The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite snare sound? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Addict

Roger Waters -- Amused to Death (great sonics n that record)

Nirvana -- In Utero (all Albini drum sounds)

Ditto on Spoon's Gimme Fiction and Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Jim Eno's Drum sounds are great-- as well as the entire vibe).
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear
Some of my favourite snare sounds:-

Deftones - White Pony, especially Feiteceira & Digital Bath
Ride - Leave Them All Behind
Led Zeppelin - pretty much everything
Smashing Pumpkins - Siva, Snail - anything off Gish - Chamberlains rimshots are awesome.
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

my personal favourite .. YouTube - For Earth Below
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

For fat snare, gotta be Tom Petty/ "Refugee".

High, snappy snare, "Steady Pull" by Jonatha Brooke.
Old 10th July 2009
the problem is that most of my favorite sounds are ones that are so unique as to never work in a song other than the one they were made for. THe best example is Pour SOme Sugar On Me. THat snare sounds like a 2 ton boulder dropping into a lake, and its amazing, but id be hard pressed to find another song where that would work.

i love a good roomy (less reverby) 80's snare sound. ANything Bob Rock put out is good, but a little limited. As a drummer its just more satisfying to hear that big POOOoooww when you hit the snare, but it doesnt work for every song. Actually I think my favorite is Aerosmith's Pump album. Those drums are huge, and you'd expect something like that to be on a metal album, but on an album of bluesy rock? somehow he makes it work, and its fantastic. 'Love in an Elevator' is just so big sounding, i love it.
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Maniac

I love loads, depends on the track. I'm a real fan of heavily compressed/high threshhold snares like those on Green Day records, but I also love snare sounds in Oasis' Be Here Now, and Definitely Maybe. Just depends on the music really, I love most snares in the right context. For my rock and roll, a nice dry steel snare is cool, as is a fat maple or birch.
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Stone Temple Pilots - Dead and Bloated
Soundgarden - Superunknown
and the obligatory anything by John Bonham
Old 12th July 2009
Walter Becker - Paging Audrey

Actually, all snares on that Album (Circus Money) are great, ranging from dry & short to rich & full to overtony & compressed. fantastically recorded, played by Keith Carlock.
Old 12th July 2009
Whatever is appropriate for the song - in a good acoustic instrument, not a sample. We have too many damn sample libraries already and too many wannabe "producers" using them.

Urban Dictionary: producer
Old 12th July 2009
Here for the gear

The Casket Lottery-Code Red (great kick too)
Old 12th July 2009
Gear Maniac

1- Dave Weckl in all of Chick Corea's electric band albums.

2- Bonham
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

I looooooovvvvveeeeeee Russell Elevado's snare sounds. Imho he is todays master
Old 13th July 2009
Lives for gear

I like the snare sound on some of the Red Hot Chili Peppers records. Big punchy metal rock style but yet very organic in the mix. Has just the right amount of "poooiiing" if you know what I mean.
Old 20th July 2009
Love Steve Jordan's(John Mayer-Continuum) snare sound.

Dave Weckyl's kit sounds amazing on mostly everything he records.

Whoever recorded Sara Bareilles album did a great job capturing the snare sound from the drummer. (every note including ghost notes are clear and in your face).
Old 20th July 2009
Gear Guru

Snare sounds also comes from the player as in attack, the strike... best attack player in the world, Stewart Copeland and Neil Peart.
Old 20th July 2009
Gear Addict

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Justin Niebank tracked some beautiful snares (Brady, I assume?) with Chris McHugh for the Love, Pain & the whole crazy thing album by Keith Urban. Like the song "I told you so"

Love those Bradys! That kind of sound that Audioslave, RHCP, SPin Doctors etc have: meaty yet rich overtones without the terribly exaggerated "ping" on St. Anger...

Does anyone here have any experience recording Brady drums?

And no; I don't sell Brady
Old 20th July 2009
Gear Maniac

I don't normally go goo goo over snare sounds but one that stands out in my mind as not only sounding good, but musically perfect is on Floyd's DSOM on the song Time .... there are 3 snare hits just before the lyric "ticking away the moments that make up a dull day" - just PERFECT!
Old 20th July 2009
Gear Maniac
Wilco, of course, has GREAT raw, dark sounding snares and drums in general...
Old 20th July 2009
Lives for gear

wow I'm amazed no one has mentioned the snare sound on Born in the USA ... Springsteen... or Pink Caddilac ect...
Old 20th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom View Post
I'm doing a little research before starting my next library and was wondering what snares are your favorites. They must be natural snares with no sample support. (I know that's a little funny coming from a sample manufacturer )

my fav today: Stewart Copeland ...pretty much all albums (specific song: Murder By Numbers)

my all-time fav: no surpirse... Bonham

this
http://therslweblog.readyhosting.com...body_Knows.mp3
Old 20th July 2009
Lives for gear

I would say the one that fit the most into the song. Joey Castillo's snare sound is very fat and low but it fit in queens of the stone age song. Sometimes I just love really crisp and bright snare, when it sit well in the mix!
Old 20th July 2009
Lives for gear

Dunno if it has been mentioned but "Concrete Blonde - Mexican Moon" record has great drum sounds all round.
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Gutz View Post
...on Floyd's DSOM on the song Time .... there are 3 snare hits just before the lyric "ticking away the moments that make up a dull day" - just PERFECT!
those snare hits have toms under them.
Old 21st July 2009
Lives for gear

Breach - Deadheads.
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Head

As an attention-grabbing effect, the snare in the intro of Elbow's Any Day Now is impressive.

It's probably a sample but it was once an actual snare.
Old 21st July 2009
Lives for gear

This is a very timely return of this post. Got lots of snares brewing!

Thanks for all the responses! I saved a lot of the suggestions and referenced them while getting sounds together.
Old 21st July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRockit View Post
wow I'm amazed no one has mentioned the snare sound on Born in the USA ... Springsteen... or Pink Caddilac ect...
I didn't mention it specifically because I don't want to have that snare sound ruined by being spread all over a million crappy sample based dance "productions". Along with all the other snare sounds I love.

Think about it.
Old 21st July 2009
Deleted User
Meet Virginia by Train.

I love the midrange punch on that snare... Cracky as all hell.
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Nut

"My Hero" - Foo Fighters - Dave Grohl

This intro while the room mics are still up sounds insane. Sounds like you are in a room with some inhuman monster pounding on drums.

John Mayer - Continuum

variety of drum sounds is really great and they sound so good. my favorite is "Gravity"

Wallflowers - "One Headlight"

Really all the instruments sound great not just the drums. Love the guitars and bass too. Glad someone pointed this one out.

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

Really natural sounding, guess I'm just a sucker for room sound.
Old 21st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post

and I really wonder how I would go about getting that sort of sound.

I am new at the whole "studio" thing, coming from a classical realm, so I am riding with training wheels in a lot of ways.

any ideas on the above?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search