The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite snare sound? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Los Lobos -- Kiko.

The song where the snare sounds like a loose washboard flapping around, or like all the wires on the snare have sprung loose. It's floppy, loose, and great. I think Tchad Blake was responsible for it.

Oh yea, and that super crisp snare sound Roger Nichols used when he made (the first?) drum machine for Steely Dan's 'Hey Nineteen'.
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Nut

Nirvana's "In Utero".

The drums sounds are pretty distinct to me.
Old 29th September 2013
Here for the gear

the blink cover sounds like a sample replacement to me.
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

the Rolling Stones' "Ruby Tuesday"
Old 29th September 2013
Gear Nut

probably Jon Theodore on De-loused but I think that has more to do with his playing

Genesis 'That's All' has nice tight sound
Old 29th March 2015
Here for the gear

Something like olivia - john mayer

aaron sterling's snare sound is crazy...
Old 29th March 2015
I just stumbled on this thread because I spent a good part of the day today getting a good snare tone from my synthesizer. Getting a good snare is tricky.

My taste is for electronic dance club music: There is no such thing as too much digital reverb on a snare (as long as it's a good reverb; cheap reverbs have tails that just rattle or even a good hi-end Lexicon reverb with the wrong algorithm has a tail that's too metallic)

A couple of my favorite snares not mentioned before in the thread:

Book of Love - Boy. This song comes from 1985, right when "Born in the USA" (already mentioned in this thread) was all over the radio, and it shows in this song. The snare is this explosion which takes up a lot of space in the mix, but it stands out and sounds good. I would guess, listening to it, that it's a Simmons electronic snare drum going through Mark Crabtree's AMS RMX-16 in "non-linear" mode. Ob YouTube link

M83 - Midnight City. Here's a snare from this millennium. It has a big reverb but the reverb is pulled low enough in the mix to let the other parts of the song have a lot of space in the mix. This snare is so strong, it nicely compensates for the fairly dead kick that this song has. I had the pleasure of hearing this song live recently, and it's even better live. Hear it on YouTube

---

There are two elements critical to getting a good snare sound: A good compressor and a good reverb. My Juno-Di has a snare sound with potential, but unprocessed sounds like someone hitting a piece of paper: Very thin (although, I have heard it used in that form in dance remixes for fills while a clap is used for the back beat). So, first, I looked for a decent compressor in the Juno-Di to thicken it up. The only compressor that gave it more punch was a "lo-fi" compressor that the Juno has, that gave the snare a trashy big sound. The Juno's reverb could not make this snare have a big reverberant sound to it; the tail sounded like a child's rattle, not a reverberant wash.

That in mind, I hooked up my Lexicon PCM-90 to give the snare a decent wash. Even with the big guns, the reverb still had a really harsh and metallic tail. I finally got something I could work with by using a dual-reverb preset which mostly did not have a metallic sound in its tail; I was able to remove the metallic residue by maximizing the "spin" and "wander" values for both reverbs in the stacked sound.

My DR-660 has about 80 different snare sounds but not one of them is one I like. The only time I have ever gotten a decent snare sound out of that box was the time I ran it through my old cheezy Yamaha GC2020 compressor; it gave the snare a nice snap which worked nicely in the mix. Even a cheap compressor can improve a snare sound greatly: I saw a DBX 166XL at a local music store today for $50 and picked it up (I will get it tomorrow because it's on hold for one more day), because I have a feeling that I will be able to get some good snares out of that thing.
Old 29th March 2015
Lives for gear

This Book of Love snare kills cockroaches in the hearing range. Exactly in my tastes. Unfortunateny, I rarely manage to get the sound like this into modern rock/metal production. And you need to convince the band/producer/whoever to drop the levels 4-5 dB in order to make the space for it.

For this sort of reverb, plugins works the best for me (sacrilege). They are able to go beyond hardware in thickness/diffusion/length/name it. A certain cheap and often overlooked one sounds like four RMX plugged at once if setted up correctly. If you want a digital snare, you gotta embrace the digital.

About compressors, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed by DBX sound. I have even cheaper all-in-one unit and it works wonders for jazzing something up.

I'll post the example of 2000's snare I consider good (obligatory link). I believe it's lower than the kick. It's pretty modern triggered sample, but something I liked about 80's snares is there.
Old 30th March 2015
Gear Maniac

While the mix isn't that great, I'm currently in love with this snare sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDtMWRWWNwM
Old 30th March 2015
Lives for gear

Levon Helm on the brown album or pretty much anything Jim Keltner hits.
Old 30th March 2015
Lives for gear

Elvis C., King of America album.
Old 30th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierge99 View Post
Boston - Boston

Doesn't get ANY better.
Ancient response, but I recall reading somewhere that that was an Oberheim DX sample. Anyone recall that?
Old 30th March 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeballcore View Post
While the mix isn't that great, I'm currently in love with this snare sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDtMWRWWNwM
I like the ring but it could handle a little more heft for my taste - I totally get what you mean about the mix... the BVs are bizarre.

