The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wanted: Soundtracs Topaz 24/8 manual Consoles
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

Wanted: Soundtracs Topaz 24/8 manual

Hi,
Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this console? Any help would be appreciated. I did email the Sweetwater Manual Guru, in case that is a suggestion.. No reply yet..
Thanks all!
Larry
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

Larry,
I'll see if I have one.
I had found one at one time that someone put in Adobe format.
I have a paper copy that came with my Topaz , but it is a copy of a copy type thing that is sort of blurry.
If I remember correctly it is a sorry manual anyway, it is incredibly vague and does not help a lot. If you have any specific questions I can try to look it up.

In the mean time when I get back to work on Monday I'll see if I still have the digital copy of the manual.

Tom
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_MIX View Post
Larry,
I'll see if I have one.
I had found one at one time that someone put in Adobe format.
I have a paper copy that came with my Topaz , but it is a copy of a copy type thing that is sort of blurry.
If I remember correctly it is a sorry manual anyway, it is incredibly vague and does not help a lot. If you have any specific questions I can try to look it up.

In the mean time when I get back to work on Monday I'll see if I still have the digital copy of the manual.

Tom
Tom, Thanks! I know manuals can be dodgy at best sometimes..
I am mainly interested in a couple of things. There are no direct outs on the channels, just tape outs. I'm wondering what level that is.. -10??
i have heard that there is a mod to make the board +4 all around.. Is the whole board -20?? Yikes!! That mod is in the manual also I believe. I want to know how to do that if I need to. i literally JUST got this board today, but i don't get much of a history or a manual.. Any help would be appreciated.
'Thanks so much!
Larry
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmann View Post
.. Is the whole board -20?? Yikes!!

Sorry for the typo! (-10)

Larry
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

wanted to add a note: those are great boards.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

BUMP? (and then some)

Not only a bump, but I am really interested in the mods to the master section as well as the +4 mod.. Anyone know who might do this in the NYC area? I really wanna rock this board!! hehehe Thanks again!
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Tom, Thanks! I know manuals can be dodgy at best sometimes..
I am mainly interested in a couple of things. There are no direct outs on the channels, just tape outs. I'm wondering what level that is.. -10??
The tape outs are direct outs. 1/4 inch bal / unbal post fade, EQ .
I am not sure if they are -10. My board had the +4 mod done before I bought it, so mine are definitely +4.

Quote:
i have heard that there is a mod to make the board +4 all around.. Is the whole board -20?? Yikes!! That mod is in the manual also I believe. I want to know how to do that if I need to. i literally JUST got this board today, but i don't get much of a history or a manual.. Any help would be appreciated.
'Thanks so much!
Larry
I don't think ALL the sends were -10. I'll find the manual.
One thing I will prepare you for is the funky assignments of the aux sends.. it will stress you out until you wrap your head around it. I wish they would have given you a straight 6 aux sends to what ever was assigned to that channel ( with maybe the exception of one switchable to the second "monitor" in). But I guess in their minds you were going to be using it with all 48 channel simultaneously all the time.
Aux 1 is hard assigned to the main Channel input (whether mic or line) Aux 2 is hard assigned to the Monitor (tape return) input that shares that channel strip. The others (aux 3 thru 6)can be assigned to either. But that means you basically can only have a maximum of 3 aux sends per channel strip active at any one time. The talk back mic only works with aux 1 and 2 so you need to pipe a talkback mic into a channel to reach all auxes.

I did not know that when I bought the board which was primarily to set up monitor mixes and record drums!
I wished I had bought a different board now for monitoring like a Soundcraft 500b or something that had straight 6 auxes and 8 sub outs for tracking drums.
I know these boards have a good rep on sound and such, but it does not work well for my application. I'll give you a heads up too on the +4 mod. If you have a meter bridge and it does not get some kind of mod or recalibration, it becomes almost useless to you because you will be blowing the top of the meters all the time before the board actually gets anywhere near clipping.

I'll keep looking for the manual.
Be patient with me, my Daughter is getting married today (my first child!) and my life is upside down for a bit!

Later,
Tom
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not only a bump, but I am really interested in the mods to the master section as well as the +4 mod.. Anyone know who might do this in the NYC area? I really wanna rock this board!! hehehe Thanks again!
Funny,
The guy I bought this board was from Upstate NY.
He gave the name of the guy who did his mod: here is an excerp of his email:

I want to give you the name of the one and only official Soundtracs/Topaz repair tech for all of the USA... His name is Steve Magalnick... Here is what I have for contact info for him...

phone: 305-944-2503
email #1: [email protected]
email #2: [email protected]

I guess try this guy out!

