The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend me a Pro-tools alternative... DAW Software
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Recommend me a Pro-tools alternative...

Hi,

I'm currently using Pro-tools LE (002R) with Lynx Aurora converters on ADAt, mixing with Logic (with 2 Lynx aurora 16s, on a console, once PCIe is out...).

I'm looking for other DAW options, on a Mac, to track to... I've tried tracking sessions in Logic and obviously YMMV but I can't stand it for that purpose (I hate the 'folders' and lack of playlisting or PT style editing). Not too worried about mixing, as I like logic for that; I'm just wanting something that could replace Pro-tools for tracking and editing so that I can use more than 8 simultaneous Lynx inputs without getting Pt-HD (not really a cost effective option...).

Most interested in simple interface, and pt-style editing....
any options to recommend me???

Iain
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

bump

anyone?
are you all telling me there's nothing that could rival pro-tools software for easy tracking and editing??! (intentionally inflammitory to get a response!! )
Old 17th August 2007
Sonar 6 Producer Edition
Reaper

diamondjim
Barn Jazz Home
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Nuendo/Cubase
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I used to use Cubase. It worked/works well. But ever since I went to Pro Tools, I'm not looking back!
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

i have been a cubase/nuendo user since i first started recording (about 5 years ago). i do have Pro Tools M-powered in my studio which i have used on occassion when clients bring me PT files to mix. I can see why many people prefer pro tools because there are many different upsides to it (sidechaining, flexible routing, etc...). However, i just feel comfortable doing work in nuendo because it just feels more natural to me. Plus, you're not as limited in terms of track count.
I think you should really just sit down with another program and see how it fits into your workflow. also, have you thought about getting something like the profire lightbridge and using PTMP? you'd definitely be able to get more than 8 tracks simultaneously and perhaps use it w/ a different sequencing software as well.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I suggest Cubase 4 or you could look at DP
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoppenheffer View Post
I used to use Cubase. It worked/works well. But ever since I went to Pro Tools, I'm not looking back!
Have to side with you on this one. Got HD3 and yes it was expensive but oh so killer.

Theres really nothing out there like Protools. Its the best program in my opinion for tracking and editing. I never liked the grid in Nuendo. Maybe they changed it by now. Havent tried it in awhile.

One thing with nuendo though is it sounds really good. I like the way mixes sound out of it. I know a lot of people that work on nuendo. If I had to make a second choice I would say Nuendo.
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
Sonar 6 Producer Edition
Reaper

diamondjim
Barn Jazz Home
He's on a Mac.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

thanks all so far...

Looks like Nuendo or DP would be my only options... or of course if the fabled Logic 8 turned up and was any good then would be good to stick with what I know...

To clarify again, I would be mixing OTB on Raindirk Series 3, so not to worried about 'good sounding summing' or mix power - anyway I do really like Logic for mixing, it fits for me...

Anyone who's used nuendo or DP, I've tried to look at manufacturers websites but I can't find the info I'm looking for... do either of these have a 'playlist' system similar to pro-tools, and do they have slip/shuffle/grid mode equivalents, track groups and quick editing all in the arrange window - these are the features I like about PT software at the mo... I guess I can get a demo version and have a play, but would be good to figure out my most likely candidate before going to that hassle!!

Cheers
Iain
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

I've used ProTools, Nuendo and DP in several situations.
Get NUENDO!!!
Protools is great, but IMHO Nuendo is a better software. More fexible
DP sucks
Cheers
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

Pro Tools was the only DAW I'd ever used for years...

...got DP...never looked back. It has so many features it makes Pro Tools HD seem like DP LE. Especially if you're on a Mac -- I don't trust anything by Steinburg if it's not running on Windows. DP is Mac only.

Logic is way to unintuitive for a Pro Tools user...DP will take a little getting use to, but the similarities are largely there...will only take a few days at most. (edit...oops, didn't notice you already use Logic - never mind)

Also, for $500 list price, you can't go wrong w/ Performer.

Just my 2-cents.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

For DP info, check out www.unicornation.com - you'll find tons of great info.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

Also, there's no DP demo, but the plus side is that once you buy it there's no dongles to worry about.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

There are equivalents to PTs slip/shuffle/grid in the Tools you chose to edit with - regular I-beam, trim tool, roll tool, slip tool, slide tool, etc.