1 snare recording that I like is "Guys like me" by Aimee Mann:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcDq_Dv6jI

Tony

Last edited by bambony; 30th March 2015 at 06:56 PM..
Old 30th March 2015
Lives for gear

At the moment I'm totally in love with Jimmy Chamberlain's snare on Siamese Dream. The whole album really, but specially Cherub Rock. Power and finesse rolled into one.
Old 30th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrax View Post
+1 Steely Dan

+1 Stevie Superstition

Fleetwod Mac's "Dreams" (off Rumours)

Also, a great deep full snare: Van Morrison's "When The Healing Has Begun" (off Into The Music)
I love the Mick Fleetwood snare sound especially on Dreams.
Old 31st March 2015
Lives for gear

or pretty much anything Jim Keltner hits.[/QUOTE]

bingo- that's the sound I love
Old 5th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_mod View Post
About compressors, I'm sure you won't be disappointed by DBX sound. I have even cheaper all-in-one unit and it works wonders for jazzing something up.
I finally had a chance to run a snare sound through the DBX 166XL and I'm happy with the results. By making the attack fairly long, the compressor gave the snare drum a nice pop, while keeping the sound clean. It gave the beat a nice feel without taking a bunch of space in the mix.

ObCoolSnareSound:

The snare I ended up with reminds me of the snare in Destination Calabria. It doesn't take up a lot of the mix, but keeps the rhythm going. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APtj3EvhfWA Warning: Video may be NSFW (Not safe for work)
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
At the moment I'm totally in love with Jimmy Chamberlain's snare on Siamese Dream. The whole album really, but specially Cherub Rock. Power and finesse rolled into one.
You beat me to it! Classic drums.

Lots of good Chamberlain snare songs out there, but a real cool one is Hello Kitty Kat. The drum part isn't quite as interesting, but it's jus so distorted and aggressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA15mvvrUQo
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Martin Hannett, definetely.
Maybe he did exaggerate a bit, but he once said that a few weeks after the release of Unknown Pleasures in 1979, all the snares in the world up to Nashville sounded like his.
When I first listened to Unknown Pleasures, it sounded like no other record I have heard before. And most radical: the snare.
He was copied so often that it's hard to describe, how distinct his sound was back then.
I can not believe that I'm the first to mention his name in this 14 pages thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3pvKyd7l_c

The Edge: "The mix took a while, as he had his own trademark drum sound, which was made by putting the snare drum through a period effects unit called a time modulator. I remember he carefully turned all the settings down to zero after he'd finished so our engineer wouldn't see what he had done."
Old 6th April 2015
Lives for gear

Alice in Chains Man in a Box has a great snare sound. Alan Parsons also has great short snares going on.

Shipley did a lot of tracks with cool snare/drum sounds that also sounded very cool on radio. Heres one of his (poor encoding I know):

Old 6th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
You beat me to it! Classic drums.

Lots of good Chamberlain snare songs out there, but a real cool one is Hello Kitty Kat. The drum part isn't quite as interesting, but it's jus so distorted and aggressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA15mvvrUQo
Chamberlin is always great, no matter what. Hello Kitty Kat is fantastic, but more ringy. I like more his deader Siamese Dream tones. Is amazing how he manages to drive a song with the hi hat and snare ghost notes, and at the same time have such a powerful backbeat, sounds like he nails the snare to the ground everytime he hits.
Old 6th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighBorg View Post
Vixen
When I had seen the bassist I instantly thought of Laiho of Children of Bodom. Apparently he had borrowed her makeup and expression. This band is offtop though, their sound is horrible and snare is non-existent.

I'm surprised to see some 80's stuff here. Back then they knew that the snare should be big and every kick should knock down the listener. Yep, and the music should have dynamics, which contributed to drums sound.

That's really killer snare sample they used. It's more like a gunshot than thump and still has tons of low end. Crunchy digital top from aliasing makes it appear more bright and noisy. I won't be surprised if they have assembled it from several other samples.
Old 7th April 2015
James Brown - Living in America the snare on that mix is pretty amazing
Old 7th April 2015
Gear Head

I'76

Another great snare sound from EV.
Attached Files

Bullmark - 06 - The T'aint.mp3 (3.25 MB, 573 views)

Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

My fave - Ludwig Supraphonic ..really dig it's sound, and everything else about it.
Old 7th April 2015
Gear Nut
Steve Gadd's snare, just about on anything. Ex.: Steely Dan -- "Aja" [the song]. In addition to the processing of the sound, it's the way he strikes the snare head.
Jeff Porcaro on Steely Dan's "Katy Lied" album (1975)
Geoff Dunn on Van Morrison's "Day Like This" album (1995)
Old 9th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambony View Post
I like the ring but it could handle a little more heft for my taste - I totally get what you mean about the mix... the BVs are bizarre.

1 snare recording that I like is "Guys like me" by Aimee Mann:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcDq_Dv6jI

Tony
I've somehow became obsessed with another song off of that album recently; the track called "Starz".

Snare is a little different here, but still really good, but he does some ridiculous drum break about 3/4 through the song and it absolutely kills/send chills every single time

http://youtu.be/EDoB2YNY5jw?t=2m32s
Old 9th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Shoop View Post
Something like olivia - john mayer

aaron sterling's snare sound is crazy...
Sterling hits the snare perfectly, also knows how to tune his gear right. everything I get recorded by him sounds amazing out of the box.
Old 9th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
You should really check out Gish, so you can hear Jimmy's actual snare...
Old 9th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
You should really check out Gish, so you can hear Jimmy's actual snare...
I know Gish. Even if there are a few samples on Siamese Dream, most of the sound and overall performance is his, I think Butch Vig said it himself on GS. Also it sounds like he used a 14x6.5 instead of his usual 14x5.5 (off the top of my head).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search