The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please criticize my song and production! Condenser Microphones
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Please criticize my song and production!

Dear slutz,

i just finished a project for a 22 girl named "Marlene",and this is one of the songs that ended up in the album.I'd like to hear your opinion on the sound and production.
It's in spanish,by the way,and the song is called "salvame" (Save me).

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

thanks and best regards,
Sal.
Attached Files

06 salvame.mp3 (3.92 MB, 955 views)

Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

seems very hot above 7k...........

overall song and arrangement is nice

How about improving the lows and mids....FWIW..

Dave
Old 17th August 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbluefield View Post

Dave

Agreed
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

IMO, that snare sound is destroying the entire vibe of the tune.
It's the wrong pitch for the key she is singing in.
Her vocal should also have been pitched/tuned.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

+1 for that. Has too much sizzle.

Seems like everything has a hi-pass on it to. The lows are there, but the no real focus. Try and find a seperate low-mid focus to bring back in for each instrument. I suspect that involves taming back alot of the highs you added.

What mic did you use for the lead vocal? It's sounds kinda tinny and toasty. It wasn't a C12 VR was it? I've heard that mic sound kinda like that. Add "air" to it and it sounds a lot like what you recorded. What did the vocal sound like raw? There are mic's to be chosen that need virtually no EQ. Sometimes we see a "female" vocal and just go thru the motions and hi-pass it, add butt loads of air ect..

Watch the guitar's intonation when recording... There's a sour chord at 1:28 at the bridge. Unless you can get the guitar player back, or there's another take to comp in, it's there forever... it's a sour chord in an otherwise polished tuned.

The cymbals are EQ'd too high across all of them. The ride kinda stings my ears over reference monitors. It's not it's volume, but EQ balance. You got a C4 for that guy?

Try to A/B to some references WHILE you make adjustments. Listen to some old nicely balanced acoustic/rock work. Beatles, Pink Floyd, older stuff that isn't "broken" still today. It's not necessary to add so much "air" to everything. Try low-passing something for a change. And try to make your adjustments without soloing anything. Your real close to some great balances. I think the piano is playing the whole time, but it disapears... It's a balance issue. The high mids are overly present, and I loose instruments here and there. The guitar attacks and cymbals get a little blurred.

Yada yada yada, this is all subjective!

Great tune tho! Can you please post the translation for the lyrics?
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

I agree that the snare sound wrong (IMO) for the song. also the verb on the snare is a little heavy handed, and the snare sounds a little late to me - as if it's all reverb return.

Also agree that the overall eq is too bright. Hope this helps.

good luck - Dave Darling
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Hey Guys thanks for your replies .
The voice was recorded with a Neumann tlm103,it won hands down on her specific voice over a blue mouse,at4033 and at4050.
Can't afford an hd yet,so I used my 002 with a presonus m80 on drums,u5 on bass,marshall cabinets,421 on toms and guitar,i5 and sm57 on snare,rode nt4 for o.h.
keys were reason.Edax pre on vocals.
We mixed through a soundcraft analog dc2020,using waves plugs and through the finalizer wizard...

tried to post a pic but was kinda heavy,I'll search for one later on.

Thanks!
Sal.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbluefield View Post

Dave
I have to agree

Very bright on the very top. Id say 10k ish.

Doesnt seem to have a lot of sub low on the kick. Snare seems a little thin as well. Probably right about the snare sound itself not being quite right. Maybe replace it or mix replace it with a deeper snare sound.

It has a digital quality to it. What kind of system was it recorded on? The high end might be making it sound not so warm.

Vocals are nice and clear. I think once the eq's are fixed everything will probably be warmer.

Pitch sounds natural to me. Id leave it. You can tune it but do it lightly with melodyne. Dont want it to sound to tuned though.

You can definatly work with this mix and make it sound good though. Few tweaks and your there.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Criticize your mix?

Ok- your mix is lousy in bed, never takes out the garbage and smells like fish.

Or did you mean 'critique'?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Criticize your mix?

Ok- your mix is lousy in bed, never takes out the garbage and smells like fish.

Or did you mean 'critique'?
yeah, and it has small tits.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

I'm hearing High end harshness. Hurts my ears. Could be my computer speakers.. and my hangover.
But yeah... too sizzly. ouch!

Same sound you get when saying "tssss"
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofa View Post
Dear slutz,

i just finished a project for a 22 girl named "Marlene",and this is one of the songs that ended up in the album.I'd like to hear your opinion on the sound and production.
It's in spanish,by the way,and the song is called "salvame" (Save me).

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

thanks and best regards,
Sal.
Sal, nice work! To improve from here, A-B a lot more than you do today. Not just between your music and other commercial mixers' music, but also between your music in different mixes. Focus a lot more on the musical things about the sound of your mixes. Sometimes EQ effects can distort the focus. Think about mixing, in a different way. As a mixer you're a musician joining the band, mixing is used to take the arrangement musically to where it needs to go, rather than taking frequencies to where they need to go. That's a very important difference and it sounds differently too. There's a huge difference between mixing and mastering in the sense that when you mix you need to be a musician or better put: think like a musician. When you master you need to be a listener. But as engineers we are constantly dealing with music experience qualities. The whole studio is a musical instrument.

I have read a lot of mixing books, but it takes the best ones before you get in touch with these aspects of recording.

Get a clear understanding of what you like and what you don't like about different sounds. That creates character which is extremely important in artistic material. For instance, if you, just like me, happen to love soft kick drums, then don't end up with a mix that doesn't have that quality.

Good luck!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Looking beyond the eq ... what direction do you want to take this? Are you looking for a modern, punchy, Shakira type thing, or a mellow vintage '70's type thing?

For a modern sound, I think you need to work on tightening up the timing, tuning and dynamics. Maybe use more layering for bigger width and depth. Unforunately that tends to mean using all the tricks that your competitors will be using: autotune/melodyne, snapping to a grid, sample replace/augment, hundreds of tracks.

Maybe try mixing in a hyper-compressed whisper vocal track. I think the trick with any lead vocal is to find a signature sound that flatters the voice the most and work it. That could lead you to surprising mic and gear choices - not always big brand name stuff. Don't rule out dynamic mics.

For a more modern sound I would also try to work in more mix changes and effects at regular intervals, for the Attention Deficit generation.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
Looking beyond the eq ... what direction do you want to take this? Are you looking for a modern, punchy, Shakira type thing, or a mellow vintage '70's type thing?

For a modern sound, I think you need to work on tightening up the timing, tuning and dynamics. Maybe use more layering for bigger width and depth. Unforunately that tends to mean using all the tricks that your competitors will be using: autotune/melodyne, snapping to a grid, sample replace/augment, hundreds of tracks.

Maybe try mixing in a hyper-compressed whisper vocal track. I think the trick with any lead vocal is to find a signature sound that flatters the voice the most and work it. That could lead you to surprising mic and gear choices - not always big brand name stuff. Don't rule out dynamic mics.

For a more modern sound I would also try to work in more mix changes and effects at regular intervals, for the Attention Deficit generation.
Kiwiburger, nice advice! I agree.

I think autotuning/quantization and other types of perfection tools are a bit nasty when it comes to the ever-important aspect "emotions". I am currently practising these parameters a lot, what seems to work great is sample editing, that seems to work a bit better than when you impact on the timing. Sloppy timing can sometimes, in the right context, be pretty awesome. What seems to work best with these tools is to modify only as much as necessary.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search