The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite snare sound? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
I know Gish. Even if there are a few samples on Siamese Dream, most of the sound and overall performance is his, I think Butch Vig said it himself on GS. Also it sounds like he used a 14x6.5 instead of his usual 14x5.5 (off the top of my head).
Butch might not have used samples, but Andy Wallace sure as hell did. The snare on Nevermind and Siamese Dream sound pretty similar, but Jimmy Chamberlain and Dave Grohl couldn't be more different players.
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Butch might not have used samples, but Andy Wallace sure as hell did. The snare on Nevermind and Siamese Dream sound pretty similar, but Jimmy Chamberlain and Dave Grohl couldn't be more different players.
Andy Wallace didn't mix Siamese Dream. Alan Moulder, Butch and Billy Corgan did. I don't think Siamese Dream snare sounds that similar to Nevermind's anyway. Powerful, yes, but the tone is completely different.

I don't doubt there are samples on Siamese Dream, but as Butch Vig himself pointed out, they were used subtly. There are mogg files of both Smells Like Teen Spirit and Cherub Rock, you can hear the difference isolating the snare tracks.
Old 10th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Andy Wallace didn't mix Siamese Dream. Alan Moulder, Butch and Billy Corgan did. I don't think Siamese Dream snare sounds that similar to Nevermind's anyway. Powerful, yes, but the tone is completely different.

I don't doubt there are samples on Siamese Dream, but as Butch Vig himself pointed out, they were used subtly. There are mogg files of both Smells Like Teen Spirit and Cherub Rock, you can hear the difference isolating the snare tracks.
I guess I just have it all mixed up (pun intended) in my mind. I though Alan Moulder got involved later in the Pumpkins catalog. I just always felt like Gish sounded more like how Jimmy sounds and that Siamese Deram sounded more "altered." Admittedly I've not heard SD in a while. Either way Jimmy's voice comes through. That dude is amazing!
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I just have it all mixed up (pun intended) in my mind. I though Alan Moulder got involved later in the Pumpkins catalog. I just always felt like Gish sounded more like how Jimmy sounds and that Siamese Deram sounded more "altered." Admittedly I've not heard SD in a while. Either way Jimmy's voice comes through. That dude is amazing!
To my ears, Gish sounds like a smaller snare, which Jimmy likes. Sounds great, of course.
Old 10th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
To my ears, Gish sounds like a smaller snare, which Jimmy likes. Sounds great, of course.
I believe the drum could be the same of very similar. I know early on Jimmy favored a 6 1/2" brass Pearl Free Floating snare, possibly even after he got his Yamaha endorsement.

The big difference I hear between the two records is that there's a ton more clarity and nuance on Gish. I think that suits Jimmy's playing much better. I remember being in Chicago as they were becoming the "next big thing." I had the cassette of Gish, and the subtlety of what he was doing on the snare was amazing, and right there for the listener. On SD I feel there's way too much smear to hear the nuance of his left hand.
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe the drum could be the same of very similar. I know early on Jimmy favored a 6 1/2" brass Pearl Free Floating snare, possibly even after he got his Yamaha endorsement.

The big difference I hear between the two records is that there's a ton more clarity and nuance on Gish. I think that suits Jimmy's playing much better. I remember being in Chicago as they were becoming the "next big thing." I had the cassette of Gish, and the subtlety of what he was doing on the snare was amazing, and right there for the listener. On SD I feel there's way too much smear to hear the nuance of his left hand.
True, Gish is definitely less "produced", more like the band actually sounded. I agree that Jimmy's nuances are better heard on Gish than Siamese Dream.

The early 90s were a golden era for music, looking back.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Guru

It was a good time for RAWK!
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Nut

I guess I might be in the minority here, but i always thought Bob Rocks Drum sounds on Metallica's Black Album through ReLoad were pretty bad-ass. Specifically a few songs on Load and ReLoad, like the drums sound like you are standing in front of them.
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

HAL BLAINE /JIM KELTNER on 100's of classic .....and whatever clients snare on their project > I'm working on presently in the studio -- that becomes my main focus :: till its finished

Last edited by cjogo; 11th April 2015 at 05:30 PM..
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

Elusive - Dream on Sister (2007)

Relatively less-known modern band, classic gothic rock sound. They even credited their drum machine like a real drummer following the tradition. Some great dynamics are there (it's around -12 db RMS), which is extremely rare in modern production. Due to that, drums are as punchy as hell.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Head

For hard classic rock snare with fundamental frequency on [email protected] to -24dB.
Old 12th April 2015
Gear Nut

too many good sounding snares to have an absolute favourite but Don Brewer always has an exceptional sounding rock snare sound that cuts
imho of course.
Old 12th April 2015
Lives for gear

i have 2 favourites

ludwig black beauty 5"

or

gretsch stave cherrywood 5" (tuned low)
Old 12th April 2015
Gear Maniac

B.O.C Birch

Fire of Unknown Origin by Blue Oyster Cult.
Old 13th April 2015
Lives for gear
Was listening to Jane's Addiction Nothing's Shocking and Ritual d lo Habitual over the weekend, and got to throw a shout out to Stephen Perkins! Hugely underrated drummer, and GREAT snare sounds!

