investment is an oxymoron
hardware conquers all
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hello folks -
I'm an owner of both the API 5500 and 2500 - and if someone provided some tracks I would be glad to run these through them using whatever settings you wish - while someone with the Waves plugins can do the same.

I'd be glad to host the resulting files on my website also, so that we can do a blind a/b.

PM me at steve at totalsonic dot net if you are Waves API plugin owner with some tracks that you can upload to me, and I'd be glad to help out to so we can post some blind a/b's.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Of course the software isn't the same as the hardware but the real question is 'is it any good?' regardless of the fancy graphics. I think they are. Along with UAD and the Sonnox bundle I think the Waves API bundle is as good as plugins get at the moment. BTW, could someone explain to me the problem with WUP? I'm guessing it stands for waves update plan but beyond that I honestly don't know what it is despite owning several Waves bundles.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=TonyBelmont;1445466]It's quite possible... But, if it allows you to get work done efficiently for the next ten years, then it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
QUOTE]

yes but wouldnt it be nice if it worked well for you now and DIDN't become worthless in a few years. I am just being a prickheh
Old 20th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
HUH? yeah well your software is going to be worth 10 cents in 10 years
LOL, tell that to the guys who bought SSL consoles years ago that are worth a fraction of their former value.

Anyone who's more concerned with how much their gear (software or hardware) is going to hold its value, as opposed to whether it does the job they need it to do is an amateur.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have an API 5500, and the API plugs, and I have used the hardware version of the compressor a good bit as well.

I would have to say these plugs are wonderful. A VERY close 2nd to the quality of the UAD-1 emulations. I don't think anyone has quite equalled UAD-1's authenticity... but the API plugs are very, very close.

I like the URS stuff too though. Very, very good, and very low latency and cpu load. They sound slightly different than the Waves ones... and so they are great as a slightly different color.

Lot's and lot's of really good plugs out there these days. Still nothing beats the hardware tho....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search