The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite snare sound? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom View Post
Bonham played a 14x6.5 ludwig supraphonic
I bought one of these at a garage sale for 25 bucks. Strainer, throw off, and a resonant head later (ok some rim straightening too) and this snare rocks! You can tune it all over the place but its really nice deep.

Oh yeah........... Bohnam and Danny Cary (sp?)
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd24 View Post
I bought one of these at a garage sale for 25 bucks. Strainer, throw off, and a resonant head later (ok some rim straightening too) and this snare rocks! You can tune it all over the place but its really nice deep.
i hate you
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironklad Audio View Post
+1

perfect modern rock/metal snare sound
+1!!
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom View Post
i hate you
All I can say is thank god for tweakers!
....................you should of seen me driving to am ATM at 80mph when I asked the price.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd24 View Post
All I can say is thank god for tweakers!
....................you should of seen me driving to am ATM at 80mph when I asked the price.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta4lnch View Post
. . . also liberty - downeaster alexa
Devito knows how to tune AND hit his snares!
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Bohnam

Cobham
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

[quote=drummerboy1533;1444328]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desol View Post
...............and like I keep eh-splainin' to my 15 year old,it's how you his the thing...
That really is the core of the issue. A great snare CAN be made to sound very bad.............or very good.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

ahhh ...todays fav: Mute Math ...everything!

damn he gets some raw beefy tones!
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

smashing pumpkins
shellac
appleseed cast
explosions in the sky

hate to throw this out there...'higher' by creed.

surprised no-ones mentioned 'two princes' by the spin doctors.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

John Convertino ( Calexico )
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the snare sound on "honky tonk women."

This is one of my favorite snare sounds of all time...not to mention the kick drum as well.
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

Ray Luzier-Army of Anyone

Sounds like WOOD!
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Blood Sugar Sex Magic
The Red Hot Chili Peppers

those first two snare hits to "give it away"..........tastey....
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Probably Jeff Porcaro's snare sound from Toto IV. So different from the current rock aesthetic for snare drums to my ears, but I loved it. Jeff was just incredible.

Ben B
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Fav of the day: Operator - Soul Crusher album - song: Black Cloud

has anybody heard these guys? is it not eerie how much the singer sounds like a young, fresh Chris Cornell?

*I'm noting these suggestions so I can seek them out for references for a future edition of my library. Thanks again, this is extremely helpful*
Old 20th August 2007
DRC
Lives for gear

The snare on "One Headlight."
The Wallflowers: 'Bringing Down the Horse' album
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnite View Post
This one's easy for me: Al Jackson on Al Green's "Love and Happiness." A fatter snare there never was.

I also like just about every sound ?uest Love has ever gotten out of a snare.
While we're on the subject of guys named "Al", has anyone been back into those "Time Passages" by Al Stewart for a listen lately? Alan Parsons outdid himself with that album, and the writing was great too. The title single just sparkles. Now, about that voice, though...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Nirvan - In Utero - Milk it

[/thread]
heart shaped box has one of my all-time fave drum sounds, particularly in the verse. snare is all crispy cream.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyboard View Post
surprised no-ones mentioned 'two princes' by the spin doctors.
there is what is perhaps the most annoying record -- right down to that every-hit-exactly-alike annoying snare drum sound -- ever made. the only thing worse is to watch the video for it. what a barrel of assmonkeys those guys were/are!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm going to shift gears.

The WORST snare sound EVER

dfegad Metallica - St Anger
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guid0 View Post
Call me crazy but I've always been partial to the classic Bill Bruford tight-snare sound. I'm thinking of the stuff he did with KC or Allan Holdsworth in the early 80's.

His work with Holdworth was the late '70s -- the first (eponymous) UK album, and Bruford's first two solo albums were all recorded in 77, 78, & 79 -- but yes, that metallic "tonk" rimshot on every backbeat is definitely one of my favorite snare sounds...though it (as well as the truckload-o'-RotoToms & the disembodied rubber ball kick drum sound Bruford had on those same recordings) is so identifiable as him that I'm not sure how useful it would be in a sample library. FWIW Stephen Taylor engineered all three of those albums, so he might deserve some of the credit for that snare sound.

Other favorite snare sounds of mine include Don Brewer's ultra-dry woody garage "bap" all over Grand Funk Railroad's Closer To Home album, Omar Hakim's gated dirt on Bowie's "Modern Love", Wil Calhoun on Living Color's first album, Ronald Shannon Jackson on the opening track from Bill Laswell's Baselines, and the gigantic angry beehive of popcorn snares you hear anywhere there's a live pipe&drum marching band.

Plus another vote for Bonzo. Of course.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groff View Post
Cobham

Ooh, good call!

Much as my tastes seem to have, uh, outgrown (!) Billy Cobham's playing, I recently listened to Birds Of Fire on CD and was reminded how incredible his drum sound always was.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

anothe great one:
38 special - hold on loosely!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I'm going to shift gears.

The WORST snare sound EVER

dfegad Metallica - St Anger
Oh man...........I was just going to come post that as a joke.

Remember the audio floating around the net where the guy redid Saint Anger with a folding metal chair for the snare!

Hi-larity!heh
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know if I could say its my favorite snare sound... but I've always felt the drums on Shiner's album "the Egg" sounded amazing.
Old 20th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Someone mentioned Smashing Pumpkins. I really dig the snares on Siamese Dream, especially Cherub Rock.

Brad
That was a Radio King

JT
Old 20th September 2008
Lives for gear

Hey Blue!

Maybe add another thread and ask people what there favorite snare sound that has been replaced is. Then you'll get an idea of what people doing modern rock are looking for when they want that replaced sound.

Then we can all have vintage beautiful snares and also snares that are processed and crazy!

Cheerio
Old 20th September 2008
Gear Head

Lots of good ones mentioned;
I would add the snare sound on Tool's Undertow album (the drum sound is great on all their albums, it just seems like the drums are more up front on Undertow)

For a natural sound, Soundgarden Superunknown and Down on the Upside are good ones too...I like Badmotorfinger a lot too

Definitely Floyd and The Police. All the sounds on Pink Floyd albums just scream "class" to me...

A Perfect Circle Mer de Noms has some good ones; might be samples though.

Queens of the Stone Age "Songs for the Deaf", I love the drum sounds on this one: recording drums and cymbals separately is an interesting idea...NO Cymbal bleed...sounds like heaven to me hehe
Old 20th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Limited View Post
Any Police record.

Here's Copeland's method of tuning a snare: tighten each lug until you can't turn it anymore. That's hyped.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search