The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
XLR switch for switching between monitors? Help. Monitor Controllers
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

XLR switch for switching between monitors? Help.

I need to switch between 2 sets of monitors, both active. So, I'm looking for an XLR A/B switch that will take a pair of inputs and will allow me to select among at least two pairs of outputs. I don't need anything with volume control. As few components in the signal path as possible. Seems simple, but I can't find anything.

What are you folks using?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Coleman Audio M3PH MKII
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the leads. Doesn't anyone make just an A/B switch without the level control?

I already have an ATTY2'D for that and I don't want to pay for the extra features. Plus, with the ATTY2'D I can set a different level for each set of monitors. It helps with A/Bing sources.
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
Thanks for the leads. Doesn't anyone make just an A/B switch without the level control?

I already have an ATTY2'D for that and I don't want to pay for the extra features. Plus, with the ATTY2'D I can set a different level for each set of monitors. It helps with A/Bing sources.

Hi
As far as I know the Coleman does not have a level control . I have one (I'm not in the studio so I don't remember the exact model) and it is actually an A/B/C speaker switcher with minimal path. The only problem for you it might be that it has balanced 1/4" jacks and not XLR ins-outs.
I made my own (Mogami) XLR female to 1/4" jack cables and everything is fine .
Old 17th August 2007
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
I need something like this but the other way around. 1 input pair, 2 output pairs.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonus View Post
Hi
As far as I know the Coleman does not have a level control . I have one (I'm not in the studio so I don't remember the exact model) and it is actually an A/B/C speaker switcher with minimal path. The only problem for you it might be that it has balanced 1/4" jacks and not XLR ins-outs.
I made my own (Mogami) XLR female to 1/4" jack cables and everything is fine .
I saw the level control for the headphone amp and assumed it was for the monitors. Anyway, sounds nice, but the price is too high. The headphone amp probably adds to the expense. I should have specified I'm looking for something under $200. It doesn't seem like too much to ask for a simple passive switchbox.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need something like this but the other way around. 1 input pair, 2 output pairs.
Yeah. Mine is set up 1 in and 2 out. I leave the remaining 2 sets open. There are buttons to activate each set. It's around the size of a whirlwind DI. Perhaps they make a smaller one 1x2?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Yeah. Mine is set up 1 in and 2 out. I leave the remaining 2 sets open. There are buttons to activate each set. It's around the size of a whirlwind DI. Perhaps they make a smaller one 1x2?
The link you posted said 4 inputs, 1 output. So, you just use it in reverse, 1 output, 4 inputs and it works ok? Do you use male-male and female-female XLR cables? If it works that'd be what I need.
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
I saw the level control for the headphone amp and assumed it was for the monitors. Anyway, sounds nice, but the price is too high. The headphone amp probably adds to the expense. I should have specified I'm looking for something under $200. It doesn't seem like too much to ask for a simple passive switchbox.
I'm talking about this one (LS-3) :
Coleman Audio LS3 - Line Level Selector | VintageKing.com

George.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear
Pro Co Switch Witch
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Switch Witch under the Cinema Display.
Attached Thumbnails
XLR switch for switching between monitors?  Help.-switchwitch.jpg  
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The link you posted said 4 inputs, 1 output. So, you just use it in reverse, 1 output, 4 inputs and it works ok? Do you use male-male and female-female XLR cables? If it works that'd be what I need.
Perhaps it's just semantics? If I recall I have my Genelec 7060 sub (managing my main system)
with female XLRs connected to the male XLR slots on the "out" of the box.
I then have 2 other sets of speakers with their male XLRs connected to the female "ins" on the box. When I want to audition a different set of speakers I merely push in the associated button.
I think I stated that correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
XLR switch for switching between monitors?  Help.-yhst-43078293634554_1961_29535235.jpg  
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the quick responses guys.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonus View Post
I'm talking about this one (LS-3) :
Coleman Audio LS3 - Line Level Selector | VintageKing.com

George.
Aha. Forgot about the LS-3, that looks like your best choice. Or you could try DIY by getting a 6PDT switch like these:
Digi-Key Part Search
but by the time you also get an enclosure and XLRs and wire it all up I bet the Coleman is the better deal anyway.

DP

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search