Tom
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks Tom.. yeah apparently Steve M is THE guy in the USA. I'm getting some replacement fader knobs from him. I was hoping for someone local to NYC possibly. I know they wouldn't be "authorized' but someone reputable. Hmmm.. I may have some mighty shipping charges in my future!!! hehehe
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

I do know that all the insert pins are backwards from normal. In other words what our sends is the topaz return. and return is the sends.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Yep!
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

There is a yahoo groups dedicated to the Topaz
soundtracstopaz : Soundtracs Topaz

In the file section you can see scans of the manual that describe the -10/+4 mod.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I do know that all the insert pins are backwards from normal. In other words what our sends is the topaz return. and return is the sends.
Strange and interesting..
And I was hoping to overcome my dyslexia this year too!!! damn!!!
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyt View Post
There is a yahoo groups dedicated to the Topaz
soundtracstopaz : Soundtracs Topaz

In the file section you can see scans of the manual that describe the -10/+4 mod.
Thanks, I joined the group and have the scans.. Thanks very much!
Larry
Old 18th August 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

Steve Magalnick is a great guy, knows Soundtracs inside out. Unknowingly I sent him a module from the first "realish" nyc studio I interned at, they had a Megas. Later I was involved in service and sales of Soundtracs digital boards(rediscovered windows 3.11 with the dpcII) and sent analog folks his way. A couple of years later I was amist acquiring an ancient CP6800 for my rrom, was having a problem removing the legs and left him a message. He called me back from vacation in Oregon to earnestly talk about the board - I had since figured that to access the bolts was the same design as the digital boards, but instead of removing a 8 channel screen and fader module, a couple of strips had to be pulled on one side and the patchbay gingerly raised on the other.

This is all totally useless information. Damn. And long winded. Anyway, trust Steve of Victory Technologies I guess...

Regards,

jhg
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg View Post
Steve Magalnick is a great guy, knows Soundtracs inside out. Unknowingly I sent him a module from the first "realish" nyc studio I interned at, they had a Megas. Later I was involved in service and sales of Soundtracs digital boards(rediscovered windows 3.11 with the dpcII) and sent analog folks his way. A couple of years later I was amist acquiring an ancient CP6800 for my rrom, was having a problem removing the legs and left him a message. He called me back from vacation in Oregon to earnestly talk about the board - I had since figured that to access the bolts was the same design as the digital boards, but instead of removing a 8 channel screen and fader module, a couple of strips had to be pulled on one side and the patchbay gingerly raised on the other.

This is all totally useless information. Damn. And long winded. Anyway, trust Steve of Victory Technologies I guess...

Regards,

jhg
Nah, it was interesting read!! Thanks.. Also I tried to look up Victory Technologies and came up with only one company that certainly doesn't seem like the right company. Also, it's located in MA.. Do you have any info on Victory Tech? Maybe i can elegantly pick Steve M's brain and have my studio tech do the work..
Cheers,
Larry
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Got a maunual

Hey all,
I just got a manual through a guy named Mark Glinsky. For anyone else who is interested, he has many manuals and can either send you a hard copy or send you a link for a pdf to download. The download is cheaper, only $15. It's legible too. (The manual is sort of strangely written.. I guess a lot of manuals are. But it seems unclear about very specific things.)
Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. I learned a lot about this board through this thread.
I'm still interested in the Master Section mod i heard about, if anyone knows about that. That's definitely NOT in the manual as far as i can see. I'll ask Steve M about that one too i guess. He is a good resource as some of you said, and his prices for some replacement knobs and fader knobs are completely reasonable considering this is discontinued stuff. Good guy I think. Helpful.
Off to the races now!! hehehe
Larry
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg View Post

Regards,

jhg
Hey,
i just put 2 & 2 ogether. i didn't realize you meant the SAME Steve when you were recommending a tech. Just figured out that Steve M's company IS Victory Technologies. So he really seems to be THE guy.. I'll just ask for a quote. Thanks again bro!
Larry
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

The +4 master section mod is absolutley in the manual. As a matter of fact its scanned in on the yahoo group I posted earlier.

Looks again, you must have missed it.

Its hardly a mod though little dab of solder is all
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyt View Post
The +4 master section mod is absolutley in the manual. As a matter of fact its scanned in on the yahoo group I posted earlier.

Looks again, you must have missed it.

Its hardly a mod though little dab of solder is all
Thanks, I'll definitely I'll check that ouy, but i believe that there is a more involved master section mod that I've heard about: not just +4.. Some switchout parts and chips maybe that clean up the image etc.. I'm gonna ask Steve M about it. I know he does the mod for somewhere around $250-$275.. I just wondered if it was something my tech friend could possibly handle if he had the proper instructions.. Thanks again!!!
Larry
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Ahhh thats completely different, you are talking about the Jim Williams mod. Ask him.
Old 19th August 2009
Here for the gear

Soundtracs Topaz 24 / 8

Could someone email me the scan of this manual? I don't have a yahoo account. jkkananen at gmail dot com is my email. thanks in advance
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search