I think because those two albums are so much more than the sum of their parts to me (best two albums back to back by any band IMO!) I tend not to think about how the individual parts sound as much, but that does not mean the individual parts are less than stellar!

Funny that!
Old 14th April 2015
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread. But I am confused about something regarding the Stewart Copeland contribution to Peter Gabriel's So and the song below.

I am certain I recall a story where the credit to Stewart Copeland was because they had sampled a drum sound that he played on another record and used it so much on the track that they were legally obliged to give him a credit on the record.

Now I am reading that Copeland did actually play on the record but he only played a hi-hat along to Jerry Marotta's drums and other drum samples. So which one is it?
Old 22nd April 2015
Gear Nut

One Night Love Affair - Bob Clearmountain.
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear

Another snare that I really like is on Katatonia - Tomb of Insomnia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VreiTkOmdcs). Pretty standard triggered metal snare, but it really keeps the song going. Overall production is top notch: loads of bass but still balanced and everything is heard clearly, punchy and dynamic. Bass drum is clicky but still has plenty of meat on in.
Linked non-remastered version. Remastered is a grungy mess obviously.

Often struggling to achieve this type of sound characteristic for early 90's doom/death bands - underground-ish and dark, but quite polished, balanced and every instrument is in place.
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear

"Smack Beauty"
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear

This will be obscure to some folks, but a drummer I once knew who was obsessed with drum sounds pointed out how great Jimmy Carl Black's snare on the live Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention LP "Burnt Weenie Sandwich" sounds.
I have pointed the same to other people and drummers and they have all agreed that it is a great sounding snare.
Check it out some time.
I am not talking about the recorded sound as much as the actual sound of the drum itself.
Also, there were two drummers playing at once on most of that record (Jimmy Carl Black and Art Tripp.)
Jimmy Carl's parts are the straighter and more driving parts.

Last edited by dbbubba; 18th June 2015 at 01:34 AM..
Old 18th June 2015
Gear Head

The Roy Haynes snare when Matt Cameron hits it.
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear

Also Mizue who plays drums in the J-Pop power trio Tsu Shi Ma Mi Re gets a consistently great snare drum live and in the studio.
I mixed them live at SxSW last March and not only did her snare sound amazing her playing was awesome.
I have a few drummer buddies who hold her in high regard.
She has an amazing, raw snare sound on almost all of their releases.
Old 18th June 2015
Gear Guru

I'm a sucker for rimshots. "More Today Than Yesterday," "Moods For Moderns," lots of Dave Clark Five records...

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 26th June 2015 at 06:24 PM..
Old 18th June 2015
Just found this thread and maybe it's already been said... Levon Helm. He just hit those tubs so they answered back so sweetly.
Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear

There are a bunch of songs with great snares. Off the top of my head: One Headlight. Old Stones stuff. Old Motown. Ringo on Abbey Road and "In My Life". Old Power Station stuff for that 80s gated verb crash, old Al Green....Also I love the poppy snare on "I Cant Stand it" by Eric Clapton. Its nothing special but just pops and makes the song

Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear

Matt Chamberlain has been mentioned often in this thread. A few years ago, I purchased some used low-pass Quantegy 456 from a producer who used to be in a well-known band in the early to mid 90s. I took it home and some of his sessions were still on the tape, including one song that was a top 40 hit in 2005-2006 (Breath 2AM by Anna Nalick) which he produced.

Anyway, Chamberlain played on these sessions and the snare sounds on some of the songs are freakin incredible. I know it was tracked to a Studer from the notes on the boxes. I ended up erasing the tape and recording over it with my stuff...but I saved the session to digital and I still have it on my hard drive. For copyright reasons I wont be able to post it.
Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear

Opening flam, Boston's Rock n' roll band.

Also, hard to describe but in some mixes I hear the snare kind have an envelope like "Hik" Hik" as if there is a gate at just the right time. Makes your heart skip a little.

Like someone slapped you hard in the middle of your back.
I've tried to achieve that but no joy as yet.

:Ron
Old 19th June 2015
Beast of Burden
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Thomas View Post
There are a bunch of songs with great snares. Off the top of my head: One Headlight. Old Stones stuff. Old Motown. Ringo on Abbey Road and "In My Life". Old Power Station stuff for that 80s gated verb crash, old Al Green....Also I love the poppy snare on "I Cant Stand it" by Eric Clapton. Its nothing special but just pops and makes the song

One Headlight...what a great shout. That snare is perfection

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search