The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sennheiser 421 Grill Repair
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Sennheiser 421 Grill Repair

I've got a couple of 421-U5's that I am wanting to repair the grills on. They have been hit a few too many times by drummers with bad aim. Anybody have any idea how difficult it is to pull these mics apart and correct this problem?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Remove the metal plate near the XLR connector, and take the screw underneath out. The XLR connector assembly pops out. If you look inside, you see a glob of silicone inside the end of the cavity. If you cut that glob away, you'll find a 7mm bolt, which, when removed, lets the mike come apart.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

What "metal plate" are you talking about? Is it the plate that has the model# and serial# on it?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
What "metal plate" are you talking about? Is it the plate that has the model# and serial# on it?
Yes.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict
Most of mine are banged up beyond recognition, but still sound great. Its only cosmetic.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaqu View Post
Most of mine are banged up beyond recognition, but still sound great. Its only cosmetic.
Yeah, I know. I'm actually thinking about selling mine and figured I'd get a better return if they looked a bit nicer. Your right though, they do sound amazing.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Remove the metal plate near the XLR connector, and take the screw underneath out. The XLR connector assembly pops out. If you look inside, you see a glob of silicone inside the end of the cavity. If you cut that glob away, you'll find a 7mm bolt, which, when removed, lets the mike come apart.
When reassembling the microphone, do I need to replace that "glob" of silicone? If so, do I just stuff the old silicone back in or do I need to squirt a new glob in?
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Nut

J were you able to repair the grill on the U5? I know this is super old but maybe you will see this.......
I have 4 that need grill replacement and i took mine apart and cant seem to see a way to just simply replace the grill.
so were you successful?
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH View Post
J were you able to repair the grill on the U5? I know this is super old but maybe you will see this.......
I have 4 that need grill replacement and i took mine apart and cant seem to see a way to just simply replace the grill.
so were you successful?
The grill is easily replaceable, but you have to dismantle the mic.

The main access screw is behind the serial number plate in the slot for the swivel mount.

Removing this enables you to slide out the connector with bass roll-off.

You will have to unsolder this, so make sure you remember where each wire goes.

You can then remove the nut on the tube that holds the capsule in, which you rove from the front.

The grill is held onto the capsule by four screws.

You will need Elastosil 07, or similar, silicon rubber compound to seal the hole where the wires pass to avoid changes in frequency response.

I do have the 2-page service manual on PDF if needed.
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Nut

John, thanx a lot.
I see the big silcon glob you are talking about removing it is really a pain.
Two other quick questions. I found literally one website that has a 421 grill.

Sennheiser Replacement Grill f. MD 421 - Thomann UK Cyberstore

i wonder if this will work for the U5 since there have been numerous versions of this mic. Were all the grill attachments the same?

Also do you know of a place that does these replacements and maybe repairs in the USA? Not trying to sound lazy but I am slammed all the time and dont feel like taking 4 of these apart to replace grills and also one needs repair as well. I called sennheiser and they were of no help. they dont make the grills anymore and had no input on where to get any.

Thanx again.
Old 24th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH View Post
John, thanx a lot.
I see the big silcon glob you are talking about removing it is really a pain.
Two other quick questions. I found literally one website that has a 421 grill.

Sennheiser Replacement Grill f. MD 421 - Thomann UK Cyberstore

i wonder if this will work for the U5 since there have been numerous versions of this mic. Were all the grill attachments the same?

Also do you know of a place that does these replacements and maybe repairs in the USA? Not trying to sound lazy but I am slammed all the time and dont feel like taking 4 of these apart to replace grills and also one needs repair as well. I called sennheiser and they were of no help. they dont make the grills anymore and had no input on where to get any.

Thanx again.
I know this is old but I just repaired the grills on a MD421 U5 version after buying a replacement "sound input basket" from Sennheiser. The entire assembly does NOT fit the old U5 model. However you can carefully pry out the inner and outer grills from the new basket and use them in the old one! It takes a bit of cleaning the channels in the od basket to get rid of the glue. I replace both halves. On the first half I also cleaned up all the black adhesive from the edge of the inner and outer grill. That actually made it MORE difficult to get them into the channel of the old basket. But I managed to do it. For the other half, I left the black adhesive in place and the grills seated a LOT easier. Some of the adhesive stuck out and was visible, but an exacto cleaned that up. From the inside, I added a spot of glue at the front and rear corners where the grill sits in the channels.

Now my old, no ancient, 421 looks much nicer!

Hope this helps someone else out.

Gary
Old 25th July 2014
Old 25th July 2014
Here for the gear

That is the new "basket" and does not fit the olde models. It is the exact one I took apart so I could use the screens to repair my older MD421.

Gary
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Addict

I took mine apart and after a few searches I found an old chair in my basement that had similar curve and shape to the 421 grill. Just used that to shape it back into form using a Mallot. Then a little shot of matte black auto paint. It's not perfect, but who wants an old mic with a perfect grill anyways.

Anything you can find to help mold it back into place, then the fix is free.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search