The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves API 2 months later Control Surfaces
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

It may be, but if you can turn a $500 into a ton of cash now, it paid for itself and made profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
HUH? yeah well your software is going to be worth 10 cents in 10 years
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Anyone who's more concerned with how much their gear (software or hardware) is going to hold its value, as opposed to whether it does the job they need it to do is an amateur.
Wow. That's a really dumb statement.

Though I would agree that fiscal common sense is staggeringly uncommon at all levels of the music industry...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL, tell that to the guys who bought SSL consoles years ago that are worth a fraction of their former value.

Anyone who's more concerned with how much their gear (software or hardware) is going to hold its value, as opposed to whether it does the job they need it to do is an amateur.
Do you make music for a living? I do. Therefor wether you like it or not I am a PROFESSIONAL and have been for 12 yrs
Old 20th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax View Post
Wow. That's a really dumb statement.

Though I would agree that fiscal common sense is staggeringly uncommon at all levels of the music industry...
Sorry to disappoint you, but it's not dumb at all. If you're a working professional, you buy gear first and foremost because it helps you do the work you need to do, NOT because of its resale value. And if you're a working professional, you know that the gear will pay for itself with the work that you do. If it's worth anything years later after it's long since paid for itself, well, that's just gravy.

The only people I've known who placed any kind of priority on gear value retention or resale value have been semi-pros or hobbyists. At least that's what I've seen.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
Two months....

Time for a paid upgrade.....
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only people I've known who placed any kind of priority on gear value retention or resale value have been semi-pros or hobbyists. At least that's what I've seen.
OR a smart business man
Old 20th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Do you make music for a living? I do. Therefor wether you like it or not I am a PROFESSIONAL and have been for 12 yrs
Yep, been a working professional for 15 years. And not once have I ever made a gear purchase worrying about what it would be worth in 5 or 10 years time. The only consideration has been, "will this help me achieve the results I need NOW".

As one professional to another, may I suggest that if you're looking for something to "invest" your money in to retain its value, try looking at bonds, or maybe some precious metals.
Old 20th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
OR a smart business man
NOPE. All the smart business men I've known in this business made gear purchase decisions based on whether the gear would result in work that would justify the purchase.

But I guess all the guys who bought SSL consoles for $300K that are now worth $40k weren't smart business men, right?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
NOPE. All the smart business men I've known in this business made gear purchase decisions based on whether the gear would result in work that would justify the purchase.

OK you win Mr know it all. I know nothing.
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:

But I guess all the guys who bought SSL consoles for $300K that are now worth $40k weren't smart business men, right?
Quote:
In the end, this quickly becomes a senseless argument.... because you can't buy ANYTHING from API for what this plugin costs....

It's a plugin and it's future value should be judged and compared to other plugins... not against hardware that it is modeled after.
Old 20th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
I never said you know nothing, I'm simply suggesting that if you make gear purchase decisions primarily based on its possible future resale value, you're focusing on the wrong aspect, that's all.

Again, there are lots of guys who bought SSL consoles or DASH machines that are worth fractions of what they once were, yet you probably won't find many who say they regretted the decision when they look back on it.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
In the end, this quickly becomes a senseless argument.... because you can't buy ANYTHING from API for what this plugin costs....

It's a plugin and should be judged and compared to other plugins... not against hardware that it is modeled after.
agreedthumbsup
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I never said you know nothing, I'm simply suggesting that if you make gear purchase decisions primarily based on its possible future resale value, you're focusing on the wrong aspect, that's all.

Again, there are lots of guys who bought SSL consoles or DASH machines that are worth fractions of what they once were, yet you probably won't find many who say they regretted the decision when they look back on it.
I didn't ever intended to say that resale value should be your sole reason for purchases..but it crosses my mind when I drop alot of coin.
Old 20th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
I didn't ever intended to say that resale value should be your sole reason for purchases..but it crosses my mind when I drop alot of coin.
OK, fair enough.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
HUH? yeah well your software is going to be worth 10 cents in 10 years
but who buys tools to say "in 10 years ima sell it". I buy tools to work NOW!

Those in the DAW environment buy plugs.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethdk View Post
but who buys tools to say "in 10 years ima sell it". I buy tools to work NOW!

Those in the DAW environment buy plugs.
yes...yes ...true..I am gonna back outta this nowheh
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

(self-censored)

Last edited by six_wax; 20th August 2007 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: Nevermind. Not worth the effort...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Waves API Collection Native $750

API 500 Mic/Line Pre $675
API 500 10 Band Graphic EQ, Re-issue $675
API Discrete Compressor $590.75
6 slot Lunchbox with 48V and internal power supply $399
API Discrete Mic Pre $590.75
API Discrete DI Module $552.50
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post

Let me re-phrase, you can't buy anything from API for the price that I sell the plugins for.... Unless an empty lunchbox interests you. heh
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let me re-phrase, you can't buy anything from API for the price that I sell the plugins for.... Unless an empty lunchbox interests you. heh
API Audio 2B1 200 Series Blank panel, 1 slot $18

just messin with ya!
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
API Audio 2B1 200 Series Blank panel, 1 slot $18

just messin with ya!
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

I've had the API bundle for a month and a half and I love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. I don't love Waves as a company, but in the end I was blown away by the sound of these, so I plunked down. I have been using them a LOT. I didn't touch my URS '550b' for a month, but now I'm rediscovering it (sometimes the 2db steps are a bit too much).

I've found the 2500 to be a great bus comp when I'm mixing ITB. On some songs it has sounded way better that the UAD 33609 (and is much more versatile).

It took me a little while to get around to using the 560 much, but it sounds GREAT as well.

And this from a guy with 4 550b's and 2 560's (the real ones)
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

How about a shootout?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclash View Post

And this from a guy with 4 550b's and 2 560's (the real ones)
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
How about a shootout?
If I have some time in the next few days I'll put something together.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

I used the API bundle for the first time this weekend and holy crap it sounds amazing. I don't have hardware API to compare it to in the studio but the compressor does what I remember it doing!

Unfortunately, they aren't mine. Now I need to have these.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclash View Post
If I have some time in the next few days I'll put something together.
that would be awesome
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear
just fired up API for the 1st time after hassling with the authorizer for days but waves support finally got it going.

don't have the hardware but i was very impressed by the EQs and comp. 2.5 K on the 550B hit the spot immediately on a female voice i was working on, and the comp blew me away. i may very well have 'shiny new box' syndrome but so far... heh

do have real 1084s so i'll compare with the V stuff when i get a chance. at this point in time i have to say price of admittance is very worth it. btw thanks tony.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Only problem here Ronan is that you can use the API plug-in eq 50 times(Instances on a mix) , which effectively will make it worth about $10 to the one instance you could use it's hardware counterpart ! Just sayin is all heh
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Only problem here Ronan is that you can use the API plug-in eq 50 times(Instances on a mix) , which effectively will make it worth about $10 to the one instance you could use it's hardware counterpart ! Just sayin is all heh
i agree.

call me crazy, but i think that workflow is king. if the stuff works, use it. it just doesn't make sense (TO ME) to mess w/ recalling hardware if there's a viable software option that works.

You can definitely argue that hardware sounds better, but will it make your work sound better?

In my case, sometimes. i have a few key hardware pieces around that get a fair amount of use, but to me, printing all of your tracks through 1 nice eq or comp is a major disruption of work flow. if i focus on one thing too long, or the mix takes too long, i lose perspective and the mix goes to ****e.

whatever works for you. trying to convince someone to work YOUR way is a waste of time (unless you're paying them of course).
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Whats the cost for the WUP on the API bundle again?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search