Playlists are simply Takes in DP - any track can have an ulimited number of takes.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

I'll try to answer any other questions about DP you may have, although the folks on UnicorNation know more than I - some there have been on Performer since 1986!

I've only been using it for little over a year, but I love it!
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmart View Post
Have to side with you on this one. Got HD3 and yes it was expensive but oh so killer.

Theres really nothing out there like Protools. Its the best program in my opinion for tracking and editing.
I don't agree on tracking, but I do concede that Pro Tools is by far the easiest/most flexible app for audio editing.

That said, I haven't tried Peak yet...so that may change.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

you could get the m-audio lightbridge and keep using protools
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

merging pyramix
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear
Right now is the very worst time to be buying any DAW as all the major players are about to launch the 'next generation' (ground breaking, Pro Tools 'killer' bla, bla, bla) of audio workstation.

You can expect big moves from SSL, Apple (Logic) and DigiDesign itself and all these launches will happen around March, in time for the MusikMesse in Frankfurt.

The battle ground will be the mid-priced DAW and the ability to be fully compatible with PT to the extent that the hardware can be used by the PT mix-engine, but at a fraction of the price of a PT HD3 rig.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear
BTW, I see you are in Glasgow. Get John at The Base (Post Prod studio in Glasgow) to demo Soundscape to you. It too is PT compatible (opens and saves PT projects) and you might be pleasently suprised.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
Sonar 6 Producer Edition
Reaper

diamondjim
Barn Jazz Home
My picks exactly having been a long time Protools user (both HD and LE)

Bye bye dongle. Hello freedom and more capability for less invested.

With native software running so well on quads now (with very acceptable latencies), there is no need for HD rigs. Digidesign needs to rethink things...ALOT!

You could try Ableton and soon Reaper will be available for Macs.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

I'm not a Windows user, so I haven't used Sonar...but I have to admit, on paper, Sonar mkes Pro Tools look like a cheap toy (64-bit audio @ 500 kHz??? What???).
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Samplitude.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys for all the suggestions...

@ Mr Quimper - checked out the DP forum... looks interesting, I have to say that DP caught my attention more than anything else so far

@ The Byre - thinking it might indeed be worth holding on to see what's around the corner... only issue is can I face tracking and editing with logic as it currently is until then??! Soundscape looks interesting but windows only?

I use Merging Pyramix at another studio I freelance at - like it in many ways, but I can't get on with Windows... and Merging support tell me they are not planning to build a Mac version... if they did that would be a serious option...

Cheers
Iain
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Depending a lot on your working style, it's worth checking out Melodyne. If you aren't a big midi user, and don't require mix automation, it's a basic DAW with the obvious benefits of the advanced pitch/formants/time/amplitude editing.

I love Cubase4, having ditched Logic and avoiding Protools for hardware reasons. I also am keeping an eye on Reaper. Last time I looked I was impressed with some things, but not enough to switch from Cubase.

It looks like the new version of Protools might be riffing on the Melodyne theme - I don't know if they've struck a deal or something. But the concept of editing the tuning of blobs on a grid is a interesting way to work ...
Old 18th August 2007

Ardour is an open source ProTools-alike. It's free but comes with no plug-ins. Operates similarly so may not be what you're looking for
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

IMO all DAWs are quite similar in terms what you can do and what you can't. Ian is referring to some PT specific features, and at least from remote I find it hard to judge if that could be acheived with something that is "alike" ProTools, or finally only with the original.

For me, I would however never want to pay the price of having to work on different platforms only because I think I need a special approach just for one step in my workflow. Having worked with SDII, ProTools, Sadie, SonicStudio, Augan, Pyramix, Sequoiatude, Logic, Audition, Nuendo, Wavelab, Reaper, I simply know that there are many ways for the targeted result, and for the time being all these platforms let me do what I really needed to do at that specific moment, and I am sure that the extra overhead, how high it may be, is still less than having to migrate to another platform strategically.

So, as a bottom line my recommendation would be to stick to ProTools and pay the price (different audio interface, or maybe also ->HD), or find a different platform that serves your complete workflow as well as possible.

Greetings and good luck,

Sebastian
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

You do realize, the Digi002 has 18 ins on it right? 8 analog, 8 Adat and 2 s/pdif. Maybe I'm not understanding...is that not enough ins?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

haven't tried it myself but heard a lot about Reaper